996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cayman & Boxster Spoiler Mechanism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:35 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Cayman & Boxster Spoiler Mechanism

I'm looking into various options to fix my leaking spoiler rams

I'll be speaking with hydraulic cylinder companies next week to see what they recommend regarding an alternative part for the OEM ram

In the meantime I've been wondering, how do the Cayman and Boxster mechanisms work?

Are they hydraulic, or gear operated?
Could any parts be interchanged?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:37 AM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ant_8u
I'm looking into various options to fix my leaking spoiler rams

I'll be speaking with hydraulic cylinder companies next week to see what they recommend regarding an alternative part for the OEM ram

In the meantime I've been wondering, how do the Cayman and Boxster mechanisms work?

Are they hydraulic, or gear operated?
Could any parts be interchanged?
If you find a cost-effective solution I would be interested in buying it as well! Right now I have the ebay solution sitting in my house waiting for the day my spoiler fails - it's leaking already so I know it's only a matter of time.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:46 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
I'll let you all know what I find out

I've found the Boxster mechanisms are readily available on eBay, and are cheap, but I'm guessing they're a completely different design idea

I don't think they'll be interchangeable, but I need to investigate

I got my spoiler working again when I topped up the rams with leak stop fluid, but it still leaks slightly - I don't think there are any seals in the rams, so I think once they start leaking they can't be 'fixed'

I'll find a solution somehow
Hoping a hydraulics company has a similar style of ram with a seal inside which will replace the OEM rams

Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bng4god
If you find a cost-effective solution I would be interested in buying it as well! Right now I have the ebay solution sitting in my house waiting for the day my spoiler fails - it's leaking already so I know it's only a matter of time.
I just installed the extended kit (from Jack on Ebay). My hydraulics were still working too -- but I like the wing at the slightly higher position (about 1.5" higher than stock). I'm also getting the GT2 Add On Wing and think it will look better fixed.

As an aside, it's strange that the wings go up and down. The whole idea of a wing is that it provides more down force at higher speeds, and doesn't really cost you anything at lower speeds (unlike extra weight would).

Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerodude
I just installed the extended kit (from Jack on Ebay). My hydraulics were still working too -- but I like the wing at the slightly higher position (about 1.5" higher than stock). I'm also getting the GT2 Add On Wing and think it will look better fixed.

As an aside, it's strange that the wings go up and down. The whole idea of a wing is that it provides more down force at higher speeds, and doesn't really cost you anything at lower speeds (unlike extra weight would).
If you don't mind, could we see pictures of the kit you bought installed? His pictures seem to only include the standard kit and I'd like to see what the extended kit looks like on the car. Thanks!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:47 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
The 986/987 spoiler mechanism is cable actuated unlike the hydraulic setup on the 996. It's a motor/cable/guide mechanism similar to most VAG and Porsche sunroof mechanisms.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by RennFab
The 986/987 spoiler mechanism is cable actuated unlike the hydraulic setup on the 996. It's a motor/cable/guide mechanism similar to most VAG and Porsche sunroof mechanisms.
Thank you
Saved me a bit of time there!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
If you don't mind, could we see pictures of the kit you bought installed? His pictures seem to only include the standard kit and I'd like to see what the extended kit looks like on the car. Thanks!
More than happy to take and post some pictures. I should be able to get pictures up by this weekend.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:20 AM
As requested, here are a couple of pictures of the stock wing with the extended kit.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
That looks terrific...thank you for sharing the photos! Did you get the instructions to disassemble the factory assembly with the kit, or did you reference them online somewhere? I do have the PDF version of the factory service manual but it's a bit hard to make out the pictures for all the specific parts on that.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
That looks terrific...thank you for sharing the photos! Did you get the instructions to disassemble the factory assembly with the kit, or did you reference them online somewhere? I do have the PDF version of the factory service manual but it's a bit hard to make out the pictures for all the specific parts on that.
The kit came with detailed instructions on removing the factory hydraulics system. It's very straight forward and easy. The only place I got stuck for a bit is that you do need an external snap ring tool. Other than the hydraulics, the kit reuses much of the existing factory hardware. Actually, I was initially surprised at how simple the kit is (the largest parts are a couple of long threaded rods). The cost of the parts must be pretty low --- I think you're really paying for the design and knowledge.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:30 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm in the broken spoiler grey zone.

I just replaced my whole spoiler actuator system 3 years ago (porsche parts warranty is 2yrs). for leaking rams and now the drive unit failed!

1. I have an extra GT2 wing blade (unpainted) if anybody wants to make me an offer.

2. I'm also looking for a functional drive motor for anybody who has leaking rams but an intact motor.

Let me know, will consider a trade as well!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by ttpopo
I'm in the broken spoiler grey zone.

I just replaced my whole spoiler actuator system 3 years ago (porsche parts warranty is 2yrs). for leaking rams and now the drive unit failed!

1. I have an extra GT2 wing blade (unpainted) if anybody wants to make me an offer.

2. I'm also looking for a functional drive motor for anybody who has leaking rams but an intact motor.

Let me know, will consider a trade as well!
Just went to a fixed spoiler to avoid the hassle in the future (I also like the extended spoiler look better). Sent you a PM.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
The kit came with detailed instructions on removing the factory hydraulics system. It's very straight forward and easy. The only place I got stuck for a bit is that you do need an external snap ring tool. Other than the hydraulics, the kit reuses much of the existing factory hardware. Actually, I was initially surprised at how simple the kit is (the largest parts are a couple of long threaded rods). The cost of the parts must be pretty low --- I think you're really paying for the design and knowledge.
Thanks again for the continued information about this mod, which I'm definitely considering more and more (thanks in part to your photos). Do you find that the stock 996TT wing blade looks aggressive enough in the raised position, or will you be considering alternative wings such as the GT2 wing blade, etc?

Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks again for the continued information about this mod, which I'm definitely considering more and more (thanks in part to your photos). Do you find that the stock 996TT wing blade looks aggressive enough in the raised position, or will you be considering alternative wings such as the GT2 wing blade, etc?

Happy New Year!
Funny you ask -- Just a couple of weeks back, I picked up a Misha GT2 Add-On wing with the intention of installing that wing with the fixed spoiler kit. I'm planning on getting the Misha wing painted this week.

Since the Misha wing already sits up a bit, I'll probably have the Misha wing in the lowest position most of the time. However, I do like the option of raising it if I feel like it (maybe for track events ).

I ended up getting the fixed spoiler kit first, and installed that with the stock wing in the extended position to try it out. It turns out that I like that look more than I originally thought I would. Therefore, I might switch between the stock and Misha wing from time to time (isn't that why people have multiple sets of wheels too?).