996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Questions About Bleeding Brakes on a 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:32 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Questions About Bleeding Brakes on a 996TT

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for the help on this...

I've done my share of brake-bleeding in the past, but never on a Porsche. I've also tried my best to search the forums for answers to my questions, but I still need clarification on a few things. I've downloaded the service manual and it states the following:

===============================

Changing the brake fluid
Note
· Observe brake fluid quality. Use only new DOT 4 brake fluid.
· The brake−fluid change interval using Super DOT4 brake fluid is two years.
This brake fluid is available under the following part numbers: quantity supplied 1 litres =
000.043.203.66 container volume. 30 litres = 000.043.203.67.
·
1. Fill reservoir to its top edge with new brake fluid.
2. Connect a bleeding device to the brake fluid reservoir.
3. Switch on the bleeding device. Bleeding pressure is approximately 2.0 bar.
Note
· Drain brake fluid on every brake caliper on both bleeder valves.
Use a transparent hose and a collecting bottle to check the escaping brake fluid accurately for
cleanliness, lack of air bubbles and to determine the brake fluid used.
4. Continue brake fluid change at the brake calipers (no special
sequence).
5. Open every bleeder valve until clear, bubble−free brake fluid emerges and until the corresponding change
quantity per brake calliper is reached (approx. 250 cm3 ).
6. Switch off and disconnect the bleeding device. Correct the brake fluid level if
necessary.

===============================

The part I'm wondering about is the "Note" after step 3. It says to drain the brake fluid on every caliper on "both bleeder valves." I haven't thoroughly inspected a caliper, yet, but it seems as if the service manual is saying that the each caliper has two bleeder valves. Is this really the case, or am I just misunderstanding things?

Second question: I have read so much about the "proportioning valve" in other brake bleed DIYs, but I see no mention of it in the service manual for my 2003 Turbo. Am I not looking in the correct section, or does my car not require any special bleeding procedure for the proportioning valve?

Thanks!

Last edited by NineElevenLover; 01-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Yep calipers have an inner and outer bleed valves. You will get very little dirty fluid out of the inner if you do the outer first, I believe.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
yep, what he said

Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Alright, thanks for the info. Anything regarding the proportioning valve, or should I not worry about that? Thanks.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 AM
sweeney186 is infamous around these parts
Depends on how **** you want to be.You can crack all the lines one at a time to remove any poss. air,but usually you are just making a mess as the air usually ends up at the closest exit point (bleeder).If you are just doing a maint. fluid flush,bleeding at the calipers will suffice