996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 TURBO TORQUE IMBALANCE AFTER TUNe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
Doesn't the Sprint Booster just remaps your Drive by Wire logic? Which is typically included in a standard tune?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Yes true didn't fix my and problem but made the car amazing to drive I throughly recommend fitting one to anyone

Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simi_996
Doesn't the Sprint Booster just remaps your Drive by Wire logic? Which is typically included in a standard tune?
No, the spring booster DOES NOT remap your drive by wire logic. The sprint booster is a basic amplifier which amplifies or "boosts" the throttle pedal signal by a preset factor thus making the throttle more sensitive. In other words, if your throttle pedal is normally depressed 100%, your throttle body is open 100%. With the sprint booster, your throttle body will be 100% open when the throttle pedal is depressed a lesser amount, let's say 70% (depending on the level of amplification within the unit). Basically, the last 30% of your throttle pedal will be dead in the above example.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Simi_996
No, the spring booster DOES NOT remap your drive by wire logic. The sprint booster is a basic amplifier which amplifies or "boosts" the throttle pedal signal by a preset factor thus making the throttle more sensitive which most people will perceive to make the engine more responsive. In other words, if your throttle pedal is normally depressed 100%, your throttle body is open 100%. With the sprint booster, your throttle body will be 100% open when the throttle pedal is depressed a lesser amount, let's say 70% (depending on the level of amplification within the unit). Basically, the last 30% of your throttle pedal will be dead in the above example.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
No, the spring booster DOES NOT remap your drive by wire logic. The sprint booster is a basic amplifier which amplifies or "boosts" the throttle pedal signal by a preset factor thus making the throttle more sensitive. In other words, if your throttle pedal is normally depressed 100%, your throttle body is open 100%. With the sprint booster, your throttle body will be 100% open when the throttle pedal is depressed a lesser amount, let's say 70% (depending on the level of amplification within the unit). Basically, the last 30% of your throttle pedal will be dead in the above example.
Technically- by your explanation- there is no 'remapping of the existing throttle map in the car's memory'- but that is PRECISELY what is being done from an overall systems view.

With the sprint booster installed the conversion of 'pedal position to input signal to the DME' is remapped.... semantics? Perhaps...'remapping' can be an analog signal, or a digital table look up...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by ard
Technically- by your explanation- there is no 'remapping of the existing throttle map in the car's memory'- but that is PRECISELY what is being done from an overall systems view.

With the sprint booster installed the conversion of 'pedal position to input signal to the DME' is remapped.... semantics? Perhaps...'remapping' can be an analog signal, or a digital table look up...
Again, the sprint booster simply amplifies the throttle pedal signal which is then sent to the DME. It has nothing to do with modifying the way the DME works unlike the BMW sport button in the M cars, for example. See the link below for a detailed explanation.

http://www.peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf

Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Again, the sprint booster simply amplifies the throttle pedal signal which is then sent to the DME. It has nothing to do with modifying the way the DME works unlike the BMW sport button in the M cars, for example. See the link below for a detailed explanation.

http://www.peony888.com/VS/SprintBooster.pdf
I didn't say it modifies the DME.

It DOES 'remap' the [throttle pedal position to DME input] signal. It does this 'remapping' via an amplifier.

Don't get caught up in thinking "remap" is limited to altering the look up table (map) in the DME. From a systems viewpoint how you perform a remap is secondary to what it does.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Finally fixed my psm/abs problem !!!!

Was a poor connection to the maf.

The maf loom was tight running under my upgraded y-pipe and was pulling on the maf connection.

All i did was pull gently on the loom where it runs under the air box allowing a little more slack in the wire.

Problem fixed no more psm/abs lights on start up or ever.

Took 1.5 years to work that one out haha what a joke.

At least its finally fixed.

Last edited by timccloud; 09-08-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Congrats!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by timccloud
Finally fixed my psm/abs problem !!!!

Was a poor connection to the maf.

The maf loom was tight running under my upgraded y-pipe and was pulling on the maf connection.

All i did was pull gently on the loom where it runs under the air box allowing a little more slack in the wire.

Problem fixed no more psm/abs lights on start up or ever.

Took 1.5 years to work that one out haha what a joke.

At least its finally fixed.

all you had to do is back track when it started.... I here stories like this all the time...
I let my clients to keep a journal... then we can go back and pinpoint the issue...
like , if you take your car for a clutch job to some local shop and they drop the motor and pull some cam sensor harness etc. then scan for codes 2 weeks later remember that someones hands had to do it.. it rarely happens on its own... often clients do not want to admit it and save a buck or 2 but later find out they just got in a $3k mess...
one of my clients did just that..
So good work... and write down what you do and who does what so you can always go back in time... and scan the car each time...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Smile

Congrats never is too late

Old 09-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Yes thanks guys everyone's help was much appreciated.

I'm so happy the car is running like a dream.

Tim

Old 09-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Tim, just wondering about your setup. 1.3-1.4 bar with stock K16's? Have you data logged your car now that your other problems are fixed? Also what fuel do you run(octane) and what other supporting mods(fueling) do you have? It just sounds very high for a stock K16 setup. Just worried that you might do some damage that will cost you big later on. If the above is truly the case, I would get a hold of one of the tuners here and maybe show some data logs.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 AM
No just 1.2 bar and yes stock K16s. I run 98 octane fuel not sure what that would be in the states? Other mods are plenum, throttle body, Y pipe, waste gates, full gemballa exhaust, intercooler's, 5bar FPR, full suspension, LSD and other stuff I don't remember No Data logging may do so but have to go back to sea soon so will need to wait for my return. I appreciate your worries but think its fine its been like this for a long while now. Even with the PSM fault the car is wicked and with the rear diff dont need PSM anyway.

Car is wicked fast for stock turbos one of the fastest on the Gold Coast I have run mid 11's on the quarter and that was with the stock clutch which I had spun on the first run.

I have 852nm or 640 ft/lbs in 4th gear over 1000nm in 3rd gear with stock turbos I'm very happy.

Cheers,
Tim

Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
I didn't say it modifies the DME.

It DOES 'remap' the [throttle pedal position to DME input] signal. It does this 'remapping' via an amplifier.

Don't get caught up in thinking "remap" is limited to altering the look up table (map) in the DME. From a systems viewpoint how you perform a remap is secondary to what it does.
What pwdrhound is indicating is that it isn't a remap at all. And it isn't. When you remap you actually change the parameters and shape of a curve. The sprint in this case doesn't remap, just does a map shift. The parameters aren't changed just moved over so everything acts sooner than it normally would. Maybe it's just semantics

Originally Posted by timccloud
No just 1.2 bar and yes stock K16s. I run 98 octane fuel not sure what that would be in the states? Other mods are plenum, throttle body, Y pipe, waste gates, full gemballa exhaust, intercooler's, 5bar FPR, full suspension, LSD and other stuff I don't remember No Data logging may do so but have to go back to sea soon so will need to wait for my return. I appreciate your worries but think its fine its been like this for a long while now. Even with the PSM fault the car is wicked and with the rear diff dont need PSM anyway.

Car is wicked fast for stock turbos one of the fastest on the Gold Coast I have run mid 11's on the quarter and that was with the stock clutch which I had spun on the first run.

I have 852nm or 640 ft/lbs in 4th gear over 1000nm in 3rd gear with stock turbos I'm very happy.

Cheers,
Tim
Tim, I am sure you will be fine, but I would definitely do some data logs when you can. Good to know how safe your tune is at WOT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 TURBO TORQUE IMBALANCE AFTER TUNe