996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who is using E85?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Who is using E85?

Found a station near by with in a 60 min drive, that sells E85 here.

Anyone have any thoughts that is using it and there pros or Cons?

I know distance is a factor for me so i would just fill 2 45 gallon drums and pump it as i need.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
It's great no doubt , but not worth it beeing that it is that far away . It would be just a pain it's . I'd you run low it's not like u can put regular fuel in there .

Also being cold up there you know it downgrades ,.. Some food for thought.

I have one next to my house but that's it , and the only reason that keeps me is that it would be a pain in the azz.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PALETTE

I know distance is a factor for me so i would just fill 2 45 gallon drums and pump it as i need.

Thanks in advance.
Use E85? In your Porsche? No way!

No Porsche that I know of is a flex fuel vehicle thus none would be able to run with this E85 fuel.

They are ok to run gas with up to 10% ethanol. Even this can (though very seldom does) cause problems and if problems running even gas with this rather small amount of ethanol in it occur IIRC Porsche recommends using gas with no alcohol. Good luck with that in some areas.

BTW, my info is that at least in the USA gas refiners have stayed below that 10% ethanol level and blend in maybe up to 8%.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
jpeytonii is infamous around these parts

Thanks in advance.
Why would you want to? As has already been mentioned your car is not designed to run on it. Ethanol is very corrosive and will start eating the seals and other components in your fuel system not designed for that type of environment.

If you think there is a performance advantage you will be in for a rude surprise. Yes, it has a higher octane rating, but ethanol has about 30% of the energy content as gasoline. This way overshadows any gains to be had from the extra octane.

Cheers

Old 03-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Rguy is infamous around these parts
You cant just put in E85 and see gains. It doesnt work like that.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Where are people jumping in out of left field.

Corey has a full understanding on what is needed for the setup.

At that distance man I honestly wouldn't. I have 2x stations within 7 miles and if I ever got SUPER SUPER low and there was no other choice I can swap to my pump file with just a turn of a ****. If I did not have that I would not mess with it. Plus remember the amount of fuel pump, injectors, lines, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Lmao , the people that responded why would you want to are clueless !

He's not planing to just dump e85 in it as is and go , lol wow really? Like Chris said he understands the process to convert over. Basicly the whole fuel system .

So with that said do you really want me to go over the pros of e85 on a boosted car?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
Further reading: http://www.moflexfuel.com/facts.php

Last edited by MorePSiTehBett4; 03-08-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Macster
Use E85? In your Porsche? No way!

No Porsche that I know of is a flex fuel vehicle thus none would be able to run with this E85 fuel.

They are ok to run gas with up to 10% ethanol. Even this can (though very seldom does) cause problems and if problems running even gas with this rather small amount of ethanol in it occur IIRC Porsche recommends using gas with no alcohol. Good luck with that in some areas.

BTW, my info is that at least in the USA gas refiners have stayed below that 10% ethanol level and blend in maybe up to 8%.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Originally Posted by jpeytonii
Why would you want to? As has already been mentioned your car is not designed to run on it. Ethanol is very corrosive and will start eating the seals and other components in your fuel system not designed for that type of environment.

If you think there is a performance advantage you will be in for a rude surprise. Yes, it has a higher octane rating, but ethanol has about 30% of the energy content as gasoline. This way overshadows any gains to be had from the extra octane.

Cheers
Originally Posted by Rguy
You cant just put in E85 and see gains. It doesnt work like that.

... Holy crap, really?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 PM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
There is so much misinformation in this thread it's sickening. Here is a great article to explain some of the pros and cons of e85.

http://www.injectordynamics.com/AlcoholArticle.html

Personally I have used it in my last car with great results. As a daily driver i would not use it unless it was highly accessible. I am having my system built up for e85 soon. Dual 044 bosch pumps via a radium surge tank and fic 2150 injectors.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpeytonii
Ethanol is very corrosive and will start eating the seals and other components in your fuel system not designed for that type of environment.
Yeah you would not pour ethanol down the filler neck of your car yet you would pour it in the filler neck of your face.

Ethanol is not corrosive; Methanol is.

But Ethanol still can swell or break down certain rubbers and it can degrade certain types of coatings as well.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
See what you started Corey...couldn't leave well enough alone huh?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
See what you started Corey...couldn't leave well enough alone huh?
Just think of it as cheap entertainment.

Here listen to this while reading!!!!!!!! Its very topic correct.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice

Last edited by MorePSiTehBett4; 03-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM
jpeytonii is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Powell
Where are people jumping in out of left field.

Corey has a full understanding on what is needed for the setup.
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Lmao , the people that responded why would you want to are clueless !

He's not planing to just dump e85 in it as is and go , lol wow really? Like Chris said he understands the process to convert over. Basicly the whole fuel system .
Well, when I read the following I read it as someone asking about the pros and cons of E85. Apparently based on everyone else's comments the OP already has a purpose built fuel system to handle E85 and is asking about the "pros and cons" of driving an hour to get it. Correct? Sheesh

Just trying to prevent someone from destroying their stock fuel system.

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who is using E85?