996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tapping transmission case for GT2 slave conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:49 PM
02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future
I opted to take from the bellhousing rather than the fork.

I put the GT2 booster spring in when i did the kit and it is perfect!!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
No ratttle here - just a very low engagement point. Based on the GT2 transmission machining, I would say on the TT to add 1/4" to the rod and consider it done.

Mine works perfectly with no machining or added length, so by adding the 1/4", you would move the engagement point up a bit, which in my opinion would be perfect.
Hey John,
You sell the Evoms GT2 conversion kit if I'm not mistaken. Why doesn't EVOMS package the kit with a longer rod to make the engagement point correct (not too low). It seems a little odd that if someone purchases this kit that they have to modify the rod length to get a proper engagement point. I understand that a low engagement point does not hurt anything but why not built the kit with parts that will produce a "normal" engagement point on the clutch to start with? I've thought about getting this done at some point but don't want to end up with a clutch that engages too high or too low.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 02turbo996
I opted to take from the bellhousing rather than the fork.

I put the GT2 booster spring in when i did the kit and it is perfect!!
I'm sorry, maybe I missed it earlier, but what is the advantage of doing all these mods to the gearbox as spelled out in this thread as opposed to just bolting on the conversion kit like the one sold by Speedtech? Is there any performance advantage per se?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:07 PM
02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future02turbo996 has a brilliant future
Well, i guess if you don't mind the extra work you save money, use non modified OEM parts and save a little on weight. It was more of a personal decision for me because i wanted it like Porsche made it for the GT2.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I don't have the EVOMS kit in my car. I did mine before EVOMS had a kit available. We did it from scratch using 993 GT2 parts - I wanted better clutch feel and my tech, a very experienced 993 guy had the idea - there was no kit available from anyone, so we purchased the parts, had a custom line made and installed it. We did not change the booster spring or modify the pump like EVOMS does. This is the first 996TT GT2 conversion I am aware of, so it was an experiment that went well. I mentioned it on the forum and owners were very skeptical to try it. However, one or two did and talked it up positively and the concept began to grow.

That said, I am not certain where the EVOMS kit engages. I have sold many, but never used one. I'm thinking it probably engages a little higher than mine, but I am not sure. Also, there is nothing wrong with engaging just off the floor, it works absolutley fine and is very easy to drive. I just "think" it would be better a little higher, but I could end up finding I like it lower, you never know...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I'm sorry, maybe I missed it earlier, but what is the advantage of doing all these mods to the gearbox as spelled out in this thread as opposed to just bolting on the conversion kit like the one sold by Speedtech? Is there any performance advantage per se?
Well, i guess if you don't mind the extra work you save money, use non modified OEM parts and save a little on weight. It was more of a personal decision for me because i wanted it like Porsche made it for the GT2.
I like the fact that mine is done as Porsche intened, as well - it's a nice simple, lightweight design.

However, if I were to do it again today, I would just buy the EVOMS kit and have it installed rather than experiment. You get all the parts in one stop, it's a direct bolt on application with no fabrication required and you have tech support. It's a much easier path and easier job with the kit for basically the same result - dramatically improved clutch feel.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
I'm wondering why in the world Porsche made the overly complex and failure prone clutch release mechanism the way they did in the first place. Are the crowd that purchase new Turbos so soft that they require a sissy easy clutch pedal that one could push with their *****?

Sorry, had good beer tonight. But seriously, I'm wondering?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:08 AM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Hey John,
You sell the Evoms GT2 conversion kit if I'm not mistaken. Why doesn't EVOMS package the kit with a longer rod to make the engagement point correct (not too low). It seems a little odd that if someone purchases this kit that they have to modify the rod length to get a proper engagement point. I understand that a low engagement point does not hurt anything but why not built the kit with parts that will produce a "normal" engagement point on the clutch to start with? I've thought about getting this done at some point but don't want to end up with a clutch that engages too high or too low.
I purchased and installed the evoms kit. It came with a longer rod

Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nick49
I'm wondering why in the world Porsche made the overly complex and failure prone clutch release mechanism the way they did in the first place. Are the crowd that purchase new Turbos so soft that they require a sissy easy clutch pedal that one could push with their *****?

Sorry, had good beer tonight. But seriously, I'm wondering?
Based on production numbers and sales I would say yes they are. Their are still die hard Porsche guys owning them too, but the 996TT marked the transition of a breed of car that was previously off limits to the limp wristed or faint of heart to be accepted by people who were otherwise looking at more cruiser type vehicles. But to be honest Porsche wasn't the first company to push to make their sports cars openly acceptable to the masses. Let's not forget that Ferrari didn't install power steering in their cars until the 90s. And it used to be that you could put joe blow in a ferrari or Porsche and they would struggle to get the car out of the parking lot due to the stubborn gearboxes, lack of power steering and awfully stiff clutch pedals. Now my mother could drive my car and she has horrible arthritis.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Morden314 is infamous around these parts
Porsche probably didn't intend for the clutch system to fail. Conceptually it looks good, but cost cutting got too aggressive so the made in Norway slave cylinder fails. They redesigned the accumulator but maybe their parts department likes selling slave cylinder since that part is what should be redesigned or outsourced to a more reliable manufacturer.

It seems that non-GT porsche are more grand-touring and the really good stuff is reserved for the GT models. Only thing for me is that there is no rear seat for kids option on the GT's

Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Morden314
Porsche probably didn't intend for the clutch system to fail. Conceptually it looks good, but cost cutting got too aggressive so the made in Norway slave cylinder fails. They redesigned the accumulator but maybe their parts department likes selling slave cylinder since that part is what should be redesigned or outsourced to a more reliable manufacturer.

It seems that non-GT porsche are more grand-touring and the really good stuff is reserved for the GT models. Only thing for me is that there is no rear seat for kids option on the GT's
Thanks! Do you know exactly what in the slave cylinder fails? Most likely an o-ring or seal that causes pressurized fluid from the P/S pump to somehow bypass the slave piston and move upstream overfilling the master reservoir?

Not that I'd do it but wondering if the failure prone OE slave could be repaired using a different seal or even be gutted and modded to work without the power boost from the P/S pump similar to the GT2 slave.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
I purchased and installed the evoms kit. It came with a longer rod
So the clutch engagement point seems normal with the evoms kit since they have a longer rod? Does the kit come with the stiffer GT2 assist spring?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
Chad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really nice
Yes, the EVOMS kit comes with a stronger booster spring as part of the kit. Below is a picture of the EVOMS kit we sell - it includes everything you require, including the new fluid:

facebook
YouTube see our videos

Email-Chad@speedtechexhausts.com
Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM
OK, i went for the first drive and i love how the clutch feels. Shifts are sooo smooth now. The only thing i need to fix is that it engages to high. I guess i should have left the slave rod as it was. i need to put a stock GT2 one in and i bet it'll be perfect.

Anyone have a stock GT2 slave rod you can part with?

-Ed

Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 02turbo996
OK, i went for the first drive and i love how the clutch feels. Shifts are sooo smooth now. The only thing i need to fix is that it engages to high. I guess i should have left the slave rod as it was. i need to put a stock GT2 one in and i bet it'll be perfect.

Anyone have a stock GT2 slave rod you can part with?

-Ed
It may need to be shorter to make the engagement lower? I assume you had to cut it, or did you lengthen it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tapping transmission case for GT2 slave conversion