996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking to buy a 996T in Houston- HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pumptech
Unlike u, I am giving specific examples and not just saying "oh yeah...well ur dumb and don't know what a clutch is"

I have explained how much you have spent vs a built tip owner and you don't seem to want to touch that nor the idea of a built tips reliability and consistency over a 6spd. Those 3 things are really all I am arguing but you keep going off on tangents (and i did too with PDK) and not countering my factual points. Powell knows how to argue with facts and experience and at least makes points that make me think instead of laugh!! And that's why most of us are all here...to learn, think, and question.

Bahrain996tt 900hp and 9.90sec from EVOMS a 997tip

Skeeter is building an 850whp 997tip form switzer

Emre says, and he builds the damn thing: "We have a pretty strong Tiptronic upgrade kit which is running on more than 17 cars so far..

It's exactly the same kit thats on my car, it has been proven to hold about ~1000hp without any issues.

I have tested this kit more than 30.000km on my personal 997tt. It will also shift much faster then the original Tip gearbox."

I realize these are 997 but there is little internal difference and the same guys doing 997 tips also do 996 tips.

And I can't stress enough...this is all done cheaper than 6spd.
My point exactly, they are pretty much all ESMOTOR tranny upgrades (Vivid also has an upgrade....it has not been proven on any 996'sd however) which are only on the 997. The 997's can also use a Merc S65 tranny.

Please, stick to the question, it is not asking about 997's, it is asking about 996's.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I certainly ope you are not referencing this thread:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rebuild-3.html

The cost was $6,231, not counting shipping and the airplane ride, and the shop would not guarantee that the tranny would handle high hp applications!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I certainly ope you are not referencing this thread:https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rebuild-3.html

The cost was $6,231, not counting shipping and the airplane ride, and the shop would not guarantee that the tranny would handle high hp applications!
nah...not the one at all. but lets examine how you twisted the wording!

first of all, the cost for the tip was $5200 (he had $1000 in other work done). Which is ONCE AGAIN much better than the $10-$12000 that you have spent on yours, and only $1200 more than your clutch!!!! and just to be clear this was installation and removal, all parts, all labor, and fluids. not sure why you keep bringing up how cheap the tip upgrade is compared to yours, not a good argument!!

second they did give him a warranty "FixEuro's rebuild price quote included both the parts AND labor, including rebuilding the torque converter. They also have a 1 year, 12K mile warranty for the rebuild for no extra charge" if he didn't do TQ would have been $750 off.

third, they never said it wouldn't handle high power applications! just that they were not going to speculate about its limits. "FixEuro was very confident that my tiptronic will hold more torque than a stock unit, but did not feel prudent to try to give me a hp/torque figure (although I did wrangle Steve to feel comfortable estimating around 650-700 ft/lds of torque)" which is likely 700-750HP. I think most would agree this is a high power application. this is also the first built TIP this shop has ever done! to rate it to 650-750ft/lbs is likely very conservative on their part!

Lastly, there was no shipping charge indicated as it appears he drove it there and back. but yes I'm sure he did have to spend $150 on a plane ticket from south texas to north texas.

prices for tip rebuilds range from an introductory minimal build $3500 at vivid to full blown mac daddy builds $7500 at IPT...and i honestly don't recall what MKB price is (its up there). but why ship it to germany when 3,4,5 places do it here. Vivid also claims 900HP.... just for the record.

I'm sorry....what was your point?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I'm sure he will accept your offer as I am about to buy his seats and possibly his roll bar.

Originally Posted by ajay
Jitsu,

i have had some experience, but not really on this level. I'm not really sure what experience would be adequate, but needless to say, I am coming into this with a healthy amount of respect.

It reminds me of the first time I got on a sportsbike when I was 17.

Currently I have a '63 Impala, a '72 cheyenne, an 06' RRS SC, an 05 M5 but I want this to be my daily.

I've had a couple 500rwhp+ GTE singled turbo lexus coupes and if we go back to the stone age, a couple 500rwhp 300ZX turbos (those cars are hard to handle, I totaled both of them)

Either way - Ben has to say yes first.. Albiet, I'm a bit scared that he does !

-a

Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
I do apologize for the hijack. I'm pretty well done arguing about this.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by pumptech
I'm pretty well done arguing about this.
That is good because your argument is not supported by any evidence/facts. There is not one 996 tiptronic capable of handling 1K hp (my 6 speed will, by the way...it is now a racing tranny).

There are 997s, but that is because the platform is better suited and the r and d coasts were already done. To build a tip that will be as strong as my tranny would run over 10K (ask Akram at Mwerks, or Steve Ott or anyone else who is knowledgeable like Brian Copain, G box etc).

Good luck building one that does, and when you are ready we can line them up and settle this matter (and of course see how things hold up after that).

I am not going to post anymore because you are impervious to facts and would prefer to live in your fantasy world.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:50 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Shall we return to Ajay's topic now???

Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
#1 You're selling the TIP short in this statement because it's simply not true. I have videos to prove that my 16/16g tip with even less WHP was faster than a 24/18 6 Speed. This was because there was ZERO boost loss between shifts AND the drivetrain loss was a non-factor. A 550WHP TIP will always beat a 550WHP six speed period.

#2 Yes my tip was stock and I rebulit it to stock again ($6000). But, again when I felt the slightest slip in 3rd to 4th gear, I de-modded the car and sold it. I may have kept the car if there were the TIPTRONIC options available at the time like you have now. There is only one other 996 Tip faster than mine but its a 24/20 car and has the latest moddified TIP innovations to boot.

#3 Not sure what you mean by this statement.
Wow I just read this thread. Not sure why Jitsu is being a dick but anyway. I agree with just about everything pumptech has said. Fact of the matter is that a tiptronic is much cheaper for a turbo if you are doing mods (not a $50k build). Anyone can take their tiptronic to Renntech and get better clutches installed for under $3k and it will handle any GT30's. Done.

1)Todd, a 550 WHP Tip car is putting out almost 800 HP to the crank while the manual is closer to 700 HP, so of course the tiptronic should win, but the tiptronic had to put more mods on the car.

2)I am not sure why you are making something up...you charged me $3,500 to have my tip rebuilt to OEM and I know your costs was under $2k. IPT and Renntech have been doing the modifications to Mercedes transmissions for many years, including the time you had your car. You chose not to have it done.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM
ajay is infamous around these parts
No worries on the jacking. This thread is pretty well boned.

I recommend everyone go back and research their respective positions and reignite this topic in its own all new subject line so everyone can join the fun whilst I shop for a GT3 wing and wheels =)

-a

Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
What wheels you shopping for?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM
ajay is infamous around these parts
I'm really hard on my wheels so I think for a silver car a 19 or 20" RUF replica wheel would fit the bill best.

If I can't find something like that then I'll likely scour the FS for a nice multipiece forged 19" wheel which seem to be fairly common.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
nizzki,

I made an offer on ben's car. Its more car than i was looking for, but I can't pass up the opportunity. He has been in Vegas so no answer yet, but I suspect in a few short days, that beast is mine.

As for the houston car, the sales person and I got off on the wrong foot, and the mountain of horrendous reviews about the dealership has convinced me that it isn't the car for me. Call me crazy but, I think the buying experience is a big part of getting a new car. I wouldn't buy the 'right' car if I had to give my money to an a**hole.

I guess i'm old school about the principle of it all.

-a
You made the right choice here. You will be much happier that you didn't buy from them.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
As far as wheels go, I prefer the look of 18s
Most people here would say 19s look better though
20s are definitely too big though (IMO)

Right now I've got a real thing for RUF modular wheels
(the split rims)

I think they look amazing, but if you're hard on wheels they might not be great

Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Either way - Ben has to say yes first.. Albiet, I'm a bit scared that he does !

-a

A,

Emailed you this a.m. Steve is going to get the car through the final inspection you requested. I'll send the results as soon as I have them. I'm hoping it's no later than tomorrow afternoon. I suspect it will be tomorrow a.m. After that I don't see anything getting in the way. I'll follow up again with results in the a.m.

Thanks again for all of the kind words in this thread. It makes the money spent on the car a little more bearable when the praise comes like this.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Congrats on the seemingly done deal!!!What next Benny boy?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 996T in Houston- HELP!