996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tapping transmission case for GT2 slave conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:23 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
drill and tap for me.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:26 AM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Both you and 32crazy have a triple disc and the clutch engages high/at the top in both cases. Must be the the design of the clutch since it seems most triples engage high.
That was where I was going with it. Bracket- needs longer rod
Drill and tap- does not.

Even then I'm not sure it will change the point of engagement.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Slider
Absolutely, when the bracket method is used, the slave is further out and would require a longer rod to keep the engagement point in the same place.
Engagement point doesn't change with rod length. But the bracket method does require a longer rod to prevent the slave from falling apart. If the rod is too short, the piston in the slave cylinder will pop out of the end of the slave when you fully depress the clutch.

I tried a number of different rod lengths (ended up making my own out of a steel rod) and none of them changed the engagement point. The engagement point is primarily determined by the clutch itself.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Good point!

Old 02-13-2015, 12:15 PM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
I'd think modding the master would do it though.

Or a clutch stop...I'd do that instead of modding the master but I'm ok with my engagement point with the new clutch, flywheel and slave conversion.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:56 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
A stop just limits the travel right? Don't you end up with a pedal that doesn't have much movement? Has to be adjusted if the clutch wears much? Really sux the OEM setup has no adjustment!

Old 02-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Ya but to me that was frustrating part. I could deal with the small window of engagement. I was just lacking the muscle memory of the first part of engagement.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
My RSTi grabs about 2inches off the damn floor. I really really hate having engagement at either limit of the travel and I will be working to solve that on that car come Spring. The 996, with stock hydraulics engages FAR higher. I don't like that either but it's not so high the clutch isn't fully engaging and not so low it isn't fully disengaging - but swapping between them is a serious PITA. Removing the spring that was PULLING my clutch pedal up really helped with feel. for some reason folks think that thing is a helper spring, it's not unless you count it keeping the CC switch engaged! I'm going to adjust the CC spring instead and leave that piece of evil out. I will swap to GT2 hardware next my clutch is out, nice to have the list of parts to begin gathering!

Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Good point! Travel may be overcome by using some boxer parts. Working on this remedy as I type...

Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Sorry "BLKMGK." I was quoting "Stilov, I think it may apply to both though.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:56 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
guys you overthinking this. its hydraulic. no matter what rods in what place you use it the hydraulics overcome the excess travel. the only way your going to change the height of the pedal of any clutch installed is to change the angle of the pedal itself. the triple disk clutches seem to raise the point due to the amount of plates and position of the t/o bearing in relation to the factory clutch but once the gt2 slave is in place it is a consistent engagement. muscle memory will be the easiest and cheapest way to go

Old 02-14-2015, 11:47 AM
My Subaru has an adjustable length rod to change point of engagement, all of the STi do. Length of rod will change where in the pedal travel the engagement point occurs because it changes the point where the pressure is high enough to get the movement required. Changing angles can change rate of pressure build up which should change pedal feel and perhaps give a larger slip area if you can get finer movement by slower pressure change rate. We aren't completely at the mercy of the clutch pressure plate

Old 02-14-2015, 12:20 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
My Subaru has an adjustable length rod to change point of engagement, all of the STi do. Length of rod will change where in the pedal travel the engagement point occurs because it changes the point where the pressure is high enough to get the movement required. Changing angles can change rate of pressure build up which should change pedal feel and perhaps give a larger slip area if you can get finer movement by slower pressure change rate. We aren't completely at the mercy of the clutch pressure plate
First, two separate cars with two different systems. Maybe they are designed exactly the same, but you're assuming that because something works on an STi that it'll work on our cars.

Also, you're talking about adjusting the rod length of master cylinder, right? That may effect the pedal travel and to a certain extent engagement point. You're basically taking the play out of the pedal's connection to the master and preloading the hydraulic system. But again, that's assuming our systems actually have a significant amount of play in the pedal/master assembly like the STi apparently does.

But that's not what we're talking about when we refer to "rod length." We're referring to the rod length at the slave cylinder end. Adjusting the rod length at the slave end won't have any affect on engagement point unless the rod is *WAY* too short and there's play in the clutch TOB fork.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:57 PM
I think I follow, so perhaps an adjustable rod into the clutch master then? I've not ever had to pull mine so I don't know if that's feasible either - locking nut would be captive ;-) Other platforms can adjust clutch take up and I know some cars I've had the rod into the master has had to be tweaked. My RSTi has an adjustment up under the dash that's apparently a pita and needs to be tweaked. I think a rod that was sleeved and threaded might be better but I don't know how much compression force it's under. Fiddling bore sizes and whatnot seems a bigger hassle.
Actually no, I'm talking about adjusting the rod into the master, the point made prior to the post I'm quoting about adjusting slave rod length made sense. The only issue I can see with doing this is pushing too much fluid and overextending the slave. A clutch stop can prevent this, one is already available even.

It might also be possible to change bore but harder to do with OEM parts I'd imagine. As to design, is it not a fixed ratio pedal? I understand the concept

P.S. I've ordered a Boxster clutch master to see what can be done with it.

Last edited by BLKMGK; 02-14-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:59 PM
Actually no, I'm talking about adjusting the rod into the master, the point made prior to the post I'm quoting about adjusting slave rod length made sense. The only issue I can see with doing this is pushing too much fluid and overextending the slave. A clutch stop can prevent this, one is already available even. It might also be possible to change bore but harder to do with OEM parts I'd imagine. As to design, is it not a fixed ratio pedal? I understand the concept P.S. I've ordered a Boxster clutch master to see what can be done with it.
Keep me on the loop on the boxer slave. I spoke with a spec boxer nut, he said he could probably make this work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tapping transmission case for GT2 slave conversion