996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My 2.5 quiet x-cellerator from speedtech experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I'm happy with the exhaust, wife friendly. I don't daily drive my car, so I could handle it if it were a tad bit louder, I probably should have gotten the 3" version.

JS,

You do have a relatively easy option to increase the sound of your system. If you install our 3.0 single round tips, the system will get one step louder louder. It's our "sport" sound level. There are several ways to vary the sound of an exhaust system - muffler internals, piping size and tip size and shape. I like to use a combination of muffler and tip design. For large sweeping changes, you must employ both muffler and tips, but for smaller, yet substantial changes to the sound and characteristics of their system, an owner of one of our X-cellerator systems can accomplish a meaningful change with a simple tip swap. For instance, our 2.5 quiet becomes a 2.5 "sport" with our 3.0 round tips (larger outlet diameter) and our 3.0 loud becomes a 3.0 "moderate" with our 2.5 round tips (smaller outlet diameter).

If anyone has any questions regarding changing the sound level of their system, by all means PM or email me. I have done a lot of testing and tried all the combinations...

JS, it sounds like you may be a candidate for the "sport" sound/tip option.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-15-2011, 09:17 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Possibly so ..

Just not interested enough to shell out $300+ (?) for another set of tips

Would like to see a BETTER picture of your tip option #2, preferably straight on at the same level. It's taken from an upward angle, and it's real difficult to get a true feeling as to what it looks like. It may benefit others, I'm more curious than anything else. The tips appear to look very small, my initial thoughts based on that pic is that I'd prefer to have larger tips, or possibly one tip larger than the other. Hope this makes sense.

Regardless, I'm happy with the exhaust, and if I get real motivated, maybe I will consider the 3" tips, or possibly try and trade someone with a 3" system, that is looking to quiet their's down a bit

Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
JS,

You do have a relatively easy option to increase the sound of your system. If you install our 3.0 single round tips, the system will get one step louder louder. It's our "sport" sound level. There are several ways to vary the sound of an exhaust system - muffler internals, piping size and tip size and shape. I like to use a combination of muffler and tip design. For large sweeping changes, you must employ both muffler and tips, but for smaller, yet substantial changes to the sound and characteristics of their system, an owner of one of our X-cellerator systems can accomplish a meaningful change with a simple tip swap. For instance, our 2.5 quiet becomes a 2.5 "sport" with our 3.0 round tips (larger outlet diameter) and our 3.0 loud becomes a 3.0 "moderate" with our 2.5 round tips (smaller outlet diameter).

If anyone has any questions regarding changing the sound level of their system, by all means PM or email me. I have done a lot of testing and tried all the combinations...

JS, it sounds like you may be a candidate for the "sport" sound/tip option.

Last edited by JSBear; 12-15-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Here is a shot of a set with satin black ceramic coating from the rear...if you were to go this route you would want both pipes "active" for a louder sound.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 12-15-2011, 11:53 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
those look good John, do you have same pic of the single tips pls`?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
If you want Richard John can supply adapters for OEM tips. That's how I have mine and love the OE look.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
But John tells us everything else but the single tips, sounds Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad & that's not bad ***, and John PROMISES my TT will sound like a GT3 with the single tips & OEM tips are 60 mm right which is smaller that 63.5 mm so it must be a small reduction ?

Last edited by RCH; 12-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
Richard,

I am about to take one in the same spot...

2022 Cayenne White
Old 12-16-2011, 11:41 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
The single tips will grow on you if your desperate for the oem look. The inner tube will get sooty quickly and you won't even notice it unless your really looking. It just turns into looking like a huge exhaust tip. Bad ***.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I think the inner tube is what bugs me about the single tip. Other than that I like the look of the single tips the best.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I think the inner tube is what bugs me about the single tip. Other than that I like the look of the single tips the best.
On the 3" it is hardly noticeable as it is so close to the outer tube.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
Richard,

Here is a picture of the single tips from the same angle as the duals...

As to outlet size, sound, etc. - In my opinion, our SpeedTech single round tips provide the best sound of our 996TT tip options. Yes, tip size, shape and design can greatly influence the end resulting sound. The dynamics of our open chamber, dual wall design, length, etc., combine to produce a glorious GT3-like sound both inside and outside the car.

Richard, please note I said "GT3-like" sound. Of course a 996TT can not sound exactly like a normally aspirated GT3, but we have managed to engineer a unique sound for the 996TT, which is very much in the character of a GT3 vs. typical other 996TT exhausts, especially the traditional non X-flow designs. I have many others offer comments that my car sounds a lot like a GT3. Our internal center X-Flow gives our system the ability to sound GT3-ish, but if the other design elements are not in place, you can lose that tuned sound, too.

Dr. Jekll, The 2.5 tip is designed with the dual wall for a specific reason - it's our quiet version and the 2.5 tip is used to achieve a virtually drone free system for those that desire a quiet platform. It's a case of form follows function. If you remove the interior pipe and make it just a large 4" tip, the drone will go thru the roof. It's a lot less expensive to produce it that way - just stretch the metal and your done, but we take the time to produce a more involved and expensive tip in order to accomplish our sound goal for these systems. We had several sets with no inner pipe and threw them away after testing, as we did not care for the sound quality. Like Gearhead pointed out, once the tips are sooted, you do not even notice it. The inside can also be sprayed with high-temp black paint or ceramic to speed up the process. But the bottom line is they look way better in person, on the car, than in pictures. And they provide an engineered sound quality that IMO, you will enjoy so much you will forget about the dual walls. Instead you will be driving the car just to hear the exhaust! I have to agree with Scott, I think they look badass in a great way! You really have to see them installed to appreciate the aggressive look they give the rear end. When you approach the car from the rear, they look hot.

Also, unlike single skin tips which discolor immediately and permanently stain, these tips will hold the mirror polish forever - another positive feature and tangible value of this system. They clean up beautifully with just a wash of the car - a little Mothers mag polish every other month and they are showroom new looking in about one minute per tip, with hardly any effort. As I mentioned previously, these tips are expensive to produce, but that extra expense enables us to achieve these distinct advantages and offer a very high quality product, both in terms of appearance and sound.

As Nikolas pointed out (thank you Nikolas), the 3.0 tips are the same dual wall design, except the inner pipe is so close to the rolled edge, you do not even notice its dual walled. These 3.0 tips can be used on a 2.5 system to achieve our "sport" sound level. One step up from the "quiet". They are standard on the 3.0 loud version that Nikolas runs.

This brings up another aspect of our system that is unique - you are able to alter the sound of the system with component changes, as simple as a tip swap. Many people purchase an exhaust only to find they would like it a little louder or a little quieter. We have already thought of this and have you covered - chances are we can send you a component to change the sound to your liking for far less than the hit you will take selling a used exhaust and "trying" another one...I feel this is a great option/advantage we provide our customers.

As for outlet diameters - OEM is 56.5mm inside diameter and 60mm outside diameter. Our tips are 60mm inside diameter/ 63mm outside diameter, so our single tip design does not reduce the flow of our system, whereas the OEM tip will reduce flow by approx. 3 mm. Our dual tips do not reduce flow, either, but as much as I like the look of dual tips, the sound engineered into our single tip is IMO, the best that we could produce.

Final Note: We tested well over a dozen tip designs to come up with the best sound we could achieve, as great sound is what most people want out of a system. Something had to win out and it was the dual wall, open chamber single tip design. In both the 2.5 and 3.0 styles, IMO, it produces a perfect note for these cars, as many have echoed!

Now, finally - the picture!

2022 Cayenne White

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 12-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
RCH
Banned
Great post John, but these tips are not as per your website single tip pics, what is going on here ?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Basic Sponsor
Richard,

We had to restore our site recently and an early prototype picture ended up there in the resoration process (same tip, but without the dual wall design). Thanks for the heads up! Corrected now...

2022 Cayenne White

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 12-16-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:38 AM
RCH
Banned
John please see my PM, I'm ok to go ahead with my order

Old 12-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
Thanks for the order, Richard! PM sent.

2022 Cayenne White

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2.5 quiet x-cellerator from speedtech experience