996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pressure test, not holding pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Pressure test, not holding pressure

I appear to be having the same problem as mentioned in this thread, particularly starting with post #12 in the thread.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sure-leak.html

When I pressure test, air is bleeding out through the same vent hose (which connects to to the drivers side intake piping before the turbo. This thread points to the check valve (#16 in the diagram in the thread above - Post #12). Can anyone confirm ?

Second problem is this check valve part # 996 110 135 70 ? It's not available in the Porsche US warehouse (out of stock), someone must have one in stock ? Otherwise I will have to wait several weeks. Car is a part, just finished coils and plugs and wanted to pressure test thoroughly since the rear bumper is off and everything is accessible.

Your help is appreciated.

Jonas

Last edited by JSBear; 12-30-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:43 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Could be several things including a line off (there is practically no barbs on the check valves and they blow off), diverter valves and lines, or the F hose may be cracked or off...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Car is holding no pressure, and ALL the air is exiting through

part #19 (circled in blue in the thread linked above, post #12). I really can't pressure test since it's circulating back through this hose, which is NOT connected, as I have removed the intake pipe on the drivers side (and passenger for that matter), and connected Marski's pressure testing device to the intake side on both turbo's.

I believe this check valve is supposed to BLOCK air from the intake plenum behind the TB.

Originally Posted by raineycd
Could be several things including a line off (there is practically no barbs on the check valves and they blow off), diverter valves and lines, or the F hose may be cracked or off...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Hold up that line should leak boost out to that part that is circled. It should stop anything from going up steam. If that valve was leaking you would get a high idle.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Here is a pic

Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Confused ... The thread referenced said otherwise. Here is a pic. So when I pressure test, air is exiting through 19, which is currently disconnected as I needed to remove the intake piping in front of the turbo to connect the pressure tester. So 19 feeds down the engine bay to the intake piping on the drivers side before the turbo.

Appreciate your help.

Last edited by JSBear; 12-30-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes the arrow on that check valve (19) points to the inlet of the turbo.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM
here is a clearer pic

Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM
So does this hose need to be plugged in order to pressure test then ?, it would seem so, as it is connected to the IPD intake plenum, which is obviously under pressure. Maybe I'm just not testing properly ?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM
This is part 15, and the vent line part 19 ...

The check valve I'm referring to is part 16 in my pic above, I was under the impression this valve should BLOCK air flow from the intake plenum to parts 15, 19 etc.

So much plumbing, trying to dive in and learn more about this car, it seems unless you are willing to dive in, you are unlikely to get everything sorted

Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Here is a pic

Last edited by JSBear; 12-30-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 PM
I test the entire system from the air cleaner.. I use smoke. I will test at the inlet of the turbo only to check that the hose clamps and hoses will hold STEADY psi not as in doing a leak down test.. If you have a leak smoke at 1 psi will find it. I do not care what anyone else tells you. When they test natural gas lines they use inches of mercury, that it not even 1 psi and that will tell you if you have a leak.

I dont know how you are going to plug it off it is a hard plastic line, can not squeeze it. How about clipping it on the piece it connects to and cap both of those ends with jim caps from the depot? The majority of problems are between the maf and the inlet of the turbos, That lets in un metered air. post turbo to TB you will hear when you drive and will only make the car run rich.

I have the part and can ship it to you if you would like? Nothing better then see for yourself, That how I learned.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Well if it is part 16 then yes it does. I think it is the same check valve. I can send it if you want?

Old 12-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks you, I have a few PM's into Marski, maybe my

testing procedures are incorrect.

I may take you up on your offer, let me see how things progress.

I test the entire system from the air cleaner.. I use smoke. I will test at the inlet of the turbo only to check that the hose clamps and hoses will hold STEADY psi not as in doing a leak down test.. If you have a leak smoke at 1 psi will find it. I do not care what anyone else tells you. When they test natural gas lines they use inches of mercury, that it not even 1 psi and that will tell you if you have a leak.

I dont know how you are going to plug it off it is a hard plastic line, can not squeeze it. How about clipping it on the piece it connects to and cap both of those ends with jim caps from the depot? The majority of problems are between the maf and the inlet of the turbos, That lets in un metered air. post turbo to TB you will hear when you drive and will only make the car run rich.

I have the part and can ship it to you if you would like? Nothing better then see for yourself, That how I learned.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Its on my desk my man. Happy New year.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Could we chat briefly ?

Well if it is part 16 then yes it does. I think it is the same check valve. I can send it if you want?
I can pm my #, or maybe you could pm me your #.

3 day weekend, would like to try and get a better understanding, possibly get this finished up and back together.

Jonas

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pressure test, not holding pressure