996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What Camera?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
What Camera?

Looking at getting a video camera for use in the car

I haven't got and won't be fitting a roll bar, so would need to think about mounting positions

I'd like something I can shoot video and stills with, but another idea would be to buy a bullet camera and fit it into the front grilles

What's everybody using?

Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 AM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
I just got a GoPro Hero2 Motorsports version from Santa. Great camera for stills, time elapsed, and video. Came with a suction cup and sticky mounts for mounting it anywhere on/in the car. Tested it with a quick spin mounted on the inside of the windshield with the suction cup camera facing forward and it worked great. You could also mount it on your rear glass looking up through the ****pit to pick up driver work as well. I've seen guys mount it on the outside of their cars at the track, but wonder how well the suction cup works at 130 mph. So far, so good.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I've seen guys come off the track with those suction cup mounts on the outside of the car. Bloody amazing they stay on at speed like that, but apparently they do. The guy I saw had it top centre of the windshield on the outside.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Go ProHero 2.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM
SaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really niceSaintGT2 is just really nice
Had this question years ago and I wish someone had told me what I am about to share.

I have used (and still use);

· Gopro- bought 3 of them when they first were released.

Positives- super mobile, small, water proof, attaches to almost anything, awesome for mobile sports- bikes, go karts, water sports etc. I still use mine for boating.

Negatives- batteries, have to press record every time, picture quality vs. what I am using now, access to SD Card.

I have used these in the past on the top of my car and was doing 220+kph down the straight with no suction issues, but it was on my mind, what would happen if it came off and hit the car behind????

· Bullet cameras x2 and an attached recording device. ½

Positives- easier to press record than gopro, bigger batteries, great picture.
Negatives-no lap times, no cam bus, no software to edit recordings.

Then I went to;

· Racelogic Vbox-lite

Positives-lap times, lap data, GPS, track overview, starts recording when vehicle moves past set speed, no batteries, hidden in car, superb picture quality, quick to change SD Cards and can have one for each driver. Software that comes with the camera.

Negatives- once installed you don’t want to move it again (bad if you have 2 cars), only 2 cameras plugs (Vbox pro has more), cost versus the other options.

I should also add, I also bought the Gbox, from them as well, so if I had just went for the Vbox in the first place I would have saved myself a whole lot of money and time.
But if others can use my experience as a lesson, then I guess it’s worth it.

However if you want the best for in car videos then the one to buy is the Vbox PRO , without question and without compromise, it will do everything. I will be buying this for the next car I buy!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Former Vendor
Watercooled Ind is infamous around these parts
I would recommend the GoPro as well. Takes very good quality video and the unit itself is very inexpensive. Best of luck!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 AM
DownNout87 is infamous around these parts
Another vote for the GoPro.

I've got the Original HD Hero and the new HD Hero 2 and they're both amazing.

SaintGT2: if you keep running out of battery, have you looked into picking up the Battery BacPac? It almost doubles the battery life..

As for having to hit the record button, in a few weeks (hopefully), GoPro is coming out with their new Wi-Fi bacpac so you'll have a remote to turn on the GoPro.

More info here: http://www.goprofanatics.com/mounts-...fi-remote.html

Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Speedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud ofSpeedfreak has much to be proud of
Contour GPS

http://contour.com/

Old 01-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Slider
I've seen guys come off the track with those suction cup mounts on the outside of the car. Bloody amazing they stay on at speed like that, but apparently they do. The guy I saw had it top centre of the windshield on the outside.
I can confirm the power of the GoPro suction cups. I was concerned at first -- but have never had a problem with the camera mounted anywhere on the car.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I use iPhone4, TomTom mount, and Harry's Lap Timer app. Checkout my lap vids on Utube (Etchhead). $100 investment for a decent setup.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Just watched the Traxxas

Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Rennline has a tow hook adapter for the gopro...fyi.

jb

Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Just watched the Traxxas
Haha have a gear change that pumps it up to 60mph- not bad for a brushless motor on LiPo

Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on the GoPro. The new GoPro mounts are pretty solid. Just make sure you clean up whatever area you plan to stick it to, and you should have no problems.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Wedged the iPhone4 running Harry's LapTimer into bumper of my Traxxas RC car. Running big gears and 11.1V -54mph.

I've seen several vids with the GoPro and it is a very impressive setup. I just tried to get by with what I had.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Camera?