996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to fill up your 996T all the way at the gas station

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:54 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
How to fill up your 996T all the way at the gas station

Normally when you put the filler nozzle in gravity is pulling it straight down (6 o'clock position on the hour pointer of a watch). If you lift the handle up while inside the fuel filler, or rotate the the nozzle 90 degrees, you are now holding the nozzle sideways and the hose is pointing towards the passenger door facing the 9 o'clock position.

There is an electronically activated "switch" inside the gas receptacle that is supposed to activate when you insert the gas pump nozzle in. You want to engage that so that the flap opens inside the gas tank and allows you to fill it up all the way. Otherwise you get 3/4 tank most of the time.

You can hear the flap clicking open when the nozzle is being pulled up (literally pull up on the gas nozzle while inserted in the gas tank) instead of letting it rest down by gravity. or try the 9 o'clock position.

It took me 5 years to figure out how to permanently solve the car won't take more than 3/4 tank issue. But now, the car fills up all the way every time.

Last edited by MBailey; 02-16-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:49 AM
pzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to behold
this is really interesting... i'll try that the next time i'll have to visit the gas station

thx

Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Yes, 9 oclock has always worked for me -- except I figured it out in about 5 days after buying my car because I checked here at 6SO and found great info like this. This is the best site to learn about the little quirks of our cars.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I've had my 996TT for 4 years now and never had a problem filling all the way with the nozzle/handle in the normal position.

John in Vancouver

Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 AM
mitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud ofmitdrx has much to be proud of
This is good to know

Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I actually have to rotate mine to 12 o'clock, then it fills all the way up and then some. I'm able to set the handle lock and then just balance/lightly support the hose while its filling up.

At 6 o'clock I can't even get fifty cents in without it shutting off...major PITA!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vid997
i actually have to rotate mine to 12 o'clock, then it fills all the way up and then some.
+ 1.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
For me it depends on the gas station. I found a Shell station by my house where it works every time with the handle in the right position.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Dumb question -- but how many gallons should we be getting in there? I never paid attention to if I thought it was 3/4 or full.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Didn't know this, going to have to give it a try.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr4henry
Dumb question -- but how many gallons should we be getting in there? I never paid attention to if I thought it was 3/4 or full.
Depends upon how low you run the tank. Filled up my 03 Turbo the other day at 242.9 miles on the trip odometer, 19.9mpg showing, the low fuel level warning light on, and the tank took 12.387 gallons of gasoline.

(I have run my 02 Boxster's tank down to where it took 15.6 gallons to fill it, and this tank's capacity is 16.9 gallons. I do not like to run the tank much below 1/4 tank but once in a great while it happens...)

I can't be sure but I do not believe I've ever run the Turbo's tank low enough to have to add 13 gallons or more.

Anyhow, for USA Turbos the fuel tank's capacity is 16.6 gallons (63l).

As for filling the tank, I found in most cases -- and since I often do not know if I'm using a nozzle that will behave this way I assume this is always the case -- I have to turn the nozzle handle to the 9 o'clock position to avoid premature shut off of the nozzle. (The Boxster is less sensitive and I seldom have any problems filling its tank just leaving the nozzle in the usual handle down position.)

Furthermore, since I hate a partial fill up if I suspect an early shut off I quickly check the fuel level gage. I prefer this to trying to get more gas in the tank only to find out the nozzle shut off because the tank was in fact full.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Macster
Depends upon how low you run the tank. Filled up my 03 Turbo the other day at 242.9 miles on the trip odometer, 19.9mpg showing, the low fuel level warning light on, and the tank took 12.387 gallons of gasoline.
Wow -- you get 19.9mpg? Please tell me you drive mainly on the freeway. Otherwise, either my car has a problem or you're not driving your car the way you should .

Old 02-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Snowczar
I've had my 996TT for 4 years now and never had a problem filling all the way with the nozzle/handle in the normal position.

John in Vancouver
Probably affected by the type of gas pumps you have. Around here, the pumps are so sensitive to back pressure (to prevent overfill) that they'll shut off if you look at the handle funny.

Originally Posted by vr4henry
I think you'd know if you were only getting 3/4 full. Unlike many other cars, our gas gauge doesn't sit at "Full" even if the tank is not really full. You'd see the gauge well below the full line if you were only filling 3/4.

Last edited by Aerodude; 02-16-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Morden314 is infamous around these parts
An annoying quirk I'd like to fix sometime...
I use the 9 o'clock method, though on some stations I don't have to if I fill up slowly

Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 PM
kosmo96 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Wow -- you get 19.9mpg? Please tell me you drive mainly on the freeway. Otherwise, either my car has a problem or you're not driving your car the way you should .
I drove from CT to Phoenix last Sept. usually 70 to 85 and got 25.8 mpg. I have an EPL flash, otherwise its stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to fill up your 996T all the way at the gas station