996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is the safest Bolt in Roll bar?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
What is the safest Bolt in Roll bar?

Strongest...

Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
unterbergamotte has a spectacular aura aboutunterbergamotte has a spectacular aura about
bolts

Grade 8, fine thread bolts are adequate for roll bars

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts..._strength.html

Old 02-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
None of them are actually safe unless you're wearing a helmet and a five point. Too much a chance you'll smack your skull on it in a crash during street use.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 AM
rhargy is infamous around these parts
I don't have any scientific evidence, but in looking through the designs I settled on the DAS bar for my car. There have also been track incidents that I saw the pictures of where it performed as it should during rollover.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 AM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
When talking about a roll bar I want much more than "adequate"

Originally Posted by unterbergamotte
Grade 8, fine thread bolts are adequate for roll bars

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts..._strength.html
I want the strongest available...wouldnt you?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Good point, however I plan to use FIA high density padding,

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
None of them are actually safe unless you're wearing a helmet and a five point. Too much a chance you'll smack your skull on it in a crash during street use.
To cover those areas.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 AM
I am 6'2" , which has the most room for seat to be back all the way?

I wan to keep my head as far away from the bar as possible.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
unterbergamotte has a spectacular aura aboutunterbergamotte has a spectacular aura about
Padding will not be able to protect your head

In a roll over scenario, Padding cannot protect your head. You really should consider wearing a helmet and harness to keep you away from the roll bar. The padding only helps with incidental impact with soft body parts. In case of a roll over, your head might sustain catastrophic injury from impact with the bar.
Grade 8 bolts are adequate as in Porsche uses those, but your concerns are understandable.
The question about most rearward seat motion depends on your seats and roll bar type. A simple sport street type bar, without cross diagonal will usually provide the most movement, but is not very safe in case of roll over.
It all depends in how you are planning to use your car.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by unterbergamotte
In a roll over scenario, Padding cannot protect your head. You really should consider wearing a helmet and harness to keep you away from the roll bar. The padding only helps with incidental impact with soft body parts. In case of a roll over, your head might sustain catastrophic injury from impact with the bar.
Grade 8 bolts are adequate as in Porsche uses those, but your concerns are understandable.
The question about most rearward seat motion depends on your seats and roll bar type. A simple sport street type bar, without cross diagonal will usually provide the most movement, but is not very safe in case of roll over.
It all depends in how you are planning to use your car.
+1 - I am always surprised at how many people use roll bars/cages on street cars. Unless you have a helmet and harness system they are extremely dangerous for street use.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM
I understand all the above, when I get the bar I would also get 6pt. harness and FIA

Originally Posted by Nikolas
+1 - I am always surprised at how many people use roll bars/cages on street cars. Unless you have a helmet and harness system they are extremely dangerous for street use.
Approved seats. Obviously using a helmet on track but not the street. Heaven forbid I have a rool over on the street...wanted to limit chances of head injury...if possible. .There is always a trade offf for street/track use in nearly every aspect, just looking for a safe happy medium if possble??

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nikolas

Excuse my ignorance, but with exception of the full cage type bars, they are located behind the front seats, if you are wearing your seat belt what are the chances that your going to knock your head on a bar behind the seat?

Dont get me wrong, I thought the same thing untill I sat in a friends 996tt with an RSS bar.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
You move around an awful lot in a car when you get hit, whether it's a rollover or getting hit from any angle, or running into something yourself. Your seats aren't going to protect your head, the relatively heaviest and weakest supported part of your body, from flopping all over the place. Any roll bar is very close to where your head will travel.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM
OK, If your head can move freely with out coming anywhere near the bar, and you are strapped tight w/ 6pt harness, and your seats are FIA and support your entire head and wont give/break, then your head should be ok w/out helmet on the street...so which bar gives the most "headroom" and rearward seat room/movement for my 6'2" frame

Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Thought the same!

Originally Posted by Duff0000
Excuse my ignorance, but with exception of the full cage type bars, they are located behind the front seats, if you are wearing your seat belt what are the chances that your going to knock your head on a bar behind the seat?

Dont get me wrong, I thought the same thing untill I sat in a friends 996tt with an RSS bar.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM
For your model, Porsche offered the Tequipment Roll Bar. It is frequently listed in the Classified section and looks good as well.