996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Making a go at repainting calipers and wheels myself.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
lol . . . I am sure the the disposable nozzle on a can can DIY itself into a finely controlled atomizer(air cap) on a HPLV gun.

Seriously tho HPLV guns are hobbyist friendly and inexpensive. You just need to match your compressor flow well.

I have sprayed rims, wings, techart bumpers ect at home, and they turned out nice.

BUT.... you cannot match a job done in a properly filtered and evacuated professional booth.

Tom

Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by S-351
Originally Posted by tvurt
Don't spray your rims with rattle can paint.

If you have a compressor just get a HPLV gun and do it right. If not, just have someone shoot them for you.

I have been down this road many times.......
Careful VAGscum hates posts like this....
Come on! I agree that doing it with a spray gun is better. I just don't agree with the theory of never trying something. Or the thought of "i can't do this". The pros were once amateurs and if somebody is willing to make a mistake and learn from it without giving up, then it helps everyone. Especially when they share their experiences here. Wouldn't you agree? The easiest thing to is throw money at it and let somebody else do it.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
So just buy new calipers???

I hate these type of de-motivational posts on car enthusiast forums. I suppose you think that oil changes are beneath you too? What is your post intended to achieve? Paint works the same on a Honda as it does a Porsche. Cut the guy some slack. We should be encouraging DIY contributions not discouraging.
No...Not at all, I think painting a set of calipers is fine but I am not sure I would paint the wheels as well! I am all for "the DIYer"! BTW I hate people that take things out of context! I was just implying that painting calipers and paint wheels are a bit different.
I apologize if I took you out of context. When you posted:
"I would rethink doing this yourself. It's a Porsche for gods sake, not a Honda civic!"

I did not interpret it as you implying that painting wheels and calipers were different.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Alright, thanks everyone. I'm going to proceed as planned. I think that I have quality paints and it will turn out really good if I'm able to spray it evenly. It isn't a body panel so it doesn't have to be 100% perfect. I think that my results will be better than many who have tried because I am doing better preparation and using better product in many cases. Will begin in a few days, parts currently being sand blasted and waiting on a few things in the mail.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
preparation is everything.n I spent 3 hours in prep work and 1 hour painting.

Make sure when you are done stripping your caliper from the old paint, it looks like this (bare metal)

my calipers used to be red.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I painted my old 996 c2 calipers and they were just about perfect. I used the ceramic paint you get at auto part stores. It held up well too. I sold the car about two years later and they were still in good shape.

My current calipers look kind of rough so I'm going to hit them soon. I want to remove them this time but need to find a DIY article on that since I haven't removed calipers before.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
DucS4Rs is infamous around these parts
http://www.caliperpaints.com/

No first hand experience but I have heard very good things about this product for longevity and finish.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DucS4Rs
http://www.caliperpaints.com/

No first hand experience but I have heard very good things about this product for longevity and finish.

Yeah great stuff, they give you a real high quality metal handled paint brush to lay up that awsome color with.

I would paint my whole car with the stuff if it came in a bigger can and with a bigger brush.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Thank you for that helpful response. Given the the original post was starting with auto part store spray paint I recommended he consider this system.

It is always advisable a test panel be painted before the final product to verify acceptable finished results, especially using a product or system for the first time. The product may be great. It may completely suck.

For relatively small dollar layout one can select the product which he is happy with.

It certainly would be ideal if he had access to a nice booth, high end hvlp gun, and professional grade coatings but that doesn't appear to be the case.

What you and I would do if we were to perform the task may be completely different than the op based on our resources.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Most paints will look good and have reasonable durability. The issue is that the heat produced from tracking the car cooks the paint and melts or discolors it. If you are just driving the car on the street you can use anything. I'm using paint rated at 900 degrees. The question is if this will hold up as well as the factory or specialty paint (that we don't have access to) under extreme conditions. We have documented that 500 degree rated engine paint will not hold up, so I will try the VHT 900 degree paint here. This is ideal because I will be able to use their clear coat and do it just like the factory paint job. If it sucks it is really cheap to have them sandblasted so no big deal.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/caliperpaint/

Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 AM
And no matter the product, detailed prep work goes a long way in helping any product look its best. And you are clearly in tune with that.

Good luck and please share the end results.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
No...Not at all, I think painting a set of calipers is fine but I am not sure I would paint the wheels as well! I am all for "the DIYer"! BTW I hate people that take things out of context! I was just implying that painting calipers and paint wheels are a bit different.
Dude! I apologize here in front everyone for mis-understanding your post and you negative repped me and called me a tool??? Really? Is this really necessary?

Anybody here who knows me will speak for my contributions both here and with actually helping on other member's cars just to help. You want to play the negative rep game and call me names? You sir, are the tool. Eat ****!!!

Last edited by VAGscum; 03-08-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i used a high temp rattle can spray paint on my old m3 and also on my benz, turned out pretty good and has held up perfectly on the benz (no longer have the m3)

i left them on the cars and masked the heck out of them , i wasnt expecting great results and was planning on taking them to have them powdercoated but they looked, and still look good

i spent a lot of time prepping, thats the key imo

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by buzzm
i used a high temp rattle can spray paint on my old m3 and also on my benz, turned out pretty good and has held up perfectly on the benz (no longer have the m3)

i left them on the cars and masked the heck out of them , i wasnt expecting great results and was planning on taking them to have them powdercoated but they looked, and still look good

i spent a lot of time prepping, thats the key imo
Did you ever get the brakes smoking hot?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
preparation is everything.n I spent 3 hours in prep work and 1 hour painting.

Make sure when you are done stripping your caliper from the old paint, it looks like this (bare metal)

my calipers used to be red.
What did you use to get them so clean?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Making a go at repainting calipers and wheels myself.