996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any value in keeping the emergency spare?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
The lug question is valid, and a great heads-up before getting stuck somewhere. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
Oh my god!!! thanks for the wake up call !!!!!
this, never even thought about it before

makes sense that the spare can be used with spacers though, spacers are the same size as the hub so i cant see why they would rub ? unless im missing something

Last edited by buzzm; 03-06-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buzzm
this, never even thought about it before

makes sense that the spare can be used with spacers though, spacers are the same size as the hub so i cant see why they would rub ? unless im missing something
After thinking about it, the spare being so small, it should be ok, agree with you...I was a bit confuse for a moment...When was the last time I had a bottle of wine...Humm.... 2 days ago..I am getting old...

Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Had a flat (right rear) while at Laguna last year and nursed it back home on the spare 7miles. Spacer and lowered- did just fine.

I happened to have air available at the track and haven't consulted manual but what are you supposed to do without air?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Etchhead
Had a flat (right rear) while at Laguna last year and nursed it back home on the spare 7miles. Spacer and lowered- did just fine.

I happened to have air available at the track and haven't consulted manual but what are you supposed to do without air?
I keep a bicycle pump in the trunk just in case. Have had issues with low tire pressure in the past. Or you could get one of those cigarette lighter compressor type things.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Etchhead

You should have a pump with the car that Porsche supplied. Its in a little plastic box in trunk - plugs in to cig outlet. Probably a good idea to test it - not sure if mine works still!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 AM
n360rb is a jewel in the roughn360rb is a jewel in the roughn360rb is a jewel in the roughn360rb is a jewel in the rough
I carry a tire plug kit,pair of pliers and pump. If its a nail or screw, have plug ready on tool and pull out the nail. Push in plug and pull out plug tool. Pump up tire. Have done it on my rear and on a friends 997.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Here is another less obvious reason to keep the spare on board, and since I'm a big-time weight weenie (meaning I like to jettison everything that isn't required) my comments might be worth considering.

When I removed the spare and took a test drive in the car, I could tell that the car was handling differently, and not to my liking. Obviously, it changed the weight distribution to remove weight up front...and I was surprised that I could notice it. I liken it to the same difference as when the car is full of fuel and down to a half tank, but certainly noticeable. The car was feeling too 'light' with regard to the steering, and didn't turn in as well.

I put the spare and tools back in and immediately noticed the car handled more securely again, meaning the turn-in. I do notice the same thing with fuel load, but on a light load of fuel and no tire/tools it just didn't inspire enough confidence for me. So, weight be damned...the spare and tools are back on board.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
It doesn't take up real usable space or weigh too much. I just don't see a good reason to pull it out if your car is used on the street. I blew a tire on the Tappan Zee. Thankfully I had the spare. As soon as the bridge ended I got off to the right and swapped that thing out. I couldn't have been more grateful that I had it in the heat of the moment.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTurbRon
When I got my flat it was on the rear and drove home 50+ miles with it. The great thing about Pcars is the engineers thought of everything. If you ever opened up your trunk and removed your spare before you'll see they supply you with plastic gloves and a large plastic bag to fit your wheel into. My aftermarket 19" wheel fit in the bag and back of my car with no problem. Just fold down your back seats! Those Germans are some witty mother f'rs! If you guys don't want your spares I'll take em!
I'd be curious to see with the spare out of the trunk and on the rear, would the now extra depth of the trunk allow the wide rear tire to fit (or is the diameter too large)? Now that would be some neat engineering.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Also, and it should go without saying...but the spare is fairly worthless without the ability to inflate it. I know that sounds obvious, but I've caught myself rolling around with the spare and no pump at times.