996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Window not coming down when I open the door??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Window not coming down when I open the door??

Hey guys, anybody not have there window open the usual small amount when you open the door? I was getting groceries today and used the key to unlock the door and the car honked back at me. I'm like strange whats wrong now? Drivers door all works perfect, but the passenger door window won't do the usual slight opening/closing thing when you open the door.
But both doors still lock and operating both windows work perfectly. Just the passenger door not doing the slight up/down thing when you open the door. Also the door lock switch in the dash is on. It works fine too but if you hit the lock switch I can hear the passenger door lock twice and then the horn honks but the door locks and unlocks fine.
Annoying.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
It will be one of two things:

1) The microswitch in the door lock
2) The regulator will have a stretched cable.

Does the motor work/sound when you pull the handle for the door convenience opening? If not it will be the switch. There are a few DIYs on the net for it.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's the switch. I went to the drivers side and if I listen closely I can hear the switch clicking and the window does its thing. The passenger side I can hear the click but nothing happens but it's tricky to get it to make the clicky sound before the door just opens. I have to slowly wiggle the door handle to make the switch contact. I did get it to work once but that's it.
Anybody have a part number or know of a post that will help? I'm hoping it's just come unplugged or the bolts holding it in place have gotten loose.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:07 PM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Toynbee has a spectacular aura aboutToynbee has a spectacular aura about
I don't believe that the switch can be purchased separately. The latch mechanism needs to be replaced ($160 IIRC + 2 hours labor). Mine was just done two days ago by my indy. I did see a DIY with a generic microswitch replacement wired up to the existing latch. That would certainly be a cheaper option. I forget where I saw the write-up. My mechanic basically said that the microswitch is the problem, but he had not done a switch only repair.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Anybody got a part number for this? I don't want to pull the stupid door panel, chances are my luck I'll damage the leather. Ugh
Good info guys but wish I could find a full DIY on removing the door latch.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Outside playing with the door, sometimes it works after I flick the red lock switch, sometimes it doesn't know the door is open(the interior lights not coming on). And sometimes it thinks the door is closed and it goes down then up again right away. And it honks every time I hit the lock switch on the dash as it tries to lock twice(not sure why as it always manages to fully lock the first time. )
Going to have to plug in my durametric when the wife brings the laptop home.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
Replace the door latch , I did mine myself , kinda hard to stick your hands in the door , but any semi DIY guy can do it , takes about 1-2 hr

Call Porsche u can get the latch for 150-80

Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Omar, it seems when the problem happens the car doesnt know the door is open or closed( no dome light comes on) or it quickly goes up and down then back up, almost like its confused about whether the door is open or closed.
Was this also your issue? And if so you just replaced the door latch not the whole mechanism? Or is it all one peice?

Old 01-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Just scanned it with my durametric here's what came up
47 control locking synchronization frequency counter 6
61 central locking limit position unlock not reached frequency counter 11
60 central locking limit position lock not reached frequency counter 2

I can see why the frequency count was high as I was playing with it trying to get it to replicate the problem, but is it adjustable? Like possible a cable isn't getting pulled enough or it's stretched? Or is there no cable at all?
The door truly locks and unlocks fine every time, but maybe the computer isn't getting the message as well as if it doesnt know if the door is closed or open causing my window comfort opening issue and lack of dome light coming on?
Would replacing the door latch fix this? If so has anybody had this issue and what part number did they use so I get the right part?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:36 AM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Before you do anything, do the reset (explained here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...der-close.html).

Fixed the same problem for me.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I you ever found the problem being the switch in your door handle, it can be replaced. You don't have to replace the complete door handle mechanism. You will found all the info , part # and how to here: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-switches.html

Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gearhead
Was this also your issue? And if so you just replaced the door latch not the whole mechanism? Or is it all one peice?
i had this same issue. my tech, went over to a dead boxter, removed the drivers door latch mechanism, and replaced it with mine which was faulty. problem solved. the hardest part for me, was watching him tear apart my interior door panels and remove the mirror adjustment panel with a solid yank then stuff it al back together, when finished. my car felt cheaper after viewing the exposed door panels.

he'd done it many times before. 30-45 minutes, tops. gl with it, thats' probably what it is. minor annoyance, easy fix ( for someone other than me ).

Old 01-14-2012, 12:22 PM
did it look like this? I cant find the right side on pelican? they both say left? Weird.

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gearhead
did it look like this? I cant find the right side on pelican? they both say left? Weird.
that's it. don't know if the're interchangeable L/R, but it must also be a 986/996 part since mine was scavenged.

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 01-14-2012 at 01:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window not coming down when I open the door??