996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by powderjay
Not so much worried about noise as I am about drivability. Don't want a hyper sensitive on off feeling as the car sees a lot of around town cruising. I think I'd be sold on the dual mass if isn't wasn't for you guys who say the lwfw is buttery.
Why are you so dead set on the LWFW? Do you track the car on a regular basis? If so, than the noise or drivability should not be much of an issue. If you just drive the car on the street than why do you want the LWFW? Is it just to have a more rev happy engine when you blip the throttle? If so than you might try the Spring Booster throttle amplifier which is a bit of a poor man's LWFW in that it makes the throttle a bit more sensitive and makes the engine rev quicker by amplifying the throttle signal. In other words, if you blip the throttle 1/2", the ECU sees a signal as if you pressed the throttle 3/4", for example. This is very similar in how the sport button works on the M3. It is a poor man's LWFW in that it makes the throttle more lively or sensitive giving the sense that the engine revs quicker while not giving you any of the negative effects of a LWFW like the noise, RPM drop between shifts, etc. I know on the M3 is made a huge difference and make the car feel like it had a LWFW. The M3 really felt liker a dog with the sport mode OFF even though I know it did not add any power and the result would be the same if I pressed the throttle more. Really was an amazing difference. The Sprint Booster gizmo comes with a 30 day free trial period so it may be worth a shot as it takes only a minute or two to plug in. It may just give you the "feel" that you are looking for and the only thing you would be on the hook for is a few bucks for return shipping if you don't like it I guess.....BTW, I have absolutely ZERO affiliation with Sprint Booster Amplifier....

Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Yazz911TT is infamous around these parts
Guys Just to add my experience to the thread, I too was very apprehensive about going LWFW, being in UK, most euro tuners suggested to stick with the stock Dmfw. I was settled with that after reading many threads on here, I got in contact with a buddy and told him i would be buying an oem dmfw, was waiting to get paid etc.. After more reading and speaking with various US tuners I settled with the 964RS LWFW. After driving the car I have to say, It was the best decision I made, the car revs up buttery smooth, no weird idling issues, no noise and no on/off feeling. I also hae the GT2 conversion and the Sachs stage 2 clutch with the unsprung friction disk. My only gripe with the set up is that it is a damn heavy clutch pedal, but as the clutch is brand new i suspect it will wear in, get softer, and in the mean time i will get used to it. My car is only a weekend driver so it doesn't matter to me too much. BUt i am worried that i've taken all dampening out of the system!! Hopefully I wont break my crank!!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Why are you so dead set on the LWFW?

Amplifier....
Not dead set, just trying to make the best decision, and make it on the first try. Thanks all for the input, you guys have been a tremendous help!

I guess I've been leaning towards the dmfw, but then you read a few post from guys who say it's the best thing they have done. I guess if the lwfw; saves weight, revs quicker, is buttery smooth, and cheaper to top it off, why wouldn't I second guess myself.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Not dead set, just trying to make the best decision, and make it on the first try. Thanks all for the input, you guys have been a tremendous help!

I guess I've been leaning towards the dmfw, but then you read a few post from guys who say it's the best thing they have done. I guess if the lwfw; saves weight, revs quicker, is buttery smooth, and cheaper to top it off, why wouldn't I second guess myself.
Go ahead and try to test drive a car with it,then you can decide for yourself.,cheers.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Chad I have cm3+964rs lwfw+gt2 slave conversion. I love it. M3ental(member here) just drove my car and even mentioned that there was no fly noise but that my set up was noticeably stiffer then his oem set up.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Blockhed
Chad I have cm3+964rs lwfw+gt2 slave conversion. I love it. M3ental(member here) just drove my car and even mentioned that there was no fly noise but that my set up was noticeably stiffer then his oem set up.
I think that is pretty similar to what Kevin uses in his kit. I know the 964rs is not as light as my aluminum AASCO and is about midway between. May be the sweet spot!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Chad the funny thing is the car came with 964rs clutch and this s lwfe and uit chattered like crazy, after I didcm it stopped

Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Chad the funny thing is the car came with 964rs clutch and this s lwfe and uit chattered like crazy, after I didcm it stopped
That's strange! Did you change fluid at the same time?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

Did you get a vivid CM3 or a regular one?

Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Anybody have the part number for the 964rs flywheel ??

Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Anybody have the part number for the 964rs flywheel ??
I posted a parts list for the whole conversion in the knowledge forum. It has the flywheel and all the required parts.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
So I think the issue are the springs on the clutch plate.

I suspect that stiffer springs and a 964rs (not superlight -12.8lbs) LWFW are what keeps the noise tolerable.

Looser springs allow for a more random (broken) noise, while the stiffer ones keep the extra motion under control.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
It threw me off at first but I loved how the pedal grabbed close to the floor. It was a tad stiff but I can imagine it takes very little time to get used to. I think there needs to be a little more predal pressure on a sports car so it doesn't feel like you're driving a honda civic.

As far as the flywheel rattle I did not notice anything on Adams car but maybe that's because he has straight pipes.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttpopo
So I think the issue are the springs on the clutch plate.

I suspect that stiffer springs and a 964rs (not superlight -12.8lbs) LWFW are what keeps the noise tolerable.

Looser springs allow for a more random (broken) noise, while964 the stiffer ones keep the extra motion under control.
If the 964rs flywheel is 12.8 lbs it weighs less than the CM aluminum flywheel

Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Mpsuk is infamous around these parts
My cars going in tomorrow for cm stage 3 plus lots more ive decided if they tell me i need a new fly im going lwfw, if my stock one is ok then it can stay. Some say you shouldnt put a new clutch on an old flywheel, is their any truth in that? If so, why?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??