996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

D2 coilovers for 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Feelgood MD is infamous around these parts
D2 coilovers for 996TT?

i'm considering lowering my 996TT a bit. the guys at goldcrestmotorsports suggested the D2 RS coilovers as an alternative to the H&R's (which aren't adjustable except for height). i'm not interested in dropping the cash for the pss10's, but still want something good for dd and occasional track use.

so does anyone have any experience with these? the search fxn turned up zilch.

these go for ~$1400...which is >1k less than the pss10's:

http://www.d2racing.com/content/products/RS_coilovers

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
^ You get what you pay for.
The money you save now buying D2 coilovers will not make a difference because you will have to spend more money on them in the future by either repairing these or replacing blown units.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
D2 should be decent. BTW D2 is same as K-Sport which was tried by some people

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AWD
^ You get what you pay for.
The money you save now buying D2 coilovers will not make a difference because you will have to spend more money on them in the future by either repairing these or replacing blown units.

To that point, there are a lot of guys who spend a lot of time replacing leaking or malfunctioning parts on Moton's and even JRZ. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for as well.

I know I've had good luck with not one but two sets of JIC's where some people have had nothing but problems with them.

I am surprised that Goldcrest advised these though, they are a top notch shop. I guess it's good that they aren't trying to convince people to put 10k into a set of moton's to drive to the shopping mall.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Play it safe, spend a few more bucks and get the PSS10's.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
um you drive a Porsche Buddy.

Why would you fit Nissan quality parts ??

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Simi_996 is infamous around these partsSimi_996 is infamous around these parts
Nissan parts from the GTR is a win in my book. But all joking aside...if D2 and K-Sports are the same, I would probably hold out and get higher quality brands as past experience show that these low end parts are hit or miss. Shops like to sell low end parts since the profit margins are larger and if the failure rate is high, it almost guarantees more business for them later. I considered going with K-Sports, but decided that the cost of installation kills the savings. Also, I don't think cheap suspension parts will help with resale if you ever plan to sell.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Feelgood MD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Simi_996
Nissan parts from the GTR is a win in my book. But all joking aside...if D2 and K-Sports are the same, I would probably hold out and get higher quality brands as past experience show that these low end parts are hit or miss. Shops like to sell low end parts since the profit margins are larger and if the failure rate is high, it almost guarantees more business for them later. I considered going with K-Sports, but decided that the cost of installation kills the savings. Also, I don't think cheap suspension parts will help with resale if you ever plan to sell.

by "D2 and k-sports are the same" do you mean same quality, or like they're the exact same product made in the same factory with different labels?

as for gold crest, they are a legit shop. in fact, they're so legit they didn't push anything on me at all. i asked about coilovers when i was having them put on my 997tt wheels and expressed that i was looking for a cheaper alternative to the pss10's. (in fact, they kinda chuckled b/c they said the pss10's are on the cheaper end of what they often use and said they aren't really as great as ppl say and the price is jacked up b/c of the name.) anyway, they said they had put a set of D2's a customer bought off ebay on the dude's 996tt and the build quality appeared good. machining was good, parts appeared to be good quality, they went together easy and worked appropriately, and the test ride was good after the install. they recommended them over the H&R's b/c of the adjustability. so no, i don't think they were pushing them to get repeat labor down the road.

it's my DD and i do 3-4 DE's/yr and only put about 5k miles/yr on it (car only has 24k on it). honestly, am i REALLY gonna notice the $1000 performance difference between D2 and pss10? and with driving that little, am i REALLY gonna wear out suspension parts? the only thing i've worn out in a year was rear tires!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
i'm considering lowering my 996TT a bit. the guys at goldcrestmotorsports suggested the D2 RS coilovers as an alternative to the H&R's (which aren't adjustable except for height). i'm not interested in dropping the cash for the pss10's, but still want something good for dd and occasional track use.

so does anyone have any experience with these? the search fxn turned up zilch.

these go for ~$1400...which is >1k less than the pss10's:

http://www.d2racing.com/content/products/RS_coilovers
Here is what I have seen not just in the Porsche community, but also in the Audi and VW community when it comes to suspensions. All it takes is a few bad reviews online with suspension before people bad mouth them in most cases. I had a set of koni double adjustable racing coil overs on my old car and they were great, but they ended up needing a rebuild by the time I got rid of it. If they were an off brand shock the their reputation would be trash. Stock shocks would not need frequent rebuilds normally, but it is understood that with racing quality parts rebuild intervals increase. If you think you are going to squeeze the same mileage out of motons as stock shocks you are smoking crack. But that doesn't make motons garbage. It is just the name of the game. The people who get the most upset with suspension upgrades are the people who think they are upgrading to race parts therefore it will be more reliable. Not true. And an interesting thing I saw in the Audi community was report after report of H&R coil over shock failures. Yet people still run them.

One thing to be certain of, is you are not going to receive an actual review on the D2 suspension besides the typical "you get what you pay for" and "go with brand (insert brand here)". The reality is nobody really knows until they try them. If you want to know how they are, you will have to run them and see for yourself. I do know that they are supposedly made by Ksport. Ksport had a pretty rough run in the damper department thy seems to have remedied. But their reputation is still not good due to their past. I have not read an actual bad review from any of the people running the Ksports on their turbo FWIW.

Last edited by VAGscum; 02-17-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Fire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really niceFire is just really nice
Originally Posted by timccloud
um you drive a Porsche Buddy.

Why would you fit Nissan quality parts ??
I hate to see this; even outside of the ksport convo basic mechanics did NOT change when they slapped a porsche/benz/bmw etc badge on the car... And the car is far from perfect, it like every other make has small troubles that make you wonder what they were thinking i.e coolant plugs
Anyone that has ever modded cheaper cars recognizes the high end car tax, 996 is pretty old now and the aftermarket/custom /1 off parts pool is still shallow because of attitudes like this.

back on topic: Couple forum members have ksports and you can find a positive review or two if you search.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 PM
qfix is infamous around these parts
I'm running Ksports on my 03 TT. I bought them used from a dealer. My requirements were to a) lower the car b) be able to achieve a softer ride for the street. Granted my requirements are not demanding as this car will not see any track time. Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I agree with Goldcrest, everything that glitters (and costs a lot) is not gold. There are quite a few people that have run K-sports with good results, I know a few of them myself.

Like I said, I've been blowing by guys with Moton's and JRZ's without one rebuild on my cheap JIC's while they keep having to get canister pressures filled or have leaks and other issues. Bilsteins have their fair share of problems as well.

Goldcrest sure knows a heck of a lot more than anyone here, they've support many years of Grand-Am championship teams. I'm sure they know good build quality when they see it. And they have not led me wrong yet.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 AM
roseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to all
subscribed!!
Feelgood- PM sent.

I've been content w/ my H&R coilovers but I've been contemplating changing them up as I feel my current ride is too harsh and unadjustable.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:37 AM
996TTFred is infamous around these parts
I have H & R's and like the ride, although I have never tried the D2's. I'll keep reading and be interested to see what your decision is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: D2 coilovers for 996TT?