996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Importing From Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
reddswiss has a spectacular aura aboutreddswiss has a spectacular aura about
Importing From Europe

Has anyone imported or shipped a car from Europe to the states? I am moving from Switzerland to San Diego in April. I would like to bring my car. From what I can see, all that is needed are the bumperettes, and supporting rear bumper.

If anyone has knowledge or experience importing a car, I would appreciate your input and/or advise.

I am an American, returning to the states after 11 years abroad.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
That is not so easy you will find and if the car was not produced to USA - California emission standards , you basically have very little chance of being successful. You should contact the California Board ... and chat with them...

Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM
I spoke with my mechanic. Sportec. I was told that the emission requirements for Swiss cars exactly match those for California, that smog specs are the same. My concern is the safety regs and importing experience of others.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...Equip_Req.html

That is the link to the resources for California.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 PM
There is a referee program that will allow you to " dispute" requirements etc . Worthwhile talking with them . Here is the link BTW the fact that you are a USA citizen does really not matter for the folks in Californication. It's all about the car ...

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...e_Centers.html

Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Aren't cars in Switzerland crazy expensive? Unless your care has something extremely unique I imagine you can sell it there and get something newer/better here for the same price.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
CA emissions should be same as here, not an issue. If it becomes one, I appreciate the info. I am looking for safety regs, bumper Etc.

The only benefit of being a US citizen, returning home is the tax/duty exemption. Car is part of my household allowance and tax exempt.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Here is a checklist of things to look at ...

Verify that the vehicle conforms to U.S. and/or California emission control standards.

Check for conformity

The vehicle must meet either U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or California standards. It is legal in California to buy or sell a used vehicle that meets only federal standards.

Look for an underhood label

1971 and newer vehicles have label showing that they were manufactured to meet either California or U.S. standards. The label is affixed in the engine compartment or in a readily accessible location. At the top of the label are the words VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROL INFORMATION and the corporate name or trademark of the manufacturer.

Gray market (direct import) vehicles not originally designed to meet U.S. specifications may require major modifications and must be certified by the Air Resources Board before registration in California.

If you encounter any vehicle without a label indicating that it meets either U.S. or California standards, watch out. Beware of unsubstantiated claims that the vehicle meets the standards or that it can be easily equipped with pollution control devices.

4.) Verify that the vehicle has the smog equipment required by law.

Check for required emission control equipment

To be sure that all required emission control equipment is actually on the vehicle, have it checked by a licensed Smog check technician.

Abbreviation of major emission control systems

These systems are identified on the underhood label by the following abbreviations:

AIR

Air injection reactor

AIV

Air injection valve (pulse air injection)

CAT

Catalytic Converter

CCV

Closed crankcase ventilation

CL

Closed loop

DI

Diesel injection

EFI

Electronic fuel injection

EGR

Exhaust gas recirculation

EGS

Exhaust gas sensor (oxygen sensor)

EM

Engine modification (includes systems with oxidation catalysts)

FI

Fuel injection (gasoline)

HO2S

Heated oxygen sensor

OC

Oxidation catalyst

O2

Oxygen sensor

PAIR

Pulse air injection reactor

PFI

Port fuel injection

TR

Thermal reactor

TWC

Three-way catalyst system (includes systems combined with oxidation catalyst)

Smog control equipment requirements

All vehicles in the Smog Check Program (1976 and newer) were originally equipped with crankcase and exhaust emission controls.

Computer Control

The Computer Control System

Computerized engine controls were introduced as early as 1977 and by the early 80's most vehicles had such systems. The computer controls the air/fuel mixture, ignition timing, and various emission devices. Some of the major components are the oxygen (O2) sensor, temperature sensor, mixture control solenoid, and the microprocessor (computer).

Tampered computer control system

If a system has been tampered with, you may find the mixture control solenoid disconnected or removed, a non-computer control carburetor installed, or the O2 sensor disconnected. Correcting a tampered computer control system could be very costly.

Air Injection Reaction

Air Injection Reaction (AIR)

The air injection reaction system is used on almost all late model vehicles and may be found on some vehicles as early as 1966.

The air injection reaction system is designed to supply more air to the exhaust manifold and to actually burn the unburned portion of the exhaust gases.

Engine view, air injection reaction system picture

Pump Type Air Injection Reaction System (PAIR)

In a pump type air injection reaction system that is intact, the belt is on the pump, the hoses and lines are installed, and no abnormal noise is emitted during operation.

Exhaust pulse air injection reaction system

Some late model vehicles with air injection systems use exhaust pulse air injection. Such vehicles do not have air pumps. These systems may be identified by the terms Pulse Air Injection Reaction (PAIR), Aspirator, Thermactor 11, Suction and Reed Air Injection.

A small number of vehicles are equipped with electronically driven air pumps, and do not use a drive belt.

Tampered air injection reaction system

In a system that has been tampered with, you may find that the air pump, distribution hoses, valves, and manifold(s) have been removed and that the manifold holes have been plugged with pipe plugs. Replacement of any of these items could be costly.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system

The EGR system reduces oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions by recirculating controlled amounts of exhaust gases into the air/fuel mixture before they enter the combustion chamber.

Tampered EGR system

Check to see whether the EGR valve has been removed, damaged or plugged. Most EGR tampering is done by plugging the EGR signal line. A plugged line can usually be repaired quickly. However, prolonged plugging of the EGR system can create expensive engine damage.

The Catalytic Converter

The catalytic converter system

Most 1975 and later vehicles are originally equipped with a catalytic converter system.

After exhaust gases leave the engine, they react with material in the catalytic converter, where secondary burning (oxidizing) continues.

Tampered catalytic converter system

Restoring a tampered catalytic converter system can be an expensive job.

Check to see whether the converter has been removed. Don't mistake the muffler or resonator for the converter.

If the converter has been removed, if a bypass tube has been installed, or if the inside of the unit has been gutted, a replacement converter will have to be installed.

Tampered fuel inlet

The converter requires use of unleaded gasoline. Check the fuel filler inlet (gas tank opening) for damage or enlargement. A tampered fuel inlet is a good indication of fuel switching.

Use of leaded gasoline in a vehicle may also damage other critical components of the vehicle, such as the oxygen sensor.

Crankcase Ventilation

The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system

Blow-by gases collect in the crankcase when a small amount of unburned gases seep past the piston rings during combustion.

Early gasoline engines vented air polluting blow-by gases into the atmosphere. The PCV system vents blow-by gases back into the combustion chamber for burning.

Blow-by gases must be removed from the crankcase to reduce engine wear and lessen pollution.

A spring-loaded valve controls the PCV system. Engine vacuum draws blow-by gases from the crankcase, through the control valve and into the combustion chamber. Filtered air replaces blow-by gases removed from the crankcase. The control valve and filter are interconnected with hoses.

Tampered PCV system

Look for disconnected hoses, plugged vacuum hose, or a vented oil filler cap.

Evaporative Emission Control

The Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) system

The EVAP system is designed to contain and store these harmful vapors. It operates continually while the vehicle is being driven and while parked. The EVAP system contains a sealed fuel tank, nonvented gas cap, liquid-vapor separator, vent lines, and the vapor storage canister. When fuel evaporates within the gas tank, vapors flow through the lines to a storage canister located in the engine compartment. Vapors are purged from the canister to the intake burned while the engine is running. Although all systems work on the same principle, the location of the canister does vary. Non-factory auxiliary fuel tanks must be approved by the California Air Resources Board before installation.

Tampered EEC system

It is unlikely that anyone would intentionally remove or modify the components of the EVAP, but look for disconnected lines in the engine compartment due to use of a missing canister. Check the gas cap for proper fit and nonvented type.

Thermostatic Air Cleaner

The thermostatic air cleaner system (TAC)

Most carbureted and some fuel-injected engines preheat the intake air to improve driveability and reduce emissions during cold start-up. Preheated air is routed through the inlet snorkel using a vacuum-operated damper.

A temperature sensor within the air cleaner housing regulates the damper. When the engine reaches operating temperature, the damper blocks the hot air duct and allows cooler air through the snorkel.

Tampered TAC system

Look for a missing or torn air duct between the snorkel and the heat stove. Vacuum hoses must be present and connected. Turning the air cleaner lid upside down defeats the purpose of a TAC and is deemed a modification.

Buying a modified Vehicle

If a vehicle has been highly modified or equipped with special manifold and carburetion "speed parts," beware of tampering.

If you are in doubt about the condition of the major emission control components or aftermarket modifications, have the vehicle inspected by a licensed Smog Check technician before you buy the car.

Remember--it is the seller's legal responsibility to make sure that the required emissions control systems are on the vehicle and functioning properly and to provide you with a Smog Certificate.

The California Department of Consumer Affairs' Bureau of Automotive Repair

The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) is the branch of the California Department of Consumer Affairs that regulates the auto repair industry. BAR provides consumer information and assistance in the areas of auto repair and automotive smog control.

All California auto repair shops must be registered with BAR. To do smog inspections, shops and technicians must have special licenses issued by BAR.

If you have questions about smog control equipment, you can contact a state-licensed Smog Check station. Look in the yellow pages of your telephone book or search the database of active Smog Check stations on this Web site.

BAR field offices are open between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m Monday through Friday (except state holidays).

Or call toll-free 1-800-952-5210.

Checklist

Does the vehicle's identification number match the registration documents?

Is the person selling the vehicle the registered owner?

Is the vehicle certified for sale in California or U.S. or is it an imported nonconforming vehicle?

Are major emission control components installed, as listed on the underhood label:

Air injection reaction system

Catalytic converter

Exhaust gas recirculation system

Thermostatic air cleaner

Evaporative emission control

Crankcase ventilation system

Computer control system

Do any aftermarket modifications render the vehicle uncertifiable?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by reddswiss
CA emissions should be same as here, not an issue. If it becomes one, I appreciate the info. I am looking for safety regs, bumper Etc.

The only benefit of being a US citizen, returning home is the tax/duty exemption. Car is part of my household allowance and tax exempt.
Don't count on it !!! Your best bet is the Referee program... You ask first..... The fact you are US citizen , lived abroad etc does not make two hoots difference... Suggest NOT to move that car without having clear permission to import... You may find you car will be parked in San Diego Harbor for a few years...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by muker
Aren't cars in Switzerland crazy expensive? Unless your care has something extremely unique I imagine you can sell it there and get something newer/better here for the same price.

More $$$ than in the states. As I own it and know it, would rather not go through it again. My car is clean. That and I need to plan the move and can’t count on it selling fast. I have tracked TT's here for months that remain unsold.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with hroussard, it's not that easy. I've never imported a car to the US from another country, but I have imported many cars from the US into Canada. Remember this is the federal government if you don't meet there requirements too bad. You just got a very expensive lawn ornament.
But that being said, it is possible just lots of hoops to jump through and paperwork to file. I personally would sell the car there and get another in the states and avoid the headache like someone else mentioned. It would be worth more there anyway.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Many many years ago my uncle and grandfather imported two Porsches. They sat in Jacksonville FL for a little over a year getting grey marketed. They said they would never go through that again. Both sold the cars about a 6 months to a year later.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Wonder how I know about this?? I had a German Made Mercedes that I imported in the US... Just into Arizona at that point. Of course it ended up as a grey import with several 1000's of dollars of work done too it. Then I "imported" the car in California. Needed a referee approval... because it was not California approved... Sold the car a few years later for a song... nobody wanted to buy it . Value " ZERO !!! That was 20 years ago. Recent laws have basically made it impossible. So if you want to import that car as a "track car only" you can do that with very little issues.. However.. don't count on getting that car approved unless the cars sold to Switzerland have a California Sticker... which I doubt... Check it and let us know. But... you are warned... in the most nicest possible way that you are going to have some trouble.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
You may also find that the glass (windows, windshield etc) doesn't meet North American standards and have to be replaced. Years ago even the upholstery materials in Euro models did not have the required fire safety material in them to meet NA standards. Not sure about now though.

John in Vancouver