996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A Few More Pictures with the New Camera………………⠀¦

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:54 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Ken,
Your pics and car look freakin great.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:50 AM
6spd, 2wheels, 600cc x2
Thundarr is infamous around these parts
HAM

Originally posted by Dave
Wow. Now I'm thoroughly confused! Can someone please just let us non-HAM folks know what this is all about. Aside from my V1 and Magellan 700, I'm not too savvy. Does all that stuff help you get some early info regarding speed traps? Or is it just a way to join another community of HAM people?
Im pretty tired right now Dave, or Id type out a big explanation of the differences between all that stuff. But the Readers Dig. vers is that CB is Citizens Band, commonly used by truckers or regular people who want to use radio to talk at some distance, and is based on 40channels (frequencies) in (if i remember right) the 11meter wavelength. The strongest signal wins, just like FM radio. No licence needed to operate but youre not supposed to modify your output wattage , but many people do. Its not organized at all so its ususally pretty crappy sounding and people but in or talk over you, still its very fun and cheap to get into.

HAM or Amateur Radio covers a whole range of radio types, frequencies, and levels of operator licences. Some of those freq's are reserved for Police/Fire/Emergency, Business, and Aircraft use, but since you cant truly secure analog airwaves, scanners let you tap into almost all of those. The FCC controls all of these freqs. and so to transmit you need a mobile or base station (transceiver), and youre supposed to be licenced. You can "key up" repeater systems that are opearated usually privately by HAMs or HAM clubs and talk over a much greater distance, but all the rules of being courteous apply.

Getting to your question, Yeah, it could be a way to find out about a speed trap, thought I think a radar detector and good brakes are much more effective. I used to use 2meter ham and find out about traffic conditions when I was stuck in crappy South Bay Area traffic. The actual medium of Radio for talking doesnt play any role in radar tho.

Hope that clears some stuff up for you Dave.

Last edited by Thundarr; 05-17-2005 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:43 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Thundarr
I have the 207H, had it mounted in my Mustang, then th Exploder i drove, and after 2 years I havent mounted it in my Nissan truck. Then again I dont have my license for broadcasting so its not such a big deal.

The mod involved removing the solder from a few points on the inside of the radio. The functions it opens up are very noteworthy and useful but Im not going to go into them at length. I have to dig deep in my pc backups to find the links for the sites that showed how to mod em.

Wow, repeater station on the model up? thats nuts. Im guessing thats the same thing as what the advanced mobiles I looked at have, which is cross-band repeat. The input of one band gets tossed out the output of your other band. Our friend Dave (also has a 207H) explained it to be that its good for using your vehicle as a repeater so if you have a handheld radio, you hit your vehicle, which keys up the actual repeater, talks out on that public frequency and vice versa.

Thats probly WAY confusing if youre not into HAM but if you are, its pretty cool.

some other time ill put up links to the ham & cb gear i own, too tired right now
could not resist posting this shot of you. It's all in the eyes...

Old 05-17-2005, 11:35 AM
6spd, 2wheels, 600cc x2
Thundarr is infamous around these parts
that would be eshaun's 5min photosop on a laptop outside of starbucks. The pic was originally of me trying on a helmet and the rider, well thats some factory yamaha rider. I wish getting knee down was that effortless but I am usually smiling inside when i do :-D

Old 05-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned
PCH CRUISE is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by KPV
Shaun,
I have the K40 Speech Processor CB, the Uniden BCT-7 and the Alpine 7996. Here is the greatly recirculated console pic..

Im sorry, but what exactly are all those electronic things, I know one is navigation, v1, and the head unit, but the k40 and other thing? what exactly are they used for?

Old 05-18-2005, 07:35 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
K40 is a radar detector and the other thing is a scanner/cb radio. You can listen to the boys in blue and you can talk to truckers!

Old 05-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
If the K40 is a radar detector, then why does he need a V1? Or is that the other way around?

Old 05-18-2005, 08:17 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
K40 is a CB
Uniden Scanner
V1 radar and laser

Old 05-18-2005, 12:31 PM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Old 05-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by PorscheFanatic
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=260705

haha you're famous
Referring to KPV's 996TT and this thread, Asuraos9 from the E46 Fanatics forum wrote: "i would probably take it up the *** once if i could have that car."

Interesting proposal . . . What do you think Sharky? You do drive a Ghey Tip. Where is Matt Fresh when you need him?

Craig

Last edited by Craig; 05-18-2005 at 02:30 PM.