996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Got my new Clutch and LWFW Installed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Got my new Clutch and LWFW Installed...

...and a gbox 2nd gear detent mod

And wow what a WIN it is.

A little background. My clutch started slipping after I got a boost leak and fuel filter leak repeaired. It probably explained why I thought my car was a bit slower, but simply attributed this to the fact its been 608HP for over 4 years.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Clutchmaster stg 3 setup, but was leery re: having to replace my flywheel. I've been through all the pro/con LWFW threads and was really on the fence - until i talked with Kevin.

Its been installed for over a week and I'm shocked at how super light and stock feeling it is, despite being able to handle my HP and then some. I'm breaking it in and babying the clutch/car - but i can already tell how supersmooth the clutch takeup is and the gbox mod removes any slow left over in the gearbox action. (i have both types of SSK installed)

But the REAL surprise here is the Noise...or LACK of it. With the AC on and clutch out there is a faint, grainy mechanical noise which emanates from the rear. It does not sound malignant, or like the car is broken. You REALLY have to listen close to hear it. BUt what IS there, sounds pretty damn cool actually. With the AC off, its gone.

You hear some rattles at high load, low rpms - but most manual cars I've driven have had some quality of this - so maybe I'm lucky, or I got a great kit.

Just wanted to pass on the great experience and emphatically suggest this option for anyone looking to replace/upgrade their clutch in a <700HP setup.

Oh - and the price could not be beat!

$2k and change. - $1k for the install.

Happy New YEAR!!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Videos please
I'd like to hear the sound

Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
haha - what you really need to find out are how much the kit is shipped to the UK.

Hang on I have something on my phone for you...

will compress and upload.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
My experience says if you give it a month or two, it will become louder - like what others talk about. Mine was quieter at first, then became annoyingly loud (to me) after a few weeks. So much so, I removed it and went back to the DMF. It does rev and drive very nicely, though. I would love to have the throttle response of the LWF without the noise...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-05-2012, 06:26 PM
lols...

I forgot to mention my favorite thing about this mod...that I was highly skeptical about. The performance boost. It's VERY perceptible even now, and I haven't started pushing the car at all.

Simply rolling into the gas in 4,5,6 gear puts me at .5-.7 bar depending on gear right away.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Damn you just when I was sure I needed to go with a dmfw!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Is this the kit Kevin of UMW sells? It comes with everything you need for $2K?

Originally Posted by ttpopo
...and a gbox 2nd gear detent mod

And wow what a WIN it is.

A little background. My clutch started slipping after I got a boost leak and fuel filter leak repeaired. It probably explained why I thought my car was a bit slower, but simply attributed this to the fact its been 608HP for over 4 years.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Clutchmaster stg 3 setup, but was leery re: having to replace my flywheel. I've been through all the pro/con LWFW threads and was really on the fence - until i talked with Kevin.

Its been installed for over a week and I'm shocked at how super light and stock feeling it is, despite being able to handle my HP and then some. I'm breaking it in and babying the clutch/car - but i can already tell how supersmooth the clutch takeup is and the gbox mod removes any slow left over in the gearbox action. (i have both types of SSK installed)

But the REAL surprise here is the Noise...or LACK of it. With the AC on and clutch out there is a faint, grainy mechanical noise which emanates from the rear. It does not sound malignant, or like the car is broken. You REALLY have to listen close to hear it. BUt what IS there, sounds pretty damn cool actually. With the AC off, its gone.

You hear some rattles at high load, low rpms - but most manual cars I've driven have had some quality of this - so maybe I'm lucky, or I got a great kit.

Just wanted to pass on the great experience and emphatically suggest this option for anyone looking to replace/upgrade their clutch in a <700HP setup.

Oh - and the price could not be beat!

$2k and change. - $1k for the install.

Happy New YEAR!!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by powderjay
Damn you just when I was sure I needed to go with a dmfw!
i doubt you'll hear anything over your europipe

the performance boost is awesome.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
What about the claims of a high biting point. See thread right below this one??

What exact fw did you go with?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 PM
K here's the vid

(I gave up trying to embed it)

not sure re: part number but the the disk is a Sachs GT2RS OEM unit. That's why I went with this kit - Kevin's assembled all the correct parts, nothing for me to worry about. My installers (All German Auto - Escondido, CA) said that they were really impressed re: the detailed parts list and instructions to put it all together correctly.

Last edited by ttpopo; 01-05-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by powderjay
What about the claims of a high biting point. See thread right below this one??

What exact fw did you go with?

Yeah, I read that thread. The clutch feels exactly like OEM, maybe a touch lighter. biting point is abot 1 inch of the floor. My car is pretty low, so its important for metogo through dips, and some inclines slowly. Its still totally easy to do this, even while avoiding slipping the clutch. I'm really impressed how buttery smooth and easy it is to drive.

im not sure which flywheel, I *think* its a 964RS wheel. weighs about 12 pounds. Kevin made it clear its not the lightest lwfw, but rather the most streetable yet a must for the track.

the fact that its cheaper than the oem dmfw is just a bonus.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM
porschetec is infamous around these parts
which clutch disk do you use?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by porschetec
which clutch disk do you use?
pretty sure its the Sachs GT2RS OEM disk

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
What is it that makes the flywheel 'rattle'?

And why does it become louder with the AC on?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Rattle will usually occur with a LWFW under two conditions - at idle and under full load in a higher gear (i.e. WOT in 6th gear at 3000 RPM.)

A LWFW will allow transmission of engine pulses into the transmission where rattle will occur due to the some "laxity" in the transmission. The engine has power pules which create mechanical noises, which is transmitted through to the the transmission. Gearing in the transmission will allow the the gears vibrate due to looseness or slack.

The noise always there, but amplified when you install a lightweight flywheel. A standard dual mass flywheel is so heavy that it will dampen the effect, and limit the transmission of vibrations into the gearbox. When a lightweight flywheel is used, the vibrations you hear (rattle) occur when the gears in the transmissions vibrate. A spring hub clutch will help with some absorption of vibration, but the noise will still be there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got my new Clutch and LWFW Installed...