996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Power increase with 16g turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 AM
charlie1 is a jewel in the roughcharlie1 is a jewel in the roughcharlie1 is a jewel in the roughcharlie1 is a jewel in the rough
Power increase with 16g turbos

I wanted to ask what would be the approx. power increase with 16g turbos and would there be a seat of the pants difference. I have a 2001 with an epl flash and want to keep the stock muffler. Would the increase also be in the higher part of the rev range. I assume you would need to change the FP Regulator. Boost now is 1.0 bar-is it increased with the 16gs and if increased would the stock intercoolers be ok. Thanks for your input

Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
You should contact Tony at EPL - he will have the answers you need. We dynoed Seal Grays car with 16G's one day and he dynoed 505 AWHP after installing our exhaust, I believe with a 5 bar FPR and no other mods. Prior to that he had a stock exhaust. He picked up 42 AWHP with just our exhaust. If you back out the 42 AWHP from 505 - it translates to 463 AWHP for 16G's with stock exhaust. Tony figures about a 20% drivetrain loss, so I think that's about 560 flywheel HP with OEM exhaust and a little over 600FWHP with exhaust.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 AM
hrs1 is infamous around these parts
it WILL feel like totally different car, even w/o the exhaust. I had those turbos for a bit and they were great! I beleive on dyno it was 509rwhp but the big difference was all the trq!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm nearly certain you will need a new clutch (if you don't have an upgraded clutch already) to support 16g turbos. I'm pretty sure this is the path I'll be going down myself, but want to ensure I have the clutch handled before touching the turbos. Best wishes!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I'd say skip the 16g's and go with AMS's billet K16's. A little more expensive but they use a much better compressor wheel, thus giving you a lot more power potential. I did ~500awhp and 565awtq on EPL's dyno with AMS billet K16's, injectors and a custom EPL tune. I'm using stock exhaust with gutted cats.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by charlie1
I wanted to ask what would be the approx. power increase with 16g turbos and would there be a seat of the pants difference. I have a 2001 with an epl flash and want to keep the stock muffler. Would the increase also be in the higher part of the rev range. I assume you would need to change the FP Regulator. Boost now is 1.0 bar-is it increased with the 16gs and if increased would the stock intercoolers be ok. Thanks for your input
Hi,Why would you want to keep the stock exhaust,unless for sound reasons??Then there are mods to do to it or an after market quite version..You would not be taking full benefit of those turbos or any other future power mods...You would get a boost right now even with your flashed car with an exhaust....

Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Billets are great for what you want. You can also modify your stock exhaust with high flow cats and it will almost sound stock. pm sent.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I'd say skip the 16g's and go with AMS's billet K16's. A little more expensive but they use a much better compressor wheel, thus giving you a lot more power potential. I did ~500awhp and 565awtq on EPL's dyno with AMS billet K16's, injectors and a custom EPL tune. I'm using stock exhaust with gutted cats.

And I made even more than this with these turbos. Billet 16s are a great set up, for 99% of drivers, you can't go wrong, instant boost, little lag, tons of tq.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lennon31987
And I made even more than this with these turbos. Billet 16s are a great set up, for 99% of drivers, you can't go wrong, instant boost, little lag, tons of tq.
this

i used tony at epl for mine, he scared the crap out of me when he took me for a test drive to show me what he'd done

now i scare the crap out of other people lol

Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Exclamation

I think Markski has several different types of K 16 set-ups...So far the k16 billets are the best option...Good Luck

Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by buzzm
this

i used tony at epl for mine, he scared the crap out of me when he took me for a test drive to show me what he'd done

now i scare the crap out of other people lol
I still scare the crap out of myself. The torque is just crazy.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
Guys - what order (besides all at once) would you do these upgrades on a STOCK 996 w only 15k miles?

Exhaust
Software (EPL)
K16 Billets
Clutch
SSK

I listed in order I had planned - and am thinking hard about buying an exhaust today...

Last edited by texeck; 01-31-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
Oh - and I am looking forward to scaring the crap out of myself too.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM
TweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to behold
What tires are you guys using to put power to the road at these HP/Tq lvls? I would guess you would be spinning through 1-2?

Originally Posted by Lennon31987

Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TweakitTT
What tires are you guys using to put power to the road at these HP/Tq lvls? I would guess you would be spinning through 1-2?
Toyo R888s are the ship

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power increase with 16g turbos