996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

VIDEOS: Akkurat Track Pipes on 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 06:12 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
VIDEOS: Akkurat Track Pipes on 996TT

Since a few of you have asked before and again now (that goes for you Craig lol) I did find a couple of videos from last year (December I think?) when I was running low boost at the drag strip. We never planned on making these, it was just James' idea for my car and then for James' GT2. It's a PIA to do and means hacking up a stock exhaust so I'm not sure we'll ever actually "sell" them or anything but if there's enough of you that want it I'll twist his arm to do it. Plus I can play with a plasma cutter

Right click and save as:

First video is at idle with some reving and flames. Oh and at 165mph...

http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/vids/straightpipes.wmv

Second one is what it sounds like in the 1/4mile. To give you an idea it stays almost as loud at the end of the track

http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/vids/another11.wmv

To sum up. It's super light, it's not pretty and it's downright loud and for OFFROAD use ONLY. Yes it shoots flames.... Don't ask it it resonates either

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2005, 06:14 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
Hey Alex

Does it resonate??

Old 05-11-2005, 06:16 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by vipertestarossa
Hey Alex

Does it resonate??

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2005, 06:17 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by sharkster

Old 05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i guess sharky's wife is getting better...!

Old 05-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by 20C4S
i guess sharky's wife is getting better...!
Well upper GI checked out ok (basically ruled out) but as much as I hate hospitals at least you can get wireless these days She's doing good today considering all the **** they're poking, proding and messing her with.... Oh and the EKG was good too!

Last edited by sharkster; 05-11-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:27 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts

so loud!! not good for your hearing!

Old 05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Thanks Sharky.

What do you think the HP gain is over a catless exhaust running through a muffler?

Craig

Old 05-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Craig
Thanks Sharky.

What do you think the HP gain is over a catless exhaust running through a muffler?

Craig
A good question to which I do not have the answer right now. Mike@EVO has them and the car so we'll find out I guess What I can tell you is this. On James' GT2 with the straight pipes he would boost 29-30PSI (too much I know) and with cats and a Fabspeed exhaust he he went to 24-25-26PSI.

On my car I had a similair situation, plus I lost weight and probably killed everybody's hearing.

My 1/4mile trap speeds would go up by 2-3mph also.

If you want the ultimate, lightweight, least back pressure then something like this is it. I'm ok since I can swap exhausts/straight pipes out pretty easily but it's not for everyone.

Last edited by sharkster; 05-11-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by DEETZ

so loud!! not good for your hearing!
Ehhhhhh... after all the Raves I went to I don't think my ears work anyways. Not much works nowadays...

Old 05-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
I too experienced a 2-3 PSI boost increase when I removed my cats.

Evan says the real benefit of straight pipes is not HP, but rather, reduced spooling. Do you agree? Did the straight pipes allow your turbos to spool quicker? If so, by how many RPMs?

Thanks again Alex,

Craig

Old 05-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I too experienced a 2-3 PSI boost increase when I removed my cats.

Evan says the real benefit of straight pipes is not HP, but rather, reduced spooling. Do you agree? Did the straight pipes allow your turbos to spool quicker? If so, by how many RPMs?

Thanks again Alex,

Craig
I figured it'd be the same for you Craig. The more power you make, more air etc... well the more those cats become a plug. Removing cats from BIG HP Turbo cars like Supras yields really good results. Heck from my daily D EVO VIII, I picked up 24WHP by removing the cat! And on that car I really did notice a couple of hundred rpms worth of reduced lag.

On the 996TT, James and I both thought that to be the case. I couldn't confirm that for you but my butt says "yes"....

Old 05-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Which brings up the question: Is the real gain from removing the cats, or the muffler, or both. I am already catless, and my setup is not excessively loud. I would only consider straight pipes if, by removing the muffler as well, I would experience a meaningful gain over my current catless setup -- gains in either HP or spooling. What do you think?

Additionally, is there any potential down side to straight pipes (e.g., loss of torque)?

Thanks my Tip brotha,

Craig

Old 05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Which brings up the question: Is the real gain from removing the cats, or the muffler, or both. I am already catless, and my setup is not excessively loud. I would only consider straight pipes if, by removing the muffler as well, I would experience a meaningful gain over my current catless setup -- gains in either HP or spooling. What do you think?

Additionally, is there any potential down side to straight pipes (e.g., loss of torque)?

Thanks my Tip brotha,

Craig
Having seen the RuF open/closed etc.. I'd say you would certainly gain by having less back pressure. Mufflers. You'd also save about 30 pounds from the *** end which is a good thing too

Loss of TQ is certainly possible down low (not on my EVO tho) and I do think on the high HP cars getting tuning done/checked out is important as the margin of error can actually be a good deal of plus/minus HP/TQ.

The funny thing is though my 60 foot's went from 1.8 down to 1.6 with those pipes so I don't think I lost any down low. Again without back-to-back dynos it's hard to be absolutely sure. Of course the only thing about our cars that I wish was like 6speed is the ability to dyno easily...

PS I can't wait to see yours back in action pal. Tiptronics are so slow eh? Guess what... wouldn't it be cool for the first two 996TT's to officially hit 10s were Tips?

Old 05-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Alex,

Car sounds good. It appears that your training has been paying off. In case you missed the video I took of you the first time:

Alex Training

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VIDEOS: Akkurat Track Pipes on 996TT