996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:44 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Oem ... Oem....

Old 01-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by powderjay
Some say they have had chatter with the dual mass.. Head spins some more...
It should not chatter with a new flywheel and new disc - it should be smooth as a new car. A new disc with a used flywheel can chatter, though. I always replace the flywheel with the disc for a "like new" feel.

You know how I feel about the DMF vs. LWF, so I won't reiterate :-)

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by powderjay
Thanks for the replies, who has the best deal on a dual mass flywheel
This link was posted on another members post on his build. This is the cheapest I have seen.
http://www.europortparts.com/item.ww...&weight=31.010

Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
LWFW hans down! a part from a little noise,the other negative posts are pure bull.,once you get the hang of it you never ever will go back.,cheers.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
have a lwf and love it sure it rattles a bit , but this is not a cad, it's a race care thats streetable when i wanna drive like an ol lady i use my wifes cayenne, have some fun enjoy the mod

Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
lwfw ftw.

granted I have no experience with the CM 3 (almost got one, but wnt UMW) but my setup is all win and the "noise" sounds no louder than loud timing chains or gear drive in the engine.

Not sure where the "broken" comments come from. Obviously there are different setups out there.

For me its a no brainer. I put 1000 on my Sachs Race Clutch (GT2RS) and the noise did get a bit louder, but still nothing that sounds broken, just mechanical.

I have a new video after 1k miles to compare with brand new.I have to compress and edit it if you want to get a listen.

The performance advantage is tangible and immediate! While a bunch of us have tons of power, its still nice getting it sooner.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
One last time I have the gt2 slave mod, cm3 and 964 rs lwfw and its pure sex driving. there is NO CHATTER, the flywheel spins so quick that rev . matching, blipping is pure joy. When I am in traffic I have ZERO issues creeping at very low speeds or in slow mph in high gears. Bottom line is I love it

Old 01-14-2012, 09:33 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Knew I should have closed this thread a few posts ago!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Take my experience for what it's worth since it doesn't relate to a 996TT. However, I had several clutch setups over the years on another turbocharged car (1993-1995 Supra Turbos) and the one mod I regret above all others was going to a multi-plate clutch with a lightweight flywheel. Day to day driveability went into the toilet and, as someone else mentioned on this thread, driving casually became very difficult because you literally had to shift fast all the time since the revs fell so fast between shifts.

I'll admit it was cool when you blipped the throttle on downshifts, but that was pretty much the only good thing about it. Everything else was a true negative, and I jumped at the chance to sell it to someone else and went back to a stock dual mass flywheel on that car too. It's a mod that is a lot better on paper than the reality of it suggests, at least from my experience for a street driven car. Best wishes!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I was using the 964rs fw with no problems driving the car what so ever. I even was using a sintered iron disc!! The tranny will make some noise as stated.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I was using the 964rs fw with no problems driving the car what so ever. I even was using a sintered iron disc!!
:-) You're the first person I have heard of using sintered iron disc on a 996TT. From what I have been picking up, you have a hard core car! Have you lightened it as well?

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have had a UMW clutch and UMW supplied lwfw based on an OEM 964RS part. I love it.

No issues x 4 years. I don't remember the details, but the LWFW might actually stress the bearing out "less" in the motor...otoh, Porsche had some warranty issues with stock 997 gt3 getting owner installed at the dealer rs lwfw's. I think the turbo's lower redline may protect it from these gt3 issues.

I prefer my Porsche to be on the more driver side of things... More raw.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 01-15-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
This is obviously a highly divisive topic. The LWFW is the only mod I paid to have taken out. It takes a lot of concentration to start, tends to stall, is worse for fast starts and rattles to the point where it sounds like like something is broken at idle. It wasn't worth the faster revving out of gear IMO. The car still hauls *** with the dual mass because it's not lacking in torque.

Also consider that as far as I know the factory uses a LWFW on the GT3 RS but not the GT2RS (I have not confirmed this as fact).

You can still blip the throttle on downshifts with stock dual mass.

There are lots of stockish clutch options like the sachs HD pressure plate and GT2 non sprung disc (which has no downside IMO), but IMO LWFW was too much of a compromise for a mostly weekend street car that isn't even driven daily. Just my 2 cents... It may be worth some research to see what the factory uses on the GT2RS.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 01-15-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Take my experience for what it's worth since it doesn't relate to a 996TT. However, I had several clutch setups over the years on another turbocharged car (1993-1995 Supra Turbos) and the one mod I regret above all others was going to a multi-plate clutch with a lightweight flywheel. Day to day driveability went into the toilet and, as someone else mentioned on this thread, driving casually became very difficult because you literally had to shift fast all the time since the revs fell so fast between shifts.

I'll admit it was cool when you blipped the throttle on downshifts, but that was pretty much the only good thing about it. Everything else was a true negative, and I jumped at the chance to sell it to someone else and went back to a stock dual mass flywheel on that car too. It's a mod that is a lot better on paper than the reality of it suggests, at least from my experience for a street driven car. Best wishes!
this really doesnt help the OP. I was on the fence as well for a long while. One thing I learned is that there seemed to be a right way and a wrong way to go single mass.

Your Supra experience sounds awful, but I certainly wouldnt call it representative of the optimal way to go single mass on the 996tt platform.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by ari
This is obviously a highly divisive topic. The LWFW is the only mod I paid to have taken out. It takes a lot of concentration to start, tends to stall, is worse for fast starts and rattles to the point where it sounds like like something is broken at idle. It wasn't worth the faster revving out of gear IMO. The car still hauls *** with the dual mass because it's not lacking in torque.

Also consider that as far as I know the factory uses a LWFW on the GT3 RS but not the GT2RS (I have not confirmed this as fact).

You can still blip the throttle on downshifts with stock dual mass.

There are lots of stockish clutch options like the sachs HD pressure plate and GT2 non sprung disc (which has no downside IMO), but IMO LWFW was too much of a compromise for a mostly weekend street car that isn't even driven daily. Just my 2 cents... It may be worth some research to see what the factory uses on the GT2RS.
just curios what type of single mass/clutch seup you were running?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??