996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tuned X50 vs. New Camaro ZL1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM
S4Drifter is infamous around these parts
Tuned X50 vs. New Camaro ZL1

Buddy of mine has one on order and is already talking smack. I understand that this is armchair racing right now since the car isn't even out yet, but I believe I should still be able to hang with him.

My car is an x50 with EPL tune, exhaust, clutch and PSS10's

I think in a straight line I could take him, but on a road course, that Magnetic Ride Control is very impressive.

Thoughts? It would be a fun match-up nonetheless. Same thing goes for a 2013 GT500, but I think the odds would be against me there.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:20 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
You forgot the most important factor IMO. Driver skill, who is the better driver?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I have more experience at the track and HPDE (skip Barber etc...). He is more of drag strip kind of guy. He's never been on a road course.

But from a bench racing point of view which would be quicker in the 1/4 and/or on a road course like Watkins Glen which benefits higher HP cars?

His car is RWD 580hp 4,120lbs 0-60 in 4.0
My X50 with mods 520hp, 3,400 lbs. 0-60 in ? (I have no idea)

I think it would be close in the 1/4 and the road course would come down to the driver.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The 1/4 mile will be a drivers race for sure. Your car should be faster and you should be able to get off of the line easier, just don't try to overdo it on the launch and don't miss any shifts and you will win.

On the road course you should spank him good pending tires used. Especially if you have more road course experience. But your car is faster around a circuit.

Bottom line is that you have the advantage in both aspects, but there won't be any gimme's, you will still have to equal or outdrive him to win.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:32 PM
thomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of lightthomapa1 is a glorious beacon of light
In addition...the Porsche looks 10x better (in my humble opinion)

Old 03-03-2012, 03:48 PM
TweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to behold
I have thought of trading in my 996tt for a ZL1. Pretty good value for the money.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:53 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
it's all about the launch and the drivers, as you can see in the video below

Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by TweakitTT
I have thought of trading in my 996tt for a ZL1. Pretty good value for the money.
Your right it is and I had thought about it. But look at it this way. Sell your turbo for $45k. Buy the ZL1 at $55k. And go slower. Plus the depreciation hit will make up for any repair costs for the 996tt as it gets older.

Still, having a car like that under warranty with cheap parts does have its advantages. But it still will lack that personality or soul. Plus, we are driving $130k cars that have depreciated and the interior and materials reflect it. The Camaro is a $55k car before depreciation and has an interior to match.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
S4Drifter, your avatar is awesome! Have that in high res?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
The ZL1 does have launch control like the Corvette Grand Sport so if he can use that then it could be lights out. He will have the torque out of the hole while you are eating for the turbos to spool. Be a ready for anything!

Whatever happens - film it!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 PM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by AlexN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8CftfzsuzQ
Lambo is sleeping.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Simple weight to power ratios are very much in your favor, and I expect you'll have considerably less traction issues than he will unless he's using the traction control systems. Tell him to turn them off for the most fun!

3450/520 = 6.635:1
4100/580 = 7.069:1

I have a feeling those engines in the ZL1 may be underrated from the factory, so would assume he's going to be pushing at least 600 crank hp, but you're still going to have some advantages. If you're really desperate, throw a few more mods at your car before the actual showdown!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Stock, porsche rates the x-50 at 4.1, 0-60. Modded should get at least .1 off. Off the line you should be good as long as you've got your driving pants on.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Most of the 996TT's on this forum would not have a problem with these numbers....

Here's what Motor Trend says of the 2012 - is the 2013 improved?

The Boss is making do with a mere 444 horsepower and 380 lb-ft from its naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V-8. The ZL1 humiliates the 302's spec sheet by cranking out 580 horsepower and a staggering 556 lb-ft of torque from all 6.2 liters of supercharged V-8. The Camaro has to move 7.0 lb/hp while the Mustang is dealing with 8.2. All these things should add up to the Camaro showing the Mustang its taillights with ease and great frequency. In quarter-mile testing, the Camaro ran through in 12.1 seconds at 117 mph, rather impressive, but the Mustang was only three-tenths of a second and 3 mph behind. Sure, the Camaro has 400 pounds on the Mustang, but we still expected more of a gap.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Mattyrae is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AlexN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8CftfzsuzQ
Whose the retard driving the Lamborghini? Only good driver was the guy in the red Switzer Porsche. Wonder if the Lamborghini needs a new clutch?

Last edited by Mattyrae; 03-03-2012 at 08:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuned X50 vs. New Camaro ZL1