996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ecu-tuning of an european 996TT by an US-Tuner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Holger1968 is infamous around these parts
ecu-tuning of an european 996TT by an US-Tuner

Hello,

I own a 996TT, live in Switzerland and I am considering buying an ECU-Flash in the USA as it is much cheaper there.

Of course US-tuners like softronic, epl, 911tuning and so on are experienced with the US-version of the 996TT.
But are there big differences (other emission-laws etc.) between an US-modell and an european one?
I have seen that the US-modell has 415HP while the european has 420HP, but have been told that in the USA HP is calculated slightly differently than here and thus the difference.

Another possible problem is that you have to tell what octane you use. We have 95ROZ and 98ROZ. In the USA you use AON to calculate the octance, if I am not mistaken.
Can anybody tell me what AON-octane number equates to 98ROZ?

And is epl still in business? Their website is down/in maintenance for a while.

And one last question... I only consider buying one of that flash-your-own products where you can flash your ECU with your laptop (and flash the old image back should you want to).
Can a stock durametric cable be used like this one
http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...or_3_cars.html
I dont want to avoid paying that US$ 100 that the cable costs... just donīt want to pay nearly US$ 300 for its shipment to Europe...

Kind regards,
Holger

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Colt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really nice
Hi Holger-

98 ROZ is roughly 93 RON, and 95 ROZ is roughy 90.5 RON. My stock & 911tuning.com / Protomotive tune works fine on 95ROZ that I buy here in the UK. I was able to download the software to my car using the durametric cable & I now have the diagnostic software that was included in the cable price- so $300 is steep, but you get the software too!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
We have Euro version tunes as well. we have Ron 98 tunes.
you cannot just buy a cable and make it work.... you need to get one from the tuner as they are not all uniform.
Shipping to Europe is no more then $30.. I have done it many times.
We use the durametric cable to upload the tunes which also is a full diagnostic tool and data logging software so you get 2 for 1. Other cables are just to upload and cost considerably less.
Markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 01-03-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Holger I have done ECU upgrades with my Porsche & Ferraris (although in the Ferrari cases I physically shipped my ECU's) EPL worked fine for me on my TT but you need to be able to hook up a laptop with internet connection in your car

Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
911tuning works great for me, you can specify what octane tuning you want but using just flash I think you might have option for 95 and 98, any other higher octane will be better for you.

To get it simple just substract 5 from european octane and you get american octane, not very precise but works, I would say

95 E = 91 USA
98 E = 93 USA
100 E = 95 USA

above that we are talking about race fuels here in Europe.

I used my durametric to upload the flash, can revert any time, but use durametric also for logs a very very useful tool.

good luck

Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Markski, what exactly are you offering as "remote flash cable along with the Durametric datalogging software"? Does that correlate to any product that datametric offers at their webpage?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Holger1968
Markski, what exactly are you offering as "remote flash cable along with the Durametric datalogging software"? Does that correlate to any product that datametric offers at their webpage?

Our cable is using the full version Durametric software. It is the Durametric cable but we use Softronic for remote flashing. It's all in the same cable. One cable does both.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Markski,
you are suggesting "diverter valves" and "direct replacementBMC filter" as an addition to the ecu-tuning. Does this make sense when staying with the factory exhaust system?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Holger1968
Markski,
you are suggesting "diverter valves" and "direct replacementBMC filter" as an addition to the ecu-tuning. Does this make sense when staying with the factory exhaust system?

I would collect money for an exhaust instead...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 PM
I know that an sport exhaust gives a better sound and 10-20HP more power.
However, here in Switzerland we have restrictive laws regarding noise and exhaust emission. And the manufacturer has to order an expensive certificate/test (called DTC) for any exhaust he wants to sell (legally).
In short, either you pay about $6000 for an exhaust or you make something illegal.
And even if you pay that much, you will get an exhaust just a bit louder (laws...) than the stock one and with few HP more.
That doesnt pay off.

I would not expect more power from the bmc filter. But maybe a better sound ?!
And I am completely unsure why one should buy other diverter valves. Whats the problem with the oem ones?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:37 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
oem DVs leak and dont hold boost after a few k miles. its a well known problem.

also the BMC makes power.