996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
by the wy, the noise beinga non issue may be up for debate, but the drivability should not. My setup drives better than stock. i dont have to blip the throttle at all. I put it in first, then let the clutch out, car rolls forwad. Same in reverse gear.

easy. no riced out blip, blip, blip. just engage n go.

if this isnt your experience, you got the wong setup.

my advice, leave the clutch masters stuff alone and go sachs/porsche oem.

Just call kevin and buy his kit. Get it installed, then come back here share your tales of win. Rinse and repeat.

imo, lwf is the best "free" mod evarrr, you'll agree too if you go UMW.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:19 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Ttpopo, is your car modded or stock?

Stock clutch can't handle a flash and mods IMO. I'm wondering if the problems with drivability with the lwfw are related to a beefed up clutch?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttpopo
this really doesnt help the OP. I was on the fence as well for a long while. One thing I learned is that there seemed to be a right way and a wrong way to go single mass.

Your Supra experience sounds awful, but I certainly wouldnt call it representative of the optimal way to go single mass on the 996tt platform.
I actually have the same experience on my 996tt, so it is valid, IMO

Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
my advice, leave the clutch masters stuff alone and go sachs/porsche oem.
CM uses Sachs equipment, but mods the PP a little for extra pressure, BTW.

I say OP needs to drive a few different setups to decide. It is a fine line, IMO. My clutch is really the only thing I hate about my car right now... I have gotten used to it, but nobody else can drive my car without stalling it a million times!

So if you go LWFW, setup/parts are very very important it appears.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:18 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
The other option is to get a stock clutch and send your pressure plate to Clutch master for modding. Most people don't look into this, but much of the time clutch masters is just either modding a stock pressure plate and the disk material or modding just the disk material.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I say OP needs to drive a few different setups to decide. It is a fine line, IMO. My clutch is really the only thing I hate about my car right now... I have gotten used to it, but nobody else can drive my car without stalling it a million times!

Chad now I wish I would have gone for that ride down in Oxford. Oh well, hopefully I'll have something in place by this summer.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by powderjay
Ttpopo, is your car modded or stock?

Stock clutch can't handle a flash and mods IMO. I'm wondering if the problems with drivability with the lwfw are related to a beefed up clutch?
You're absolutely right.

When I got a flash and exhaust years ago, my stock clutch started slipping.

Then i went 608HP with K24/26 and all the air flow bits and had a (9ff) sachs race setup (with dmfw) - (no idea what the actual parts were but, in line with most euro tuners, it was as OEM as possible). That was great for about 30k miles, but then i got some more go fast bits and the clutch started slipping again.

So this was my third clutch. I really don't know how to explain the different experience we're all having.

is it all in our varying detection of noise?

the perception of what constitutes a "pleasing" sound?

or a mechanical variable?

Are there different clutch plate springs that are louder/softer than others? I can definitely hear the noise on my car. However, does it sound broken to me? certainly not.

Does it sound broken to the casual listener? I dont think so, of the 3 non-car people that I had listen, 2 stated that they just heard an "engine", my wife correctly identified it as a "mechanical clicking or ratcheting" (go girl!) - but certainly nothing that sounds broken.

So there must be something going on here. I know that there are a BUNCH of pieces to the kit I purchased. I didn't see it, but my mechanic mentioned this and also commended the great instructions and parts list that made it really easy.

I also know that sachs products are used in different branded clutch kits (OEM, 9ff, FVD, CM, UMW). Additionally, we know that there are different LWFWs out there.

I propose that while many LWFW set-ups can be typified by the addition of an unpleasant amount of noise, there does seem to be a certain combination of components that when used together, maximally mitigate the perception of unpleasant noise from the engine/transmission.

I went through all the threads and wanted to avoid the "noise" as well. I think it was Mikekelly that sealed it for me. He mentioned in one of his very informative posts, how he changed his clutch 3 times for different reasons, trying to get the perfect combo of characteristics and durability, before getting the umw kit and wishing he had done that the 1st time.

props to you sir!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Not so much worried about noise as I am about drivability. Don't want a hyper sensitive on off feeling as the car sees a lot of around town cruising. I think I'd be sold on the dual mass if isn't wasn't for you guys who say the lwfw is buttery.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
This is obviously a highly divisive topic. The LWFW is the only mod I paid to have taken out.
Ari, and I thought I was the only one to pay to remove and replace a LWFW after a month or so of use...the noise was the only issue for me - I just hated it.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
oh thats an easy one then

I would also rec the 2nd gear detent kit.

My trans has

SSK gearshift
SSK at trans
detent kit

feels worlds different from the sloppy, indistinct, long throw OEM shifter - porsche what were you thinking on that one btw?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Not so much worried about noise as I am about drivability. Don't want a hyper sensitive on off feeling as the car sees a lot of around town cruising. I think I'd be sold on the dual mass if isn't wasn't for you guys who say the lwfw is buttery.
IMO, the LWFW with the OEM power assisted clutch system is pretty "on-off". You can get used to it, but stopped on steep hills at a light, etc. you really need to concentrate.

I think with the GT2 conversion, which would provide total feel for the clutch, a lot of the "trickiness" of the more abrupt engagement would become manageable and the car would be faily easy to drive, as you would become used to the clutch action very quickly and it would be repeatable (predictable). IMO, the noise is the biggger issue. You will not notice it much at first, but after a little use it will become louder, you will begin to notice it more and it will grow on you. In the end, you will either be OK with it or dislike it.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
Also consider that as far as I know the factory uses a LWFW on the GT3 RS but not the GT2RS (I have not confirmed this as fact).
Definitely LWFW in the 997 GT2RS

I have a new video after 1k miles to compare with brand new.I have to compress and edit it if you want to get a listen.
There is a possibility that over time, you may find the rattle to be more noticeable. I have had 3 different LWFW setups in my previous cars...each one got louder over time.

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
...otoh, Porsche had some warranty issues with stock 997 gt3 getting owner installed at the dealer rs lwfw's. I think the turbo's lower redline may protect it from these gt3 issues.
I found this from PCNA,

Technical Information
Service
36/08 ENU 1360 1
GT3 Engine: Flywheel and Pulley
Vehicle Type: 911 GT3 (997)
Model Year: As of 2007
Concerns: Flywheel and pulley
Information: Replacing dual-mass flywheel with single-mass flywheel.
We have discovered that the dual-mass flywheel, which is installed as standard in the GT3 engine (vehicle type 997810/-811), is being replaced in the dealer organization with the single-mass flywheel from the GT3 RS engine (vehicle type 997850/-851).

Information

Due to an increasing number of reported faults, we expressly wish to point out that the installation of the single-mass flywheel (from the GT3 RS) in the GT3 engine is not approved by Porsche.

Since the 911 GT3 (997) engine application is designed for the dual-mass flywheel, conversion to the single-mass flywheel results in the following problems and consequences:

• The single-mass flywheel causes fluctuations and vibration in the lower rpm range, thereby reducing the smooth-running performance of the engine.

• The crankshaft is subjected to one-sided loading, causing stress peaks that can result in damage to the crankshaft.

• The one-sided loading of the crankshaft can cause the pulley to come loose, resulting in damage to the belt drive and engine.

• Any damage relating to conversion or damage that can be attributed to conversion is not covered under warranty.

Please advise your customers of this information accordingly.

©Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

October 15, 2008

Last edited by bbywu; 01-15-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
My lwf has21k miles on it, it didn't get louder.pjay if your in nj call me and drive my car. Everyone can drive my car, my wife, my 55 year old mom. Im starting to think that most.of you are silly. Maybe my car is special or maybe you guys are pu**ies.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Blockhed
My lwf has21k miles on it, it didn't get louder.pjay if your in nj call me and drive my car. Everyone can drive my car, my wife, my 55 year old mom. Im starting to think that most.of you are silly. Maybe my car is special or maybe you guys are pu**ies.
Some people can drive around any problem. I am one of those people too. There is noise and it is night and day. When some one drops the car off and get a LWFW they think the trans was damaged or left without oil upon the reinstall. Just saying.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Blockhed
What setup do you have?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??