996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??

So many threads so many opinions. I guess it would be easy if there was some consistency. Some think it's radically different, (engagement point, noise, driveability). Others feel it's the best mod they have done! I need to make a decision soon, someone push me over the top!! Car is flashed, and I have a CM stage 3 ready to go, just need to decide on a FW.

Not anticipating any tack time but do enjoy the spirited drives. Some say they have had chatter with the dual mass.. Head spins some more...

Sorry for the rant!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
What are you doing with the car? If top end is your goal dual mass.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I think.. think mind you that turbos will be my final upgrade one day.

When the clutch goes in new intercoolers,y-pipe, throttle body, 5bar, plugs and coils will go on.

Did I mention I love the stock pedal feel??

Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by powderjay
Did I mention I love the stock pedal feel??

will be a little stiffer with the CM 3

Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Dual mass unless because racecar.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
I've been chiming in on all the threads to make sure people have the counterpoint for this LWFW.

I think you just have to decide how much day to day driveability you're willing to sacrafice. If it didn't cost like 2k to do, I would rip out the LWFW that came with my car.

So benefits I see of LWFW:
1) Faster throttle response. Good for blips in heel toe.
2) You will move through the revs faster which means you get to boost faster. I guess that's a nice touch.

Negatives:
1) Noise. It makes your car sound broken and you can't really do much below 2k RPM without a LOT of marbles rattling. This is admitedly worse in cold climates.
2) Stop and go traffic is annoying and the flywheel is touchy. You will learn to leave it in a lower gear at almost all times to avoid some of the problems.
3) You come off boost incredibly quickly as well so you have to be quicker through shifts. That's why it's awful for straightline speed - very quick loss of momentum.

So ultimately, be real with yourself about how you use the car. If it's a pure canyon carver/weekend track toy - go with the LWFW. If you do use it around town a decent bit or ever commute in it with some traffic - I wouldn't bother.

It's more of a weekend toy for me, but there is a good amount of urban driving I do with the car anyway. It's livable, but I would go dual mass given the choice.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Mpsuk is infamous around these parts
I have exact same dilemma. Also about to install cm stage 3. I am realy on the fence but i think im slightly leaning towards lw at the moment.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
will be a little stiffer with the CM 3
with gt2 slave mod and cm3 its MUCH stiffer in my opinion

Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
My .02,
The throttle response is cool but if your not blipping on downshifts or tracking it's not worth the rattle noise. You can make it pretty drive-able (is that a word?) with the correct disc though.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
It kind of reminds me of the exhaust debate. Is it too loud or not.
Some people with the same exact exhaust have completely different stories on them. Some love em some hate em. Its a matter of tolerance or opinion.

Maybe a way to measure this is if you have a very loud catless exhaust or straight pipes you would be the personality type that would like a LWFW. If you are more on the hard core side go with the LWFW. If not, maybe it isn't for you.

My opinion ( remember you asked ) is if you are asking about it or concerned about the noise it it not for you.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Mpsuk is infamous around these parts
I have a 3 inch b&b exhaust and 100cel cats and was told it would be to loud. I think it sounds good and not intrusivly loud. My car is just a toy though, not dd. therefore i am swaying towards lwfw

Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the replies, who has the best deal on a dual mass flywheel

Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Tubo Todd +1 "It kind of reminds me of the exhaust debate. Is it too loud or not.
Some people with the same exact exhaust have completely different stories on them. Some love em some hate em. Its a matter of tolerance or opinion."

Maybe you should fine someone in your area and go for a test drive?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
It kind of reminds me of the exhaust debate. Is it too loud or not.
Some people with the same exact exhaust have completely different stories on them. Some love em some hate em. Its a matter of tolerance or opinion.

Maybe a way to measure this is if you have a very loud catless exhaust or straight pipes you would be the personality type that would like a LWFW. If you are more on the hard core side go with the LWFW. If not, maybe it isn't for you.

My opinion ( remember you asked ) is if you are asking about it or concerned about the noise it it not for you.
Interestingly, I have a EP Loud and the flywheel annoys me more than the drone. Haha. I kind of like the low rumble it gives the car even with the added drone - somehow THAT is worth it to me? I'm probably weird.

Plus there is one car in the parking garage whose alarm gets set off by idling pretty much, so that always brings a smile to my face.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
If I had the budget to do the clutch right (which is to change out to a GT2 slave), I would do the upgraded clutch and LWFW. However, I am on a budget, so I stuck with a stock clutch and resurfaced my existing FW just to not upset my slave cylinder and save some money. The Porsche already makes a little more noise than a normal car and with most modded cars, exhaust gets swapped out as well...so I think the sound shouldn't be a problem. If you plan to get turbos swapped/upgraded, you are probably the type that will enjoy the benefits of the LWFW. If you are happy with a stock Turbo...then keep the dual mass. My $.02.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My head is spinning.. light weight or dual mass??