996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Coolant pipe repair. Parts needed....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpflip
You already got your answer for question # 2 Working too hard may be Frank!!!!

For question #1 , I have installed a Maxjax last summer . I had to redo the floor with the mandatory Fc = 3000psi (Strength of concrete)... In my case we put 5000 psi to be sure I got good anchorage even if I always wear a hard hat
A hard hat, an absolute must.

What height can you lift the car up to JP. Can you get the hoist to its max position. I ask because I'm looking into getting one as well, but 10ft to the trusses is the max height I can heave

Your doing very well BTW. Being able and having the tools to take an engine out DIY is one of my goals.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
A hard hat, an absolute must.

What height can you lift the car up to JP. Can you get the hoist to its max position. I ask because I'm looking into getting one as well, but 10ft to the trusses is the max height I can heave

Your doing very well BTW. Being able and having the tools to take an engine out DIY is one of my goals.

The Maxjax can go up only 45 inches from the ground. My ceiling being really low , it was the only option for me. I am talking about as lift with nothing in your way, the complete underside of the car is free! You got two position to lock it , one is full up and the other one is about midway which is perfect to work on the brakes, suspension....But you can always drill other holes on the post to put the locking bars....It was also only $2000.00 cdn delivered....

Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Found some visitors while inspecting! Really lucky, so far the wiring seems ok.....Now I need a cat

Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Found some visitors while inspecting! Really lucky, so far the wiring seems ok.....Now I need a cat
When I went to Barber earlier this year, the tech inspectors found half of a mop next to the battery from my industrious little mice.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
When I went to Barber earlier this year, the tech inspectors found half of a mop next to the battery from my industrious little mice.

Jon ,a dedicated racing driver with your experience, don't tell me you didn't feel this extra weight while driving in high speed curves?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Jon ,a dedicated racing driver with your experience, don't tell me you didn't feel this extra weight while driving in high speed curves?
Ha! Actually, I caught a snapshot of the little critter -- see below.

Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Ha! Actually, I caught a snapshot of the little critter -- see below.

That's a hat I wear when I work under my car with the Maxjax!!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Difficult day today . Because I have to remove the coolant pump housing and because in this housing there are the turbos reservoir scavenge pumps, you have to remove the three oil lines from and to the housing....THe lines from the turbo reservoir were completely seized. Even after an hour bath in release oil I could not remove them without damaging them....New lines on order

Attached Images    
Old 03-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Request for engine builder. The bracket under the oil cooler. The junction between this bracket and the engine case were the case breathing goes to the reservoir is only sealed with RTV. Any idea what kind I should used...My guess is high temp .... Thanks for your help....

Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Parts list updated today.....Post 1-2-3-6.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Difficult day today . Because I have to remove the coolant pump housing and because in this housing there are the turbos reservoir scavenge pumps, you have to remove the three oil lines from and to the housing....THe lines from the turbo reservoir were completely seized. Even after an hour bath in release oil I could not remove them without damaging them....New lines on order
Next time try heat, use a small propane torch on the housing surrounding the bolt. Heat is your friend loosening siezed nuts and bolts

Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Basic
Next time try heat, use a small propane torch on the housing surrounding the bolt. Heat is your friend loosening siezed nuts and bolts

Thanks for mentioning Basic. I come from a world where using a torch was forbidden so I did not think about that option. You think it would help without damaging anything, like coking the oil in the pipe or applying heat to the water pump housing with the dual turbo scavenge pumps ? But I will use this option next time , you can be sure...

Last edited by jpflip; 03-03-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Got a little bit of cleanup done last night on 5 pipes. Obviously the pinning option was no good for me because on two of the pipes the glued was in powder!!! Was able to pull the pipes by hand! But on the cooler bracket they were installed with much more glued. Strange option Porsche used.... Now these are ready for the welder... Moving forward

Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Should be fine, just dont heat it for more then say one minute. But it depends on the torch and the flow setting.

When you re-assemble use anti-seize on any bolt especially into aluminum, unless it needs a thread sealant or loctite.

You should consider replacing the coolant hoses and any other rubber hose while you are in there. I just received mine from Suncoast and was quite amazed at how inexpensive they were. The coolant tank as well as a new fuel filter.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Basic
Should be fine, just dont heat it for more then say one minute. But it depends on the torch and the flow setting.

When you re-assemble use anti-seize on any bolt especially into aluminum, unless it needs a thread sealant or lactate. In fact I have order all my parts last night, o-rings , pipes and let me tell you some of the o-rings are really expensive????

You should consider replacing the coolant hoses and any other rubber hose while you are in there. I just received mine from Suncoast and was quite amazed at how inexpensive they were. The coolant tank as well as a new fuel filter.
Just order mine from Pelican last night and they don't have 996-106-529-73 also 996-106-477-73...Where did you order yours? I have order all the parts I need for reinstallation last night. I was amazed to see the price of some of the o-rings! More expensive then Airbus parts and Airbus are the most expensive parts in the aviation market!!!!

The repair manual mention sometimes to used Loctite 574 but there is no mention of the cooler removal or the bracket under it. No torque no removal/installation. Under the cooler bracket there was some rtv. Which type would you use? It is only a crankcase breather port....

Basic we both live in the same country, do not hesitate to mention product that I can found in auto store or even Canadian tire, Thanks for your help....

Last edited by jpflip; 03-03-2012 at 10:36 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipe repair. Parts needed....