996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stock body versus aftermarket mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 07:38 PM
JakeMate is infamous around these parts
I borrowed a buddy's book about the history of the Porsche Turbo and there was a section that talked about the 996 Turbo aerodynamics. I was amazed to see how much time Porsche spent on the aero design. It talked about the design of the front lip quite a bit. I think the aero design is supposed to induce a bit of understeer at high speed for safety if I remember the chapter correctly.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:48 PM
alamein is infamous around these parts
stock porsche turbo looks awesome.

however, put a stock turbo next to one with a TechArt kit and I would guess most all would think the TA kit looks significantly better (at least for now ... maybe in future it will look tacky like most body kits)

as for why doing a TA instead of just getting a GT2 ... many other reasons for choosing a Turbo instead which aren't looks. Anyway I think a TA Turbo looks better than a GT2 too.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:00 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
We all forget Porsche didn't design the turbo for us. They designed it to attract more MB and BMW drivers. Their suspension is soft. There is a reason for that. Porsche isn't really after the mod group. Just not enough numbers. The turbo's aero was designed for exactly what it is stock. To think otherwise is only kidding yourself.

As for Techart, one of the two founders is a very highly regarded aerodynamics car engineer.

Last edited by cjv; 05-13-2005 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:25 AM
Exotic Performance
xico is infamous around these parts
i had both the stock and the tech art kit in my car , i can tell you i could not agree more with Chad , when it was stock with stock suspension at 135mph the car felt like it was going to flip backwards. With the tech art kit and the moton suspension at 180mph it feels more secure than sotck at 135mph. Tech art wind tunnel tested their race car for higher speeds and the only thing they changed where the rear wing extentions to raise it up as in their GT street type S car. They are making me a set of these and i will post pictures soon. these extentions will give the car more down force at higher speeds.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:08 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Xico and Chad: I agree. The techart does generate significant downforce, and I do have strongly related data, though not the definative 4 corner displacement data I would like. When you drive the car at speeds, it is a big difference from stock. At 140 mph at Putnam, I looked at the data and saw I could jam on the brakes and not lock up. That's directly from downforce. The TA GT-S is much more than pretty.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:19 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Tim,

Can you post a picture of your car showing the Techart GTS kit.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Buddy:

These aren't very current but will give you an idea.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:58 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Looks good Tim, just need to welk the stock tips back on or something. Maybe that has been done since this is an old pic.

Anyhow looks great!

Old 05-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Buddy. Those are straight pipes!

Old 05-13-2005, 09:34 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
That rear bumper is slick! I need to add one of those, with that Carbon Fiber bottom.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ColorChange
Buddy. Those are straight pipes!
I know but I just think they would look better if they filled the exhaust cut outs. Can you weld the stock tips onto the straight pipes?

Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 PM
B7R
B7R has a spectacular aura aboutB7R has a spectacular aura aboutB7R has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by buddyg
I know but I just think they would look better if they filled the exhaust cut outs. Can you weld the stock tips onto the straight pipes?
I Agree with "buddyg" I think you should do some-thing with your cut outs.

Your exhaust tips looks very small with that "wide" rear ....!

Old 05-13-2005, 06:21 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MANA
That rear bumper is slick! I need to add one of those, with that Carbon Fiber bottom.
i've always wondered why more didn't do the rear bumper, it's hot

How much testing does RUF do on their aero kits?

Old 05-13-2005, 06:44 PM
The problem is the standard striaght pipes aren't long enough so I need to have some custom pipes welded. Maybe sharky's new ones.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:40 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
i've always wondered why more didn't do the rear bumper, it's hot

I believe it runs close to 5k. It looks better than stock but 5k better?? I did not think so before but the more I see it ....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock body versus aftermarket mods