996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone use a wool bonnet to buff off wax/polish?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Anyone use a wool bonnet to buff off wax/polish?

Just wondering if some wool bonnets I just bought are safe for the 996's finish. I would be using it on an orbital buffer. I did my Infinity and seemed fine, but it already had light swirl marks, so it's hard to tell.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Wool is aggressive

Are you using it for wax or polish?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Like Ant said, wool is aggressive.

Detailers Domain (Phil) on here sells the different colored pads. They work the best for all levels of polishing.

Phill is great to deal with, he will answer all your questions and hook you up with what products you would like / need. I have bought various things from DD over the years and he has always given me fabulous customer service.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
I have used the Griots orbital with very good results. I had some light swirls on my paint and used their Polish #2 which is a medium polish and then finished with the #3 which is a fine polish and really like how it looks. Their bonnets are made out of foam instead of wool or cotton. I finished it with P21S wax.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
What do you guys recommend for the type of cloth/rag for removing the wax/polish after using the buffing wheel? Are the micro-cloth types good for the final wipe? I have cobalt blue paint, so it will show swirls easily.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
ducati955 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by uschoice
What do you guys recommend for the type of cloth/rag for removing the wax/polish after using the buffing wheel? Are the micro-cloth types good for the final wipe? I have cobalt blue paint, so it will show swirls easily.
100 micro fiber is great, dont press too hard, u can create swirls micro scrathces w anything

Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uschoice
The Micro's are the best thing by far that I have found.
Here are some detailing how to's from the good folks at Adams products, they answer a lot of questions. I have also watched a bunch of good youtube how to's.

http://www.adamspolishes.ca/t-videos.aspx

Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Great info. Thanks Engine Guy.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Rich L is infamous around these partsRich L is infamous around these parts
Wool is typically reserved only for major paint correction (which it does well). It is very agressive and can easily burn paint if used on a rotary machine. A wool pad will not finish well and will mar the paint. For good results, it must be followed up with a less agressive pad and polish compound. It should not be used with wax.

When correcting paint, always start with the least agressive polish and work to a more agressive one only if needed. A good starting place may be a white or orange foam pad with a medium polish. Example include Meguiares 205 or Menzerna Power finish. Wash, clay, and tape off a 2-foot square to test. Do not continue with the rest of the vehicle until the results are satisfactory (i.e. the right amount of cut without introducing problems like holograms). If more cutting is required, move to a more agressive polish on an orange cutting pad. Examples include Meg's 105 or Menzerna Super Intensive Polish.

Clay the entire car, mask off the trim, and go to work. Don't work in the sun, and only apply a thin layer of polish according to the polish manufacturer's instruction. Do not attempt to polish out scratches that reach to the primer or can be felt. These are a lost cause and will require you to remove significant amounts of paint. Sometimes this means you can only correct to 70-80%.

A finish polish, used in conjunction with a finishing pad, is typically needed to extract the paint's full potential. This takes out the small scratches left by the previous polishing step. Follow up with a new finishing pad (typically black) to apply your wax or paint sealant. Use a thick, clean microfiber rag to gently remove the hazed residue. Stubborn wax residue typically occurs when the paint is too hot (e.g. in the sun) or too much product is used. In a pinch, quick detailer can help get it off.

Porsche paint on my 996tt is very enjoyable paint to correct and work with.

Autopia.org is a good forum to look through.

Last edited by Rich L; 01-26-2012 at 09:20 PM.