996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My Sportec Rebuilt Engine Going in Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Richard, have you considered doing all the "Safe" mods while this engine is sitting on the floor? A couple examples I can think of right now is the coolant pipe that getsa loose or falls out on everyone an the GT2 slave mod?

Oh an Speedtech exhausts rule...

It sure looks like a tip in the pic's. Plus 2 on the coolant pipe welding. Also zip tie all rubber vacuum tubes.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Yep its a Tip

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
Question for the experts, what other parts are you going to need when you do the coolant pipe mod, i mean you will certainly need some new coolant and the fittings but other than that, are there gaskets or other things you need to change because you have to remove stuff to get access to it? I would change the hoses that are prone to failure too at the same time but what else?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pumalex
Question for the experts, what other parts are you going to need when you do the coolant pipe mod, i mean you will certainly need some new coolant and the fittings but other than that, are there gaskets or other things you need to change because you have to remove stuff to get access to it? I would change the hoses that are prone to failure too at the same time but what else?
If my memory serves me right its all O-rings.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Hi Richard,

It's all by design - let me explain how our system works...The muffler internals are 2.5" on the 2.5 quiet. The muffler inlet/outlet connectors are 3" on all versions. The 2.5 tip has a 3" end to fit into the muffler, then quickly goes to 2.5" for the 90 degree bend and to the finished tip. This is by design, as it allows you to optionally use full 3" tips on a 2.5 muffler, which results in a one step louder exhaust system. We call it the 2.5 "sport" sound option. If the 2.5 is too quiet, you can liven it up with just a tip swap. Likewise on the full 3.0 system, if it's too loud, you can quiet it down with just a tip swap to the 2.5 tips on a 3.0 muffler. We call this the 3.0 "moderate" sound level. What we achieve with this design is 4 sound levels by swapping standard modular components and the customer has the option to vary their sound for special events, if they choose - for instance, if you like it loud and your wife doesn't, you can run the "sport" tip option all week, then put on the "quiet" tips when you are going for a drive with the wife. It's very quick and easy to do. Swapping mufflers is a little more involved, but still relatively easy and the same principal applies. The sound can be tailored to suit the situation. You shuld explain this to your mechanic - I think he will understand why after hearing this...
So John you go from 3 inch inlet and outlet on the muffler in 2.5 inch immediately inside the muffler ? Is the muffler just a 2.5 inch straight through X Pipe with some sound proofing ? Any pics of whats inside the Muffler please

Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
RCH
Banned
John you are 110% certain its fully 2.5" piping inside the muffler exclusively from the 3" inlet and 3" outlet?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Hi Richard,

Yes, I am 100% certain that yours is a 2.5 "quiet" version. I boxed your system myself and verified this aspect prior to packaging.

And yes, it does immediately go to 2.5" once past the outside skin of the sides of the muffler. It is straight thru perforated pipe with an "X" at the middle and stainless steel wool packing in the can to absorb the sound. You can see right through the muffler, if you hold it up to light before it's installed - it's wide open with no baffles or restrictions...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Richard,

Below is a picture of the internal design - the picture demostates the design using a 3.0 model. The 2.5 is made the exact same way, except the pipe size is 2.5 throughout the internal portion of the muffler. The section after the "X" is perforated and the entire can is packed with stainless steel wool before being sealed. As you can see, it's straight thru - when looking through the muffler from the ends, you can clearly see a lot of light at the other end.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Nice! You don't see too many sportec cars running around. What are your modification plans?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
RCH
Banned
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Sportec upgraded internals, rods, valves etc
WITHIN the engine itself simply the above, Sportec upgraded internals, rods, valves etc, otherwise AMS Billet Turbos, AWE Intercoolers, Speedtech Exhaust, 3 Inch Y pipe etc, not much missing

Old 01-11-2012, 02:13 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Richard I have the same exhaust as you. If uncertain just remove the tips and look down the muffler, you will see the pipe steps down right away making the muffler internals 2.5 inches.
I had this exhaust sitting in my living room for about a week and I really studied and stared at it. Plus asked John a million questions.
It's alot of fun, you'll enjoy it.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:53 AM
gbred is infamous around these parts
It depends on how much air the car is actually moving and the power level it is at & it is true that pipes must be coolant & engine must be kept clean so get it serviced soon in a few days.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 AM
edelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond reputeedelectra has a reputation beyond repute
john nice product .

Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 PM
RCH
Banned
I'll let you know my impressions shortly

Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by edelectra
john nice product.
Thanks, Ed.

2022 Cayenne White

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Sportec Rebuilt Engine Going in Car