996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Impressions with the New Front Splitter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Looking forward to seeing the splitter in person at the next drive or at Santana Row.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Haven't seen you for awhile, you are working too hard.

Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
Looking forward to seeing the splitter in person at the next drive or at Santana Row.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
Haven't seen you for awhile, you are working too hard.
Yeah i know been awhile. Been real busy the past few months. Hopefully i'll have some more time soon.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
OH my... Do I say anything.

I have watched both threads (this one and the creation of thread)...

All I can say is that the product does not look like it belongs on the road nor does it look like it belongs on a classy car. I also think it creates a serious safety issue... It is a poor attempt at a good idea.

Also you curb it while parking or whatever and the way it is bolted in will not end well for the front of your car.

Simply put I think it looks ugly, heavy and like a cheezy after though bolt on.

Sorry to sound negative.

A good product that does the same thing could be developed but lets face it; how big is the market for such an item.
While I respect your opinion, I disagree with many of the things you say.

First off, this product was designed for improving the performance of the car on track, not for street use. We do understand that most people will use these on the street, so that was taken into consideration, but as a secondary design criteria. The look of the splitter is based off the function. It was designed to maximize the surface area while keeping within the wheel base of the car and still allowing for ease of use when exiting ramps/driveways. The shape you see is putting function before form, something that track people will understand.

The splitter is not very heavy, about 8lbs, so closer to 9lbs with the hardware. It attaches at the rigid mounting points under the car using strong hardware, where it attaches to the lip, the material is quite thin so it would tear away the bolts before breaking the lip off the bumper. We have already had one splitter we were developing fail/bend at high speeds and we have learned from the failure and made it much stronger. If you crash or go off track with the car, you should expect damage just as you would without the splitter. It will cause less damage though compared to a single piece splitter/lip combo like was suggested before.

Since most owners that would consider this splitter have cars too low to clear a curb, we are not really all that concerned about what would happen if you hit the curb. If anything, I believe this would minimize damage because you would hear it begin to scrape before you hit the bumper/lip. The mounting points below the car are all on very thick metal, so the clips we use would break before they would bend.

As for it being a cheesy afterthought, you are entitled to your opinion, but just know that this is designed for performance, not looks. Every aftermarket part for the car is an afterthought, the point is to design parts that maximize performance while maintaining the functionality of the car. In that aspect, I believe this is a complete success. Obviously you do not think this is a good design, and you are obviously not the intended user, the people who want a splitter know what they are getting into and know what to expect, they are typically not idiots. Aye

Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Since most owners that would consider this splitter have cars too low to clear a curb, we are not really all that concerned about what would happen if you hit the curb. If anything, I believe this would minimize damage because you would hear it begin to scrape before you hit the bumper/lip. The mounting points below the car are all on very thick metal, so the clips we use would break before they would bend.

As for it being a cheesy afterthought, you are entitled to your opinion, but just know that this is designed for performance, not looks. Every aftermarket part for the car is an afterthought, the point is to design parts that maximize performance while maintaining the functionality of the car. In that aspect, I believe this is a complete success. Obviously you do not think this is a good design, and you are obviously not the intended user, the people who want a splitter know what they are getting into and know what to expect, they are typically not idiots. Aye
As a person who owns a race shop and spends a fair chunk of time at a race track every year I do know a thing of two about high performance mods. I quite frequently tech cars at the track at both my local track and Laguna when my old US shop would have track days there.
I myself would fail a car with that thing on it at any track day I was associated with.
Here is a link with hundreds of different pictures of Porsche cup cars. You find one image that has some "Heavy" aluminum plate bolted to the undercarriage for a front lip. http://www.google.ca/search?q=porsch...w=1116&bih=680

Front lips get ripped off all the time; in either minor collisions with other cars or whatever.
And for the regular driver when I said curb it I meant pulling into the local Starbucks for a latte. Ram that thing into a parking curb and you have messed some stiff up; badly too. A speed bump, a curb and track curbing are entirely different animals.
Until they closed my local track last fall I would make 6000 +_ miles a year on just my local track on both bikes and in cars, if I am not the intended user then you tell me who is.

You want front down force there is none better than Pikes Peak cars. Now the monster sure has character too

Last edited by Engine Guy; 02-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !

and here

http://www.google.ca/search?q=porsche+cup+cars&hl=en&rlz=1T4GZGN_enCA433CA433&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=fVFMT6bCDoiZiQLk5vC9Dw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBEQ_AUoAQ&biw=1116&bih=680#hl=en&rlz=1T4GZGN_enCA433CA433&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=race+car+front+splitter&pbx=1&oq=race+car+front+splitter&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=3718l4538l3l4698l8l8l0l0l0l7l251l1468l0.1.6l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=f545de8fddceece5&biw=1024&bih=665

I see you edit your post, anyways' look through those pictures and you will see the splitters are mounted towards the back of the front facia. If you "race" you should know the splitter that sticks out portion is only half of the battle. The true test is how far back it goes to keep the low pressure. Also i'm positive the cup cars must use the same supports I used or else theirs upsolutly no way the splitter will stay in tack, or flat at high speeds. Maybe they will stay in tack if you drive and park at starbucks but that's about it. Even before we had the supports we have now , my prototype failed at 160mph and no damaged of what you speak of. The screw's will give out before the supports do.

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 02-27-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
NGNG-RRSuperstar is infamous around these parts
OH my... Do I say anything.

I have watched both threads (this one and the creation of thread)...

All I can say is that the product does not look like it belongs on the road nor does it look like it belongs on a classy car. I also think it creates a serious safety issue... It is a poor attempt at a good idea.

Also you curb it while parking or whatever and the way it is bolted in will not end well for the front of your car.

Simply put I think it looks ugly, heavy and like a cheezy after though bolt on.

Sorry to sound negative.

A good product that does the same thing could be developed but lets face it; how big is the market for such an item.
Sorry to sound negative, but for a guy who bought a Turbo instead of a GTR because, "I was thinking GTR but considering the use of the car I figured a turbo AWD would be a better all around car." I don't think anything you says holds much water.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
http://www.google.ca/search?q=porsch...w=1024&bih=665

I see you edit your post, anyways' look through those pictures and you will see the splitters are mounted towards the back of the front facia. If you "race" you should know the splitter that sticks out portion is only half of the battle. The true test is how far back it goes to keep the low pressure. Also i'm positive the cup cars must use the same supports I used or else theirs upsolutly no way the splitter will stay in tack.
Three words

Light Weight Composites....

On none of those cars do I see an 8 lb plate of aluminum.

Even this one in the link below is cut from a poly carb sheet, weighs ounces not lbs.
http://waterjets.org/index.php?optio...=176&Itemid=31

Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
This thread went south pretty quick. I'll give you the point of view from the casual observer. Obviously very popular guy posts picture of his new splitter. All his friends like it, guy not in the click thinks it's ugly. Friend of original poster calls guy that don't like it an idiot and insults his heritage. Guy insulted doesn't realize he was called an idiot or doesn't care. Maybe he actually is the idiot after all, aye? One of original posters other friends joins the site just to reaffirm that the guy that didn't like the splitter must know nothing about cars.

This is too much to keep up with.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by NGNG-RRSuperstar
Sorry to sound negative, but for a guy who bought a Turbo instead of a GTR because, "I was thinking GTR but considering the use of the car I figured a turbo AWD would be a better all around car." I don't think anything you says holds much water.
Yeah that quote should have said GT3 not GTR. And you can quote what ever you want for your first post.

For me an AWD Turbo is a better car than a GT3 because I no longer have a local track, it has been bulldozed; so my car will mainly be used for all weather on road vehicle.

Nice first post BTW....

Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by OhioC5
Friend of original poster calls guy that don't like it an idiot and insults his heritage. Guy insulted doesn't realize he was called an idiot or doesn't care.

Guy who called me an idiot is the guy that actually made the product.

You hit the nail on the head "This idiot really does not care"

Sorry F1, your front splitter does have great potential, just make it out of something other than metal.....

Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 PM

Guy who called me an idiot is the guy that actually made the product.

You hit the nail on the head "This idiot really does not care"

Sorry F1, your front splitter does have great potential, just make it out of something other than metal.....
I'm not calling you an idiot. Read carefully. Also, this contrustive critism is much better than your first post on this thread. Constructictive cristim is welcome as I can improve the product and make it as the client desires.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 AM
I will give you an idea that would be real cheap, light and strong enough. Cheap styrofoam sheet wrapped in one layer of fiberglass. Its shapeable and workable. You can make it the exact shape as the item you already have now. You want even better use some aerospace type honeycomb.

You will be seeing a custome made wing and front splitter gracing the front GT2 bumper of my car some time in the near future. You can critique my work all you want then.
We considered everything you are going through... and you will see why styrofoam with fiberglass is not a good idea when you start doing it yourself. You will risk your life and the people behind you when that breaks into a hundreths of pieces from the mounting points as its super fragile. Risk severe damage to your vehicle etc. We modeled everyhing on CAD in terms of strenghts with diffrent materials....Not only that, we dont want a "cheap" product. We have a race supplier that is looking into CF but they even said it maybe to strong for the application..taking shredding into consideration and how fragile it will be from certain angels the CF is hit that it wil lbreak automaticly....been there done that ...I went off road on my track day testing this splitter and as you see no problem. I had one fail at me at 160mph, and perform in a safe manner that it caused 0 damage....anyways lets not ruin this thread, you can pm me or email me..and im looking forward to seeing your splitter, im sure you will use the same mounting points i did even tho you are critising them now. ; ) aye.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
That's what happen when you get old and have to go to sleep early; I missed all these excitement.

What I see so far was most people concerned about the safety of others, which I agree. You do need to consider how you drive and where you drive when using the splitter.

Some obviously think that it is ugly; I don't think it is ugly but my car does look better without it. When I purchased it, I was thinking... if it doesn't work, I'll just leave it in the garage. But the trip home really surprised me, so I decided to keep in on for awhile. I may still remove it later and only use it when doing group drives.

In terms of the thread going south, I have seen it many times when people start calling names. OhioC5, please, next time, re-consider before calling people names or try to stir it up. Although, people are expressing their points in disagreement, but they are still healthy conversations.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
What I see so far was most people concerned about the safety of others, which I agree. You do need to consider how you drive and where you drive when using the splitter.
Agreed as well. This is obviously designed for the track, and IMHO belongs there - assuming it passes tech inspection. The potential hazard to other motorists and/or pedestrians in a street-setting are significant.

The "pedestrian I didn't see" scenario is obvious, but what about (for whatever reason) losing this off the car at 70 mph on a busy interstate? Would the rear tires kick it up at the car behind you? Seeing an 8 lb aluminum scythe blade whirling at you at a high rate of speed sounds... unappealing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Impressions with the New Front Splitter