996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What Camera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Wedged the iPhone4 running Harry's LapTimer into bumper of my Traxxas RC car. Running big gears and 11.1V -54mph.

I've seen several vids with the GoPro and it is a very impressive setup. I just tried to get by with what I had.
Great videos! I use the iPhone4 with Harry's Lap Timer as well (with the TomTom mount). It's a great setup. I use the GoPro for the external view. Not sure I'd put the iPhone on the outside of my Porsche though .

Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM
FineProperty is infamous around these parts
The Contour has some cool mounts, it doesn't come with the suction cup though. Better off car video, ski helmets, karts, etc since it's more aerodynamic. Slide power switch is easier. Built in laser lets you adjust the lens to correct for angle mounting. Still works well for racing, 170 degree lens. Can run in the rain without an extra case around it, but has a waterproof setup for diving. Replaceable lens if it gets hit.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FineProperty
The Contour has some cool mounts, it doesn't come with the suction cup though. Better off car video, ski helmets, karts, etc since it's more aerodynamic. Slide power switch is easier. Built in laser lets you adjust the lens to correct for angle mounting. Still works well for racing, 170 degree lens. Can run in the rain without an extra case around it, but has a waterproof setup for diving. Replaceable lens if it gets hit.
...And I have to admit that the Contour looks a little better mounted on the outside of the car. I've read some reviews that claim the GoPro picture quality and sound are a little better. You can do a search on "Contour vs. GoPro" and you'll get a lot of material to review. Both seem to get the job done with some pros and cons at the margins depending on what you're looking for. I did find this video to be interesting to watch:

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM
beegee is infamous around these parts
there is a camera review in the February 2012 issue of Car & Driver. in a nutshell, they gave the GoPro HD Hero2 their Top Pick.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Here is a video I took with the iPhone 4 and Harry's lap time from my E46 M3. I used a $7 Dollar General suction cup mount. It worked great.

Later, Steve

Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
Great video, Steve. I've read a lot of nice things about using the iPhone 4 w/ Harry's Lap Timer and will check it out. Great video and data correlation.

I've got a GoPro Hero2 mounted on my harness bar so I can record driver hand positions, control inputs, etc in the video also. Will then synch GP video w/ HLT data. I'm having an issue with that setup because the harness bar for the 996 Cab (BK R-1029) is lower and more aft than most (because of its attach points), and I need to position the GoPro higher and more forward. Does anyone know of any good extensions for the GoPro that would work to bring it 6-8' from the roll bar mount? Or would that transmit too much vibration to the camera?

Thx,
Tim