996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Making a go at repainting calipers and wheels myself.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Have some updates. Things are going very well and some of the doubts I had going into this are now gone. Caliper paint looks awesome. I've been spraying from about a foot away and it is going on pretty smooth. I'm waiting on my PORSCHE stencils but have the red complete. I experimented with the Wurth paint as some of you have warned me. It is quality stuff but it has to be used a certain way. You have to spray it really fine and from a foot distance. It is like sprinkling dust on the wheel, really light coats. The flakes settle in the can easily so you need to be constantly shaking it. Half of it flies into the air but it is looking awesome. I'm going to clear these tonight and get the tires mounted tomorrow. Really happy with the wheel paint.

Sandblast preparation, cannot get any better prep. Easy and inexpensive to do.

2 light coats of primer and about 3 coats of red, looking great.

Primed and sanded several times. The Wurth primer is nasty smelling stuff, blew a few brain spraying this paint.

Fine flake dusting lays rough so that when you cover it in clear it pops out at you.

Looks factory so far, clear coat later tonight.

[

Old 03-10-2012, 02:27 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
Everything is looking great. Like I said before, with enough patience you can make it look damn good. Quick question though... please tell me there is some tape over those pistons/seals? They look exposed but hopefully I'm wrong. Not for certain but you may experience piston failure on your caliper if the paint is inside and all around that aera.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Looking good, man! Great work.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work! My front brakes look like shiza. Luckily the previous owner had Porsche refinish the wheels do still in great shape. Talked to the body shop that redid by headlights and will refinish by brakes later this season.

Good luck with the rest of the job and congrats for taking this on!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
Great job w the Wurth pain on the wheels. I never could get it to lay flat like that. Probably was going to heavy and too fast. Or I just had old bad paint. That must be it - yeah. The paint's fault.

Nice work.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Welp, doesn't look like the wheels are going to work out for me. Props to those who warned me not to do it! The clear isn't coating over and glossing like I'd hoped it would and the silver is a bit too fuzzy. This paint might be better for restoring a classic Porsche. I'm going to take them in and get them blasted again. It looks decent, but that's not good enough for this car. The calipers are going to work great as long as the paint doesn't melt. Still waiting on my PORSCHE stencils.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by DYL 911
Everything is looking great. Like I said before, with enough patience you can make it look damn good. Quick question though... please tell me there is some tape over those pistons/seals? They look exposed but hopefully I'm wrong. Not for certain but you may experience piston failure on your caliper if the paint is inside and all around that aera.
I did spray some on them. I'll have to clean them up.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by texeck
Great job w the Wurth pain on the wheels. I never could get it to lay flat like that. Probably was going to heavy and too fast. Or I just had old bad paint. That must be it - yeah. The paint's fault.

Nice work.
There was a recall with the paint 4 or 5 years ago, or so I've read.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Welp, doesn't look like the wheels are going to work out for me. Props to those who warned me not to do it! The clear isn't coating over and glossing like I'd hoped it would and the silver is a bit too fuzzy. This paint might be better for restoring a classic Porsche. I'm going to take them in and get them blasted again. It looks decent, but that's not good enough for this car. The calipers are going to work great as long as the paint doesn't melt. Still waiting on my PORSCHE stencils.
Had a very similar experience when I gave this a go a few months ago. Could never get the Wurth paint & clear to lay on flat, even wet sanding between coats. Ended up getting out the lacquer thinner and removing the whole mess. I took them to my body guy and he resprayed them properly in a booth...they look great.

The wide flat areas on the turbo twists accentuate any imperfections. I had better luck when I did my BMW wheels that have much narrower spokes. BUT, a couple years later the paint has cracked/chipped in a couple areas AND the clear is starting to yellow. My takeaways: (1) Wurth paint isn't "all that" and (2) you'll never get great results with a rattle can in your garage

Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Sorry to hear that man. Its not you .... it is the application method.

It looks like you are taking the right steps with prep..... just get a nice HPLV and compressor. Make a "booth" out of plastic sheets, and go to a body shop supply and get a respirator, and paint/solvent/clear. Ask them for mixing instructions for the temp / humidity you will be spraying in.

Here is a pic of a TechArt 993 Bumper I did years ago (in my garage). Looked like a factory spray, when I was done!

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Ordered some 18" Forgestar F14's. I didn't want to buy wheels for this car, but these are a steal. I'll get some pics of the calipers after I bake them.