996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Clutch Burning Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Rental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura about
996 Turbo Clutch Burning Video

Have a tuned 996 Turbo with a stock clutch? Unfortunately, this is probably in your future...

Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
What mods are you running? I was about ready to flash and exhaust my X50, but heard even that can eat through a stock clutch.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Rental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura aboutRental Metard has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Carbon
What mods are you running? I was about ready to flash and exhaust my X50, but heard even that can eat through a stock clutch.
That's about all I had...
*BMC drop-in filter
*GIAC ECU Tune
*Tubi Exhaust
*EVOMS Billet Diverter Valves
*GT2 Fuel Pump
*GT2 Slave/Master Clutch Cylinder Conversion

And now...
*Sachs/AWE Stage 2.5 Clutch Kit

I actually had my car in for service at a place that works on tuned Porsches. I told them it was chipped and they asked if I replaced the clutch yet. I told them that I didn't and they said that I will. Sure enough, it started slipping not much later. They said all of the tuned Turbos that come in need their clutches replaced but are rock solid after they're upgraded.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
How many miles before it started slipping? What kind of driving were you doing?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Carbon
How many miles before it started slipping? What kind of driving were you doing?
I think I got about a year out of it, few thousand miles. I took it on cruises once every 2 weeks with some pretty spirited driving but didn't track it before it started slipping. Started in high gears and eventually worked its way into lower gears. I still could have driven it for a while on the stock clutch but couldn't hit high rpm's so the car wasn't very fun.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
My friend had his '05 tuned and exhaust done, his clutch made it two weeks. I think the same time I get the flash I'll just get the clutch done.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 PM
spineguy is infamous around these parts
For us newbies, how much will the rock solid clutch cost us? Just had mine epl tuned.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM
996TTFred is infamous around these parts
I flashed my car a year ago and haven't lost mine yet. My car only gets out on weekends but I'm sure its just a matter of time.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by spineguy
For us newbies, how much will the rock solid clutch cost us? Just had mine epl tuned.
Clutch, flywheel, and labor you are looking at probably at least $4,000. I think it was like a 14 hour job. Can't really remember. I was quoted a lot less time originally but they said the Turbo/C4S takes much longer than the Carrera 2's.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Mine's been tuned with exhaust for more than a year and the clutch is still holding. I am sure it is a matter of time though. I DD my car on mountain roads at elevation every day. So far so good.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Mine's been tuned with exhaust for more than a year and the clutch is still holding. I am sure it is a matter of time though. I DD my car on mountain roads at elevation every day. So far so good.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any indication that it's going to go until it starts to slip in higher gears. I think that mine went after I put on stickier tires but that may have been a coincidence.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
My stocker held up for 15k at 426whp and another 5k with my 18g upgrade at 1.1 bar. When i did injectors and reflashed to 1.2 bar it started letting go in 3rd and 4th. I'm thinking I'm around 500+ wheel now. My guess is the stock clutch can hold around 450 or so whp. About to do the cm stage 3 and flywheel with the gt2 slave conversion.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
My clutch on my X50 just went when I crossed the 50k mile barrier. It's always been too little clutch for the car. Hard launches and any hint of an imprecise 1-2 shift and it'll slip. I'm shopping around for the best replacement but haven't figured out what's the best way to go yet, especially since I'll be chipping the car at some point.