996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake pads on a 996TT wont release.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Edward Bloomer is infamous around these parts
Question Brake pads on a 996TT wont release.

Tyring to change my brake pads. Did everything I'm supose to do. Release cotter pin, remove sensors, release center pin, compressed he caliper but the pads won't come out. There seems to be something from the piston thats stuck on the pads. There is two shaft about the size of dime thats coming out of the center of the piston thats stuck on the pads on both side. What am I missing here.
Thanks.:co nfused:

Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edward Bloomer
Tyring to change my brake pads. Did everything I'm supose to do. Release cotter pin, remove sensors, release center pin, compressed he caliper but the pads won't come out. There seems to be something from the piston thats stuck on the pads. There is two shaft about the size of dime thats coming out of the center of the piston thats stuck on the pads on both side. What am I missing here.
Thanks.:co nfused:
THere are vibration dampers that are stuck on (adhesive) the back of the pads and fit in the piston.Use a spatuala or something thin in between the pad and the vibration damper to seperate the two and they will come out

Old 01-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Edward Bloomer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by joetwint
THere are vibration dampers that are stuck on (adhesive) the back of the pads and fit in the piston.Use a spatuala or something thin in between the pad and the vibration damper to seperate the two and they will come out
Yep found out the hard way. Messed up one. I put a putty knife on the wrong side and broke off the screw holding the pad to the pucks. Do I really need those things? If yes I have to go to the dealers to get a new set. I don't seem to have those in the front brakes.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Edward Bloomer
Yep found out the hard way. Messed up one. I put a putty knife on the wrong side and broke off the screw holding the pad to the pucks. Do I really need those things? If yes I have to go to the dealers to get a new set. I don't seem to have those in the front brakes.
yes ,you need them otherwise the brakes will squeal like pigs.U should have them in the front too.I would get them from the dealer....they are not very expensive.Good Luck!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
yes ,you need them otherwise the brakes will squeal like pigs.U should have them in the front too.I would get them from the dealer....they are not very expensive.Good Luck!
I took them out when I changed my rotors and pads and my brakes are quiet as a mouse. Not a single squeal..... even with track pads. Its funny how everyone has a different experience when it comes to brake noise. I always slightly bevel the front and rear of the pads when new and that seems to take care of any noise. Do not install those things if you plan to track the car as the adhesive will not withstand the heat anyway.....