996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New 996tt owner , thanks to all the good info here!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Zmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to all
New 996tt owner , thanks to all the good info here!!

This past Sunday I picked up my first 996tt ( second 996) and it is everything I hoped it would be. I researched heavily here and because of the mass of information I was able to thouroughly check out all the typical problem areas. Only the ignition switch turned out to need attention. The writeups here are spot on, super easy task but you need to be a contortionist midget to complete. I did not remove the side vent, only the bottom longer tube. Part was $12 shipped from ebay, how is that even possible?

It's a 2001 silver/black with 33k miles. Sport seats, sunroof, hollow wheels, and H.I.D. lighting. The previous owner also installed some sort of Kenwood cd/dvd/nav thing , I'm still trying to figure all that out. Shout out to Steve Theodore for all his posts and info on sf.com , it played a large part in my decision.

Looking forward to adding to and learning from the community.

Jonathan

Attached Images     
Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
Zmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to allZmydust is a name known to all
Only mods planned so far are Straight pipes, flash, clear side markers.

Attached Images    
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Congratulations my friend, and damn happy to see you joining the ranks of happy 996TT owners. Your new-to-you car looks AWESOME and I'm really excited to hear about your plans for it.

You'll laugh to know that I bought some Fabspeed straight pipes for my own, but they are not on the car just yet. I really look forward to seeing what you do with your 996TT!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 PM
I always thought you'd be more reserved than that, more of a 300 cell cats/resonators/mufflers kind of guy ha

Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats. Your dose of modification virus will be sent to you shortly.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zmydust
I always thought you'd be more reserved than that, more of a 300 cell cats/resonators/mufflers kind of guy ha
When there is 50+ pounds of weight hanging in the balance for a weight reduction opportunity (and some added performance to be gained too), I tend to get pretty focused!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Congrats, glad to see that!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:02 PM
You might look into a couple of products from bumperplugs.com for some cheap starter mods. They make a rear windshield wiper body colored plug so you can remove that abomination before it falls and scratches your paint, and they also make some nice body colored plugs for the front license plate holes.

Here is the wiper plug, which is harder to find on their site:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/images/WiperPlug.jpg

Old 12-17-2011, 03:49 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Rear windscreen wiper

I like mine exactly where it is ... wondering why people do not like to have the ability of maintaining a good rear view in the rain...???

Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
diamondstar is infamous around these parts
Congrats..... I did the same thing back in January. Very happy with my purchase 2003 Silver 996TT. Love the silver!!!! Enjoy the ride

Scott

Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 PM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
Nice looking car. I love my 04 996TT, Carmon Red Cab

Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zmydust
Only mods planned so far are Straight pipes, flash, clear side markers.

Congrats on joining the 996TT club. I would not recommend straight pipes. You're better off with a good aftermarket exhaust with some back pressure. You'll find that straight pipes will hurt your power with stock turbos. I know this from experience.