996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
After spending a bunch of time with my newly LWFW car, I can finally understand the issue.

The noise is ALWAYS there. Whether or not a LWFW is for you likely depends on how loud it actually is, how rhythmic the sound is (relative to orher noises, di tou gave an exhaust?) and most importantly - whether you LIKE the resultant sound.

I find it easy to characterize mine as adding a diesel sound to my car - like a ups truck's, rhythmic chatter, but quieter. For me, the purely mechanical sound adds a cool character that I like, and that most people will assume is just part of the cars sounds.

Bottom line, I'd you're not into the tangible performance increases, you should simply NOT do it or at least, drive/ride/listen closely so a similarly equipped car.

Cheers!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Angry

Great, I just plunked 2k on kevins kit because I felt your excitement also have an offer on my clutch masters stage 3 already if this doesn't pan out, I'm coming for you ttpopo jk

Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttpopo
After spending a bunch of time with my newly LWFW car, I can finally understand the issue.

The noise is ALWAYS there. Whether or not a LWFW is for you likely depends on how loud it actually is, how rhythmic the sound is (relative to orher noises, di tou gave an exhaust?) and most importantly - whether you LIKE the resultant sound.

I find it easy to characterize mine as adding a diesel sound to my car - like a ups truck's, rhythmic chatter, but quieter. For me, the purely mechanical sound adds a cool character that I like, and that most people will assume is just part of the cars sounds.

Bottom line, I'd you're not into the tangible performance increases, you should simply NOT do it or at least, drive/ride/listen closely so a similarly equipped car.

Cheers!
I have a LOUD Fabspeed exhaust for sale... you won't hear the clatter shatter..

Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by powderjay
Great, I just plunked 2k on kevins kit because I felt your excitement also have an offer on my clutch masters stage 3 already if this doesn't pan out, I'm coming for you ttpopo jk
Haha! I better hide!

No worries, You'll love it. I love mine

Ps - how much hp you have?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
Haha! I better hide!

No worries, You'll love it. I love mine

Ps - how much hp you have?
However much an x50 plus flash and exhaust makes.
I did add some carbon fiber bits and pieces though.

Last edited by powderjay; 01-20-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by powderjay
However much an x50 plus flash and exhaust makes.
I did add some carbon fiber bits and pieces though.
Okay, have you done you LWFW yet??

what do you think?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Going in Monday. Wish me luck.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

Did you get a vivid CM3 or a regular one?
According to cm themselves all their Porsche clutches are fiber tough unless you request Kevlar. This is what they told me when I just purchased my stage3. Any of the part #'s that end in FF are fiber tough according to them.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Clutch and flywheel in! So far so good, pedal feel excellent, engagement point excellent, noise so far minimal. Hope she can handle the horse power for a LNG while and I'll be a happy camper.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Good Show Man! Can you hear the noise? Not a big deal eh? And the performance increase...how about that??

Go ahead and rep me now!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
JG GT500 is infamous around these parts
Debating this right now - probably go UMW either way.

I think I need a ride in Blockhead's car

Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Darth GF is infamous around these parts
No Porsche specific, but let me add a bit of my own experience...

I had a turbo'ed Miata and while doing the clutch I decided for a lwfw. I do blip my throttle (former F2000 racer and actual BMWCCA instructor) and I really liked how it helps heel n toe.

But the increase in power was minimal. In the Miata's case it shed some 10lbs iirc. But that's quite unsignificant. On the track where you're most everytime in the higher rpm range, it didn't really help boost at all. Just more fun to blip.

Fast forward to my 996tt, unless I unknowlingly already have a lwfw (I bought the car used), the flywheel is really not heavy at all. My 1.8L engined Lotus Elise had a much heavier fw (in feeling at least). I had to readjust my blipping at first cause I would always overshoot my heel n toe's in the 996tt... For the Porsche, no way I'd go lwfw.

So, for performance purpose only, that's a waste of money unless you are a hard core racer or regular track driver. But I suspect a hard core racer would just do it and not ask for opinions. For fun of blipping and easier HnT, ok I could see why. But the chatter/noise for me is not worth it for a street/track car. However, on a car like the WRX Sti I had, that had a very heavy flywheel, I think I'd really consider one. It really annoyed me. But not in the P.

my 0,02$

Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Darth GF
No Porsche specific, but let me add a bit of my own experience...

I had a turbo'ed Miata and while doing the clutch I decided for a lwfw. I do blip my throttle (former F2000 racer and actual BMWCCA instructor) and I really liked how it helps heel n toe.

But the increase in power was minimal. In the Miata's case it shed some 10lbs iirc. But that's quite unsignificant. On the track where you're most everytime in the higher rpm range, it didn't really help boost at all. Just more fun to blip.

Fast forward to my 996tt, unless I unknowlingly already have a lwfw (I bought the car used), the flywheel is really not heavy at all. My 1.8L engined Lotus Elise had a much heavier fw (in feeling at least). I had to readjust my blipping at first cause I would always overshoot my heel n toe's in the 996tt... For the Porsche, no way I'd go lwfw.

So, for performance purpose only, that's a waste of money unless you are a hard core racer or regular track driver. But I suspect a hard core racer would just do it and not ask for opinions. For fun of blipping and easier HnT, ok I could see why. But the chatter/noise for me is not worth it for a street/track car. However, on a car like the WRX Sti I had, that had a very heavy flywheel, I think I'd really consider one. It really annoyed me. But not in the P.

my 0,02$

the lwfw on the 996tt makes your boost come on faster. thats why i love it.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
I just reverted back to OEM from LWFW bc different strategy with the car, and driving home 2 night ago with the OEM flywheel it was smooth alright but it felt like I lost 30hp and boost really felt like it came on slower. I felt like I was back with K16 instead of K24. Oh well.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Love the clutch feel so far! Only about 300 miles though. Trying to track down a boost leak with all the new parts I added in the off season. So haven't fully enjoyed the beast. Will keep ya posted!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??