996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any value in keeping the emergency spare?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 AM
jonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to alljonty is a name known to all
Any value in keeping the emergency spare?

I thought about it today my car is lowered and if I ever had a flat that couldn't be fixed with the compressor and sealant I would call a tow truck . I don't think I would want to risk using the spare. I know wonder if it is worth leaving in the car?
Has anyone driven there lowered car on the temp spare.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
What's the concern of driving on a spare with a lowered car? Is it due to clearance because the spare is smaller? You might want that weight up front anyway.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
Yes I have and was glad I had it!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
I have had that same thought and came to the same conclusion that i would call a tow truck. There are 2 more good arguments to not have it. If the flat is on the rear, there is no way in hell I would put a donut back there and also where are you putting the flat tire and wheel after you put the spare on? I'm not putting that dirty wheel and tire inside. I guess you could argued its good to have in case you get stranded in the middle of BFE with no cell service and that's all you got to get you out of there. Just my thoughts

Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 AM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
I have had that same thought and came to the same conclusion that i would call a tow truck. There are 2 more good arguments to not have it. If the flat is on the rear, there is no way in hell I would put a donut back there and also where are you putting the flat tire and wheel after you put the spare on? I'm not putting that dirty wheel and tire inside. I guess you could argued its good to have in case you get stranded in the middle of BFE with no cell service and that's all you got to get you out of there. Just my thoughts
When I got my flat it was on the rear and drove home 50+ miles with it. The great thing about Pcars is the engineers thought of everything. If you ever opened up your trunk and removed your spare before you'll see they supply you with plastic gloves and a large plastic bag to fit your wheel into. My aftermarket 19" wheel fit in the bag and back of my car with no problem. Just fold down your back seats! Those Germans are some witty mother f'rs! If you guys don't want your spares I'll take em!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Good thought -- I should check is my factory spare bag is in there. Otherwise, time to toss in a spare garbage bag.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I just need to remember to put the regular size lugs in my car because I'm running spacers.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 AM
And the wrench key if you have a locking lug nut.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
If you do decide to remove the spare remember to retain the tow hook that screws into the bumper. That way the flat bed driver will have no problem loading the car.

BTW .. one of the first things I did was remove the spare. I am thinking that will be a great spot to relocate the battery. another project for another thread.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
I just need to remember to put the regular size lugs in my car because I'm running spacers.

Oh my god!!! thanks for the wake up call !!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Will the standard spare fit over upgraded 350mm rotors and 6 piston calipers?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
I have a lowered car and the large 6 pot calipers, I had no problem using the space saver spare & standard jack.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:39 AM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MY996TT
The spare can't be used with the spacer, so to avoid having to lug around those standard lugs?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uschoice
The spare can't be used with the spacer, so to avoid having to lug around those standard lugs?
When you think about it, why not???? The spare being a very small tire, there should not be any rubbing or any kind of problems. But never tried....

Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
My guess is the spare will probably fit with the spacer, but just in case. I have two sets of OEM lying around in the garage anyway.

Originally Posted by uschoice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any value in keeping the emergency spare?