996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is it Possible/Car out of Oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Is it Possible/Car out of Oil?

Running some errands today around town and got in the car to drive home. I notice that upon startup and engine idling my oil pressure reads about 2.5. The Low Oil Warning light comes on and I shut the car off. Look under the car (it's never leaked a drop) and there's nothing.

So I drive away for about 5 minutes and under load the pressure reads 4.5 or so.

I notice that if I shift into Neutral the pressure drops down to about 2.5-3. Stop in at Autozone to pick up some 0w-40 and also read through the manual to learn how to check the oil level. (should have learned this the day I got the car........). So a oil level check shows............NO OIL. I put in 2qts and oil level now reads completely full??

I figure it is time for an oil change and to figure out what is going on. So I buy 8qts of oil and tonight I have spent a few hours changing spark plugs and changing the oil.

Here's my concern............when I drained the oil tonight. I put the car on 2 jack stands in the rear and then jacked up the front with two other jacks. So the car is tilted toward the rear. Removed the filter and oil filler cap and let he car drain for an hour or more. I literally got out no more than 3qts of oil from the car. (remember I put in two earlier today).

This scares the heck out of me. Car seems to have been running fun. Oil temp guage always shows about 180. What am I missing? How could a car that is supposed to take 8.2qts of oil at an oil change only drain out 3qts?

Someone help me out here........

Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 AM
int90 is a name known to allint90 is a name known to allint90 is a name known to allint90 is a name known to allint90 is a name known to allint90 is a name known to all
Forgot to drain the oil tank?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
I have a feeling that I'm going to look like a real idiot pretty soon, but is there more than one place to drain the oil? I just took out the one plug that I saw.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
whatever you do don't overfill it...and be mindfull that the oil pressure sending units are subject to failure and odd readings...if you are going to try and do this yourself better check for a DIY so you do it correctly...when you do find the oil tank be prepared for a massive amount of oil to come out...btw..you should be doing this when the engine is up to op temp so the oil will be hot...a lot of special items (o-rings and a copper and aluminum ring) are needed...be sure to use an open ended wrench to counter torque when loosening the drain plug on the tank a new tank is lots of money

like this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-m97-70-a.html

Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 AM
HIX
Yup, just read a bit further and realized I just drained the crankcase and not the oil tank. It's 2:30am so I'll get back to work on this tomorrow. I feel like an idiot, but better to ask than mess things up I guess.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
check the DIY thread above and all the cautions before you drain that tank...never hurts to ask...you would have felt a lot more like an idiot if you had ruined your oil tank

Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
If you filled 2qt and the gauge shows full, then you were not out of oil. The gauge only shows the top of the tank - not the whole tank. Sounds you were low, but not out of oil.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 AM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Do u have the oil filter tool? It doesn't come off easy without it. Can't stress chucks comments enough on the amount and velocity of oil coming out of the tank! You need an open oil drain pan not one with a top and center whole for oil to drain. Gotta admit, I'm very surprised you crawlled under there to do this without taking look at the DIY

Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Good thing you asked before refilling the car with oil. Had you oveefilled the tank and started up lots of bad things would have happened. There was a thread on here a few months ago about a shop (not a porsche shop) that did just that. The fiy that chuck referenced will help you out. I used it when i did my first oil change on the 996tt and it went nice and smooth. Hope the rest of the job goes smooth for you.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
HIX
I honestly didn't think there could be much to........changing the oil. I've changed oil on who knows how many cars. Never seen more than one drain plug.

(Did read the DIY on changing my spark plugs though!!) Anyway, I've learned my lesson. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
There are also oil drain plugs below each turbo, so 4 plugs in all:

1) crankcase
2) oil reservior tank
3) left turbo
4) right turbo

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Props to you for asking the question man

These cars are a ****ing minefield
Nothing's ever easy or sensible

I've learnt that myself, if anything needs doing I just ask on here first
There's too many people with too much knowledge on this forum not to ask the question

Hope it goes smoothly for you

Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator
then you have never changed oil on a dry sump system before, plus you have lubricated turbos...if you follow the very thorough DIY that Bob posted up you will be fine...don't poopoo the small items like the o-rings and washers as they are essential to doing the job right and having no leaks (you can't use the old ones)...also be very careful removing/replacing the plug on the tank (give extra support with a second wrench) and follow torque specs when replacing