996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT3 test drive (from the point of view of a Turbo owner)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
GT3 test drive (from the point of view of a Turbo owner)

Hey, thought this might be fun to share with you guys...

Porsche 911 GT3 test drive

Thanks to the generosity of a good friend, I finally had my chance to drive one of my dream cars...a 2004 Porsche 911 GT3. The example in question is modified and has an AWE Tuning high flow exhaust (not to mention a full 997.1 RS body, but I wanted to limit discussion to the pure mechanical details). When I bought my own 2001 Turbo I didn't have the budget for a GT3 and have long since pined for one, fearing that I was a GT3 enthusiast trapped in the shell of a Turbo driver since I appreciate lightweight drivers cars. I've long fantasized and imagined what it must be like to own and drive a GT3, and wondered if I'd ever have the chance to drive one within reason. So, it was a pretty great opportunity to get the chance!

I'd been around the car in question before, but never as a passenger or as a driver. So, without further delay, here are some thoughts to share with you guys...

The sound, my god...the sound! No Turbo could ever, ever sound like this!!! The sound was truly intoxicating, something you never get tired of, and really spine tingling and incredible! However, the sound comes at a price since the car was far too loud for casual daily use (due to the aftermarket exhaust). This is a setup you have to keep under 2000 RPM to sneak around the neighbhorhood, have to tolerate some levels of drone, and worry about noise ordinances and unwanted attention when you rev it up past 5000 RPM, which you'll want to do often.

Despite the somewhat unfriendly nature of the car (low ride height, factory rear cage) and it's lack of civility, it's actually supremely easy to drive. The non assisted clutch was noticeably heavier than my Turbo, but hardly a problem and never felt too heavy at any time. By the end of my time with the car, I really didn't even notice the clutch effort at all. However, the noise was always an issue. It was soon no surprise to see why the owner of the car chose to wear ear plugs while driving it, and had a nice set of ear muffs for passengers...this car really needed them. The owner did tell me that the stock exhaust was much, much quieter in comparison, but this was my only time being in the car so it's the only experience I have to relay.

Another tremendous GT3 attribute was the ability to modulate the throttle, which was super linear compared to my Turbo. People always talk about this when comparing the two cars, but it's a huge difference that cannot be over-emphasized. You would be much more precise with the GT3 when the powerband is concerned, and throttle blips were very easy and effective on downshifts. This particular car still had the heavier stock 2004 flywheel, but it was extremely responsive by my Turbo standards.

It's such a surprising comparison to my own lightly modified 2001 Turbo that it's easy to see why so many enthusiasts choose to own both models concurrently. Despite sharing the same chassis, engine block, and having a nearly identical interior, it is an amazingly different car. I can easily imagine focusing on the strengths of each car instead of trying to turn one into the other, and that would be a terrific way to just enjoy them as they were meant to be. Keep the Turbo fast and comfortable, and use the GT3 for real track (and twisty) driving.

I've often read through GT3 versus Turbo comparisons on the forums that end with comments like "for the street a Turbo is the way to go but for the track the GT3 is king". I can honestly say that for a fast street car, I do think the Turbo is the obvious choice, and I'm really glad that I have a Turbo for my particular needs. I can also see why someone who was more interested in track driving would pick the GT3 every time, it is truly a race car for the street!

Last edited by Steve Theodore; 01-15-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Great review, and that's "only" the 04GT3... Wonder how much more a 997GT3RS would be.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Very nice writeup Steve. I had an opportunity to chat with a 996 GT3 owner at Laguna Seca last year. I recall that he was very happy with his car at the track, but didn't sing its praises as much for the street. Although I got the sense that if you could avoid having to deal with too much stop and go traffic, you could also have a blast on the street. For a DD with the occasional track duty, I've been very happy with the Turbo. And this is before I've embarked upon any serious upgrades....

Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 AM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
The 997 gt3 is much more streetfriendly compared to the 996 gt3. Test a 997 and it will blow your mind. Great review though

Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
+1

Originally Posted by sideWays_swe
The 997 gt3 is much more streetfriendly compared to the 996 gt3. Test a 997 and it will blow your mind. Great review though
Strongly agree having owned both in 997. my RS can go stealth with sport mode off, as u hardly hear the sharkwerks until 4k. The ride is marginally softer in the Turbo, but the RS could drive to work and back no issues. Biggest issue is the front spoiler being low, absent a lift, on the RS. For a fatter start from a stoo, clearly the Turbo. Too each his own, both are brilliant cars and too much fun! The 997 class brought the two closer in daily purpose capabilities. 991 may close the gap even further, but personally I hope not, as I love the more race feel of my gen 1 rs over the softer gen 2 rs.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sideWays_swe
I've heard the same thing. What were the key differences that made the 997 GT3 much more street friendly?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Thanks for the feedback guys. I hope to drive a 997 GT3 in the future to see what you guys are talking about. These are very special cars, there is no doubt about that...I've never thought that the marketing term 'race car for the street' applied so well as to that particular car. However, I'd really like to drive one with a stock exhaust (or the 997 version with the sport mode).

Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM
tgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the roughtgsmith4845 is a jewel in the rough
Great review, Steve. Thanks for posting. Two Porsche's, totally different cars. I love my 996 TT for the street, and have made a few mods for the track, but would definitely go to a GT3 for track use given enough $. Fun to play with, that's for sure!