996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Car trailer guys: Advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Car trailer guys: Advice needed

What is the minimum length I should consider in an enclosed trailer (to haul the 996TT)? I've found some new 20' enclosed Haulmarks in the $5500 range, Is this a good deal?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
jdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on how much stuff you want to carry, I would consider 20' a minimum size. I had a 20' carrying an e36 M3, and it was a bit tight with a tool box and additional tires (on a storage rack).

I think a 24' is just about perfect for a single car, and still able to be towed by a reasonable vehicle.

Just my $.02.

Jon

Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Good points. Any drawbacks to a flat "open" trailer?

Originally Posted by jdholder
Depending on how much stuff you want to carry, I would consider 20' a minimum size. I had a 20' carrying an e36 M3, and it was a bit tight with a tool box and additional tires (on a storage rack).

I think a 24' is just about perfect for a single car, and still able to be towed by a reasonable vehicle.

Just my $.02.

Jon

Old 12-28-2011, 11:36 AM
jdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond reputejdholder has a reputation beyond repute
Security, lack of built in storage and exposure to the elements are the big downsides.

In my 20' trailer, I had a built in rack for 8 wheels/tires (track setup and rains) and a roll-on/roll-off tool chest that was strapped down and pretty much lived in the trailer.

If all you are doing is getting the car to and from the track, and you have a limited tool set that you can throw in the back of the truck, then an open trailer is good. You can even build a tire rack on the front of the open trailer to transport your rains/track setup, but I wouldn't leave them out in the hot sun in between track weekends.

Really depends on what your goal is. My car was a dedicated racecar, but I started with a 16' open, then built a rack, then bought a 20' enclosed, then a 24' enclosed, then bought another car and bought a 48' enclosed for two cars (but then you need a 1 ton truck to pull it). It's a snowball.

My FAVORITE trailer i have EVER owned was my 24' TPD enclosed. Triple axle, amazingly easy to tow, very good build quality.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
24' minimum. Trust me.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 AM
TWI
TWI has a spectacular aura aboutTWI has a spectacular aura about
I'll thrown in an additional vote for the 24' enclosed as my the best compromise between a manageable size and adequate storage in my opinion. Properly set up, you can tow it with a current full size truck (Ram 1500/Silverado/F150) or larger SUV (Suburban/Excursion) but still have adequate room inside for the car, tools, easy-up's, tires and a decent work area. Once you move up to 28', you pretty much need to be in HD truck territory to comfortably tow.

I'd also suggest looking into aluminum trailers. I've got an ATC Aluminum 24' trailer that weighs in +/- 1000lbs less than most steel 24' trailers and that lets me stuff more gear inside of it while still staying comfortably under the 9000lb tow capacity of my 1500 series Ram.

Tal

Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Do you know if my 4.7L Tundra could handle the 24' with the Pcar and some gear?

Originally Posted by TWI
I'll thrown in an additional vote for the 24' enclosed as my the best compromise between a manageable size and adequate storage in my opinion. Properly set up, you can tow it with a current full size truck (Ram 1500/Silverado/F150) or larger SUV (Suburban/Excursion) but still have adequate room inside for the car, tools, easy-up's, tires and a decent work area. Once you move up to 28', you pretty much need to be in HD truck territory to comfortably tow.

I'd also suggest looking into aluminum trailers. I've got an ATC Aluminum 24' trailer that weighs in +/- 1000lbs less than most steel 24' trailers and that lets me stuff more gear inside of it while still staying comfortably under the 9000lb tow capacity of my 1500 series Ram.

Tal

Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM
TWI
TWI has a spectacular aura aboutTWI has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Do you know if my 4.7L Tundra could handle the 24' with the Pcar and some gear?
You'll be right at the edge. 30 seconds of googling indicate a +/- 8200lb towing capacity on most 4.7L Tundras. A typical steel 24' enclosed trailer is going to be +/- 4000lbs. That leaves you 3200lbs of car and 1000lbs of tire/tools/fuel/gear. That does not leave you much, if any, room for cabinets and a work bench.

You'll need to add a transmission cooler if the truck does not already have one, a good trailer brake controller (I like the Tekonsha P3) and a good weight distributing and sway control hitch system.

Edit - it is not like the world will end if you exceed your towing capacity by a few pounds, especially in a chassis where a larger motor gets you a larger towing capacity, but I personally like to keep my towing limits a few hundred pounds under the max. I've done a lot of towing in excess of the stated limits - but that was towing a 3000lb boat with a Jeep rated at 2000lbs (which is rated at 4000lbs everywhere else in the world). When you are talking about pulling 4 tons, I take the limits a little more seriously as the consequences of a problem are proportionally larger.

Tal

Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
^^ What is the tow rating of that Tundra as equipped?

I always recommend 'derating'... although they may SAY "6000 lbs" (for example) life at 6000 lbs will suck. 25%? Pick your number, but give yourself a margin.

IMO

A

Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Go enclosed and go as big as you can. The only problem with trailers is where to store them, if you don't have a little land to play with. You saw my 28 foot enclosed when I was in Texas. I hauled my TT and 2 bikes with a sh*tload of gear half way across the country, never had to worry about security and everything sat in my trailer for a few days after I got home too....

Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Why the need for a trailer, Toddimus? You live in the center of the high hp universe, already.

Unless you are going Jamie Carter on us and looking to trailer to a call out

Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Why the need for a trailer, Toddimus? You live in the center of the high hp universe, already.

Unless you are going Jamie Carter on us and looking to trailer to a call out

I'm going to tow the car to events like Texas Mile and The Texas Invitational.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I see...yes the mile is way the heck out there.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Todd just rent one when you need it.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
the problem with trailers is that you can never get one big enough, and you constantly find yourself upgrading. 24ft should be good to start with.