996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

It has arrived - finally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
spb
spb is infamous around these parts
It has arrived - finally

As you can see from pzgren's post we've had our share of the winter here in Switzerland during past couple of weeks.

But today the sky cleared and I was able to pick it up, so here you go:

It is a stock -03 car with reasonable mileage. If I'm missing something with this car, it is some sound in the cabin. And I'm not talking about the radio. Coming from 964 with cup pipe the exhaust on this one lacks some feeling. So if anyone knows a drone free, nice sounding and most importantly Swiss regulation approved sport exhaust please let me know.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Congrats for your car!

Check out the Europipe system, they are one of the best company's and they are from Belgium.

http://www.europipe.be/

Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
Great color!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Congrats on the purchase. You'll love it. +1 on Europipe. I just bought one and need to get it installed. Best sounding no drone exhaust I've heard. Not sure if it is Swiss approved. It is not California approved (no aftermarket exhaust is for 996tt that I know of is) but it will easily pass California smog test and the visual inspection that the inspectors do since it doesn't look radically different from stock.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Congrats and welcome. You guys make me really appreciate our CA weather.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:21 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Welcome to 6speed! Love the color

Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 PM
168 is infamous around these parts168 is infamous around these parts
Congrats, and welcome.
another option for exhaust that maybe a bit cheaper is the Miltek. No drone, and sounds good at WOT..

Old 02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by spb
As you can see from pzgren's post we've had our share of the winter here in Switzerland during past couple of weeks.

But today the sky cleared and I was able to pick it up, so here you go:

It is a stock -03 car with reasonable mileage. If I'm missing something with this car, it is some sound in the cabin. And I'm not talking about the radio. Coming from 964 with cup pipe the exhaust on this one lacks some feeling. So if anyone knows a drone free, nice sounding and most importantly Swiss regulation approved sport exhaust please let me know.
Very nice! In case you don't find an aftermarket exhaust that works for you -- I've heard that replacing the engine mounts (with more solid mounts) produces better sound in the cabin as well. Of course, it won't do anything for the sound outside of the car -- but maybe that's what you're looking for anyway.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:21 AM
spb
Gentlemen, thank you for your suggestions.

Do I assume correctly, that Alex and 'Nor Cal' are referring to the Europipe stage 1 version? If the swiss members on this forum see this, please let me know if you have any experience with the MFK and various exhausts. Of course an option is to keep the standard available and put it back if required. But I could really live without all that hassle.

Regarding the "solid" engine mounts is there any negative aspects that you can think of?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Congratulations...that is a beautiful 996TT you picked up. Enjoy it in good health!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 AM
spb
Alex, I can't unfortunately reply to your pm. I have too few posts so far. I also cannot really help you here.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spb
Gentlemen, thank you for your suggestions.

Do I assume correctly, that Alex and 'Nor Cal' are referring to the Europipe stage 1 version? If the swiss members on this forum see this, please let me know if you have any experience with the MFK and various exhausts. Of course an option is to keep the standard available and put it back if required. But I could really live without all that hassle.

Regarding the "solid" engine mounts is there any negative aspects that you can think of?
I have the europipe stage 1 but have heard nothing but great things about the stage 2 versions as well.

I was thinking about solid or semisolid engine mounts since my stockers probably need replacing but was advised by my tuner that the vibration transmitted by them can cause ECU problems so I am going to stear away although I do have a friend on this board who has them and loves them with no problems. I rode in his car and they definitely give an improved feel when going through the twisties but I never really noticed much vibration or a sound change.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
First....

Drive the car for a few months without changing ANYTHING. Then, make a plan for mods and budget accordingly.... Hope you have a good stash of Swiss Francs, you'll going to need it!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by spb
I know a few folks who've installed these semi-solid engine mounts and have been happy with the results:

http://wevo.com/Products/ChassisProd...isProducts.htm

They all mentioned that the cabin sound was a bit louder (i.e. improved), and that the performance was better (e.g. less engine movement). I wouldn't go with completely solid mounts -- I'd worry that it could have undesirable effects.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM
pzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to beholdpzgren is a splendid one to behold
congrats to your new car dude - have fun with it!

Concerning the sound... getting a really nice sound for the TT which is compatible with MFK is a big adventure. But it depends on where you're gonna check your car. A friend of mine has an exhaust mounted from Edo Competition which is almost empty and a brutal sound - and he made it to get it listed in the papers. Over here, almost impossible. That's why i kept the original ones in the garage ;-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It has arrived - finally