996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weird Clutch Slippage??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Weird Clutch Slippage??

Hey Guys,I never encountered this type of problem with a clutch....When the cars sits for a period to totally cool it down in this cool weather,like overnight stay,,The first few times I get into full boost in 3rd gear the clutch slips....But after those intial slips,,it will not slip anymore, even in 4th gear under full boost..
I always thought that if the clutch was starting to go, it would get worse when it warms up more?? Is there a seal in the clutch area that could slightly leak fluid then get around the clutch suface area and then get burned off?..
My luck,when this started to happen,I was suppose to go to Kelly Moss that week to do the TB swap on the dyno.....
Any help would be appreciated,,Thanks..

Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Do you think you might be overpowering the CM2 and once you clean off the glaze it gets back to normal for a bit? How many miles are we talking...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Just throwing ideas out there. Maybe when the car is cool and the air is cool you are making more power.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I agree! Then it warms up and gets sticky. It could also be the small increase in pressure when the system warms up that adds to that. You are making nice power, perhaps testing the stage 2 clutch.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
John,

From my experience, that's how it is when they begin to slip - it starts in the cold....IMO, you need a new clutch. If you recently put one in, you need a stronger one. I have gone through this...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey Guys,Thanks.I have about 17,000 miles,2yrs,lots of dyno pulls and countless/numerous full throttle power shifts on it...
Also,even if the car gets full warmed up and I go on the highway then,continuous cool air flow.....It will slip the first few times under full boost and after that will not.....
Hey ,maybe this would be areal life dyno test now>>If I put the bigger TB ,plenuem and modified Y-pipe on to see if it slips worse or stops slipping....LOL..

Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 AM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
sounds like its on the way out. Baby it, take some time to find a replacment. Careful with some high performance clutch, some are very stiff. I didnt like the hard clutch in traffic. Became a real pain.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I would have it checked immediately to see if it needs replacement or adjustment. Otherwise, you may damage the flywheel while letting it slip too long.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Hey Guys,,I know that temp and power go hand in hand on turbo cars...BUT its just unbelievable that>>Today the temps were in the upper 70s and no clutch slippage in the same driving conditions that caused it to slip when it was in the high 30s and low 40s.....I did not do any hole shots to confirm real slipage but I did my full throttle power shifts with no slippage at all today ....I am putting a clutch in tomorrow though....Trying the Sachs Performance GT2 style,unsprung, over the ClutchMasters one,sprung..Same pressure plates..

Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
I had that same thing happen on my old Subaru STI. It started slipping sometimes (not all the time) and by the time I got to the shop (2.5 hours away back then, a lot of mountains where I had it) the slipping got very bad. It was the clutch (and had to replace flywheel too).

When it starts slipping it gets worst quickly. The fact that the clutch is fine when it warms up can mean that your clutch is 'just about' to go toast.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Get it figured out, John?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by vr4henry
Get it figured out, John?
Hi,.Its going on the lift at the shop tomorrow.Expecting to see a worn clutch but a good flywheel..LOL....Thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
probably clutch is going and/or glazed flywheel. my stock clutch did the same thing, until it just stopped holding 2nd gear and up. my recommendation is dont keep beating on because it will ruin the flywheel. my flywheel had 16k miles on it and was completely shot because i drove agressively on a slipping clutch.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,.Its going on the lift at the shop tomorrow.Expecting to see a worn clutch but a good flywheel..LOL....Thanks
Any updates?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Any updates?
HI,Its finished,just came back from shop with it....I put the Sachs Performance 883082999764 pressure plate and the 881864001098 special GT-2 style disc in....It feels great !..Better feel then my previous CM set-up..I do not have the GT-2 conversion...But how long will it hold??,we shall see... I am happy with it.Will put miles on it today..
On my old CM set-up the pressure plate was very badly worned
/grooved on the outer surface diameter about a 3/8'' width all around and badly glazed on the inner diameter about a 1/2'' width all around..
On the flywheel side it looked amazingly good..Just some material build up which came off with brake clean and very slight glaze marks in spots that were cleaned up with an abrassive pad...It was flat and straight....
Disc had a pretty good amount of material on it.Except for the grooved and glazed parts on the pressure plate side it looked fine...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weird Clutch Slippage??