996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track car opinions please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Track car opinions please

Hi All-
I have been tracking my 996TT the past two years and have been having a fantastic time. I run a few time-trials and open class events and shooting for 5-10 events per year. My car has EPL flash, PSS9 with TRG drop links, lowered and corner balanced, standard seats, CoolCarbon pads/hightemp brake fluid, no roll protection, running V12 tires now but MPSCups last years. I have been toying with the idea of converting my car into something safer/lighter/quicker but it adds up quickly.

If I were to get a bit more serious in this car I would like to do seats/roll-bar/harness/tires and weld the rest of my water lines (two blew out last event). I'm thinking this could easily be another ~$10k.

Another option I have been exploring is a dedicated track car. I had been looking through the various websites and have been talking with a builder here in San Jose that does Miatas. They start with a base loaner Miata 96-98, gut it, cage, suspension (Koni, upper mounts, springs, coilover kit, sways), supercharge/IC/tune/blow-off, OS Giken LSD, AutoKonexion fastback hardtop, seat/belts/nets/steering wheel, radiator, wheels/tires, brakes, custom splitter, and seam weld. The car would be a turnkey racer/DE/TT and cost ~$27k (including car and 1 day at track with builder/coach). 2100lbs with ~230whp

I currently DD my 6TT car a few days a week only because my other car is a Prius and haven't sold it yet. Ideally I need a DD (preferably auto for wife) and a fun car that can be beat at the track. I may have to sell the 6TT to help fund this so question is what would you guys do/think? Asked the builder what the resale on this would be and they think $12-16k so clearly won't be recouping my investment- but not expected.

ok- flame on!

Last edited by Etchhead; 02-01-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
EH, don't forget about the cost of a truck, trailer, and possible storage fees in order to drive that SPEC Miata....your $27k may double or triple...all said and done, year one, may set you back $60-90K, not counting track fees, tires, pads, gas, and lodging.

Either way, you know I don't care because I can get you there, and I'll get to drive that Little Beast, right?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
You know it Vid- their other Miata was doing 1:50s at THill over the crowsnest so pretty quick and reliable.

Yah trailer rental at least ($70/day uhaul). Starting to add up-

Other option is to turn down the red-mist and just 8/10ths at the track and drive to-fro.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Sell the turbo, buy a GT3 and forget everything else. GT3 is useable on a daily basis and is a sweet sweet track car.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I started a reply about the spec miata, but it sounds like (especially with that price) that you're looking at a highly modified and tuned miata. While that could be a lot of fun, I'm not sure I'd give up the enjoyment of the 996TT on the street for that. If you really want to do more racing, maybe you should look into a spec miata (closer to $10K?) and keep the 996TT. That way, you'll have the best of both worlds -- a fun car for the street and occasional track events, and a dedicated track car that can be actually raced wheel-to-wheel if you so choose. Just an idea.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Simon Tibbett is infamous around these parts
Miatas are awesome, I don't know what you'd RACE that one in though.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Since you're a 996tt owner you like a powerful car. Better drive a Spec miata before piling that much $ into it. I have, and frankly have a hard time getting excited about jumping into a SM. If you want a budget racer you'll really be impressed with, consider a formula car. Even a formula vee can do things no street-based racer can.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Originally Posted by jayzbird
Since you're a 996tt owner you like a powerful car. Better drive a Spec miata before piling that much $ into it. I have, and frankly have a hard time getting excited about jumping into a SM. If you want a budget racer you'll really be impressed with, consider a formula car. Even a formula vee can do things no street-based racer can.
The car in question isn't a SM though.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 AM
Correct- this would not be a SM- lighter, better mods, and a bunch more power -230whp. Already have a sponsor who is offering up a free paint job as well so it shouldn't look like a Frankenstein build- just having a hard time getting my mind around a $27k Miata. Parts are so cheap though- replacement junk yard motor $800, 6-sp tranny $1500...

Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Do you plan on racing it wheel to wheel? What class would it be in? I could see spending that much on a nationally competitive SM but not on a random regional based car.

You can pickup a Radical or similar sports racer for around the same price.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Screw that, look up some E36 M3's for that much that will likely smoke that Miata and cost less doing so. Fully built race cars that someone else dumped a bunch of money into and that you can reap the rewards.

A track bud of mine bought an awesome example for 17k and is racing the crap out of it. 27k for a miata? Sorry, can't buy into that.

If all you are doing is time trials, invest a few dollars into driver coaching and setting that Turbo up and you'll beat most everybody except far more powerful or more prepared cars.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Screw that, look up some E36 M3's for that much that will likely smoke that Miata and cost less doing so. Fully built race cars that someone else dumped a bunch of money into and that you can reap the rewards.

A track bud of mine bought an awesome example for 17k and is racing the crap out of it. 27k for a miata? Sorry, can't buy into that.

If all you are doing is time trials, invest a few dollars into driver coaching and setting that Turbo up and you'll beat most everybody except far more powerful or more prepared cars.
You won't be turning the same times in a E36 M3 and enjoying the low maintenance cost as you would in a 230WHP Miata. That's not a crazy amount of power but in a light and nimble chassis it's pretty quick.

I still don't like the 27k price tag either though, not for this at least.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Savetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud of
look at turbomiata.com, miata.net and club roadster.. you can find some good cars already making some pretty decent power and with a good amount of mods way under 10K, then you just need a good suspension and you are set.. I just saw one with 270whp nicely modded for 7K

btw I am slowly building my little miata for track. I love tracking the turbo but it is not cost effective for me at this point in life

Last edited by Savetheclutch; 02-02-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for everyone's inputs. Have decided to turn down the build and will do another season with the 996tt. The DD option is very appealing to me, and will just try to have fun/learn more this year.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:46 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
+1. Coaching and track time will reap the biggest rewards.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track car opinions please