996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Worst Car You've Worked On?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Worst Car You've Worked On?

Just recently my car's needed a few jobs carrying out

Non of the jobs should've been any trouble, but so far everything's turned into a bigger job than it really ought to have

Having spent some time working on the car I've completely fallen out of love with it

I can honestly say my 996 Turbo is without doubt the worst car I've ever had the misfortune to work on

I'm in need of some love, and I'm hoping you guys can make me feel better with some stories of cars you've worked on in the past

What cars and jobs have been especially bad for you, and what cars make the 996 seem like a holiday to work on?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
The B5 S4 is worse IMHO. Eveything sucks to get to and pulling the engine take 2x the time it does on the 996TT. And on the S4 half of the work requires front bumper removal, radiatior and support removal. The other half is an engine pull.

Don't get me wrong, the 996TT isn't as easy as an older domestic but it could be alot worse.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by VAGscum
The B5 S4 is worse IMHO. Eveything sucks to get to and pulling the engine take 2x the time it does on the 996TT. And on the S4 half of the work requires front bumper removal, radiatior and support removal. The other half is an engine pull.

Don't get me wrong, the 996TT isn't as easy as an older domestic but it could be alot worse.
QFT

I'm 1/2 way through a GT2 slave install, on jackstands in my unheated, non-insulated garage in 20 degree weather and it's 1000 times more fun to do that than work on the B5S4. Everything with that car fought me. The 996tt, while not easy to work on, is certainly much better than the B5S4.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Fire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really nice
I'm sorry that you feel the way you do but I'm sure when you get her back on the road and get some more seat time you'll be in love again!!
I was actually going to make a post about how happy I am with the engineering and design of the 996, It's my first P and I was a little worried about the labor but it's really not bad at all. Very small spaces but everything is designed to fit juussst right. Im impressed so far. I've done all the regular stuff to keep her happy,oem gt2 bumper & rear trunk/spoiler, did plugs and fuel filter yesterday. short shifter and exhaust last week, RWD converstion in the morning clutch next week!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:22 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Wait till you need to work on the top of the motor.
I've had worse and I've had alot easier, but nothing makes me more happy to finally own a car that I had posters of in my room as a child.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
All 911 are a pain in the *** to work on. Every year they get more difficult to work on yourself. The only thing that got easier was putting on headers compared to a front engine car. I've worked on BMW and MBZ which are much easier just because there is more room work.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 12-18-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 AM
laughing_guitar is infamous around these partslaughing_guitar is infamous around these parts
Saab 9000

I actually found the 996 TT to be very well engineered for maintenance. Of course, I haven't had to deal with the engine yet. But as far as suspension, brakes, front differential etc go, I thought they had designed the car very nicely to be worked on.

I also have an e30 which is alright to work on as well. Some things (like the starter) are a pain.

But by far the worst car I've had the displeasure of working on is my POS Saab 9000 Turbo. The motor was designed for the 900 chassis - i.e. longitudinal and backwards (i.e. clutch up front). The transmission on that chassis is bolted *under* the engine. Now consider that in the 9000 the same block is in a traditional transverse fwd layout. So how is the motor mounted to the chassis? Not with the standard setup of mount+bracket bolted to the block. No no. The block was designed to be braced with the transmission housing in the 900. Since that isn't there, the oil pan takes up those duties. Yup, the oilpan is a structural part of the block - and the motor mount brackets are CAST INTO the damn pan. So if you have a pan related oil leak... you guessed it... motor comes out. Jebus! And that really is just the start of it.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 AM
Erik G is infamous around these parts
I have to change my clutch slave and accumulator and I am not looking forward to this.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Fire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really nice
Originally Posted by gearhead
Wait till you need to work on the top of the motor.
I've had worse and I've had alot easier, but nothing makes me more happy to finally own a car that I had posters of in my room as a child.
Yea I'm bet, but dont ruin it for me... im trying to psych myself up now so that when i have to work on the top I'll be mentally ready for it!

I've got a 335i and a E55 that so far are much worse to work on.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 AM
sweeney186 is infamous around these parts
Actually I find my tt pretty easy work on as everything is designed to be serviced in one way,shape or form.Auto repair is my career though,so I've worked on al kinds of cars good & bad w/ the 911 on the good side.Water pump on a testarossa = pull engine,fuel pump on a late model vette-omg what moron designed that one,timing belt every 3-5 years 0n 308's thru 360's-just rediculus.Far worse out there to me

Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
BMW 3251 2001 (car#28th). Got it since 2005 and every single month I got an issue.... Pusher fan (twice, I modified it and no problem since...), wheel bearings, oil level sensor, brake switch, ball joints and support, alarm system and door unlocking, water pump, windshield water pump, headlight sprayers (twice, deactivated now...), xenon control unit, belt tensioner, power steering hoses, oil filter housing seal (bottom one), O2 sensors pre cat, fan resistor, both rear brakes backing plates corroded, caliper front left side, fuel tank breather valve, thermostat, wheel sensor, cam sensor, seat belt attachment, crank vent pipe....It is a love and hate situation ;-)

Last edited by jpflip; 12-19-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Good to hear guys

My car hasn't been a bad one - far from it, but it seems whenever something needs doing it just turns into a ball ache

My latest example, albeit a very minor one was trying to refit my alternator after replacing the voltage regulator

I've had cars with alternators far more difficult to get to, so props to Porsche for that, but that stupid mounting which makes it impossible to relocate is just poor

Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Ant grind down the ear with the big fitted washer in it just a little till it fits nice and the tighten the bolts up. Makes reinstall much easier.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by gearhead
Ant grind down the ear with the big fitted washer in it just a little till it fits nice and the tighten the bolts up. Makes reinstall much easier.
That's exactly what I did

I couldn't be doing with messing around, I took a grinder and a flap wheel to it straight away

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
After quite a few jobs on 996TTs I finally taught myself that removing more things, makes jobs MUCH easier and much quicker, and much more pleaseant bc you gain access and you never fell "stuck".

It also gives some sort of "pleasure" to work on the car bc everything feels successful and systematic, remove this, remove that, remove the next, get to the point, bolt it all back, done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worst Car You've Worked On?