996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do you feel about your 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DucS4Rs
I love mine. To all those who don't - they can buy something else. If one really cares what others think - who would you rather impress - "that guy" who thinks because they aren't air cooled or (currently) really really expensive that they aren't a "real porsche" or the hot chic that doesn't know the difference between a 993/996/997 anyway? You typically can't convince "that guy" that anything other than what he may drive is "real" anyway. One ride is enough to convince everybody else it's a real porsche. And lastly with an original sticker price in excess of $100K, I think there is very little comparison to a boxster of any sort.

And even Boxsters have a place...for me that place is just in somebody else's garage, along side their Prius. Neither are bad, just not my thing.
Yep... you got my vote too.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
993's look great until you open the doors. I'm not saying our interiors are stellar, but they aren't horribly dated.

There are always cars that handle better, are faster,etc. Just love what you drive - I never understand why people get so bent out of shape over some headlights/mass production and write off the whole car for it. We could have all gotten Z06's, stretched to buy a GTR, etc etc and there will always be haters.

There's a reason the car is an icon...even if it's mass produced with ugly headlights

Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Mine is a lot of fun, and I love it. I just wish the stock suspension was better. For how firmly it rides, I'm of the opinion it should handle better. My dad is selling his 2000 C2 Cab with full Techart kit, and it feels better to drive in some ways than my newer Turbo (perhaps the RWD plays a large role as well). I know if I buy another Porsche it'll probably be a Cayman or GT3 (as much as I love that surge of torque from this engine).

Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 PM
TheSilverFox is infamous around these parts
That makes me a total loser. Porsche guys look down on me for a Vette and now the "real" Porsche guys look down on me for a 996.

In the end who cares, drive what you like. I suspect that a large percent of people here really like their turbo since they are spending time here.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:27 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hroussard
I think you have the BEST Porsche of the lot and here is why:
1/ best engine - GT1 derived
2/ modern bodyshell with way more space than the 993
3/ sporty (not luxury) interior appropriate for a real sports car
4/ very supporting seats and good ergonomics inside
5/ a sleeper you can park anywhere without getting too much attention
6/ a great many (cheap and expensive) after market options offered by 10's - 100's of professional after market shops, tuners and manufacturers.
7/ made in enough numbers so parts will be available for a long time to come and without having to resort to Porsche to supply them ( hint - $ saved)
8/ that thing goes like stink, all day (and night) long
9/ and last but not least, I have one too for all the reasons above and more.
Agree with everything! I cannot found anything else to add

Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
I love my car, I loved the boxster I had, I will love the 993 n/a I will buy and paint Matt black , I don't care if no one else on the planet agrees with me, they make me happy so bollocks to everyone else

Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Here is my view...

There are multiple types of porsche enthusiast. Many have been the cause of the stigma Porsche owners have.

Their is the aircooled enthusiast. Don't expect any adaptation to change or modernization from them. They like what they like. This is not a bad thing. It just is what it is. We lose with this crown.

Then there are the Porsche collector/enthusiast. These are the people attracted to whatever is rare and worth money. They will settle for a 996 GT2, but it just fills a spot in their collection. We lose with this crown too.

Then there is the trend followers. They will follow whatever the car "scene" tells them is cool. Price is often a determining factor. They rarely take chances on personal interest.As soon as the car falls into the lower(relative) financial class they dump the car to keep them in the same financial "scene". Robots. We loose here when the "scene" thinks our cars suck or when they get cheap.

To summarize, there is always going to be enemies of our cars. The numb AWD system and PSM keep our cars pretty numb out of the box. But this is easily fixed. The 996 was a turning point with Porsche because they started using plastics on interior pieces when they previously used the same manuafacturing techniques they had used for three decades. It is a tough trade. You could either have the rough minimalist interior that had been favored for years by mainly purist. This was a bare bones with leather seats and marginal A/C and heating. The smell of exhaust was the air freshener of these cars. Or, you could have the water cooled cars with the intermittent wipers, heated seats, working A/C and heating. Oh, and memory seats to boot. The issue is/was, this was the car that broke all of the rules. How could we have a 911 turbo that was comfortable?

So is the 996TT a real turbo? Well, turn the PSM off and beat the **** out of it. The car holds it's own. Don't let the car's optimistic and comfortable handling lure you into thinking you can let your guard down. This is an achievement for Stuttgart in my book. Try to get the old torsion spring suspension aircooled cars to do what a modern GT2 or GT3 can do? Good luck.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
I Started with a 79 928 . Very nice car. I sold that and got a 87 928 s4. It's really a musle car. Power slides like butter.I Got my 2001 996 tt a few years ago. I can't think of a better car unless you are talking redicelus money. I couldn't leave my wife out so we got a 2001 996 yellow convertable, that's like a go cart. I miss my turbo in the off season so last week I got a 2004 cayenne turbo. Defianatly a Porsche, you drive it you don't ride in it, very fast, I am looking into a tune for it. This yr the whole family is doing the solo events at the tire rack track. We have a small team with 4 cars. All The porches seam to be more than a vehicle to get from point a to point b. They all seam to engage the driver in a way different than " normal " cars.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
To the OP, I love my Turbo, it's the real deal!

I've had the pleasure of owning 3 Porsches before you were even born. I owned my first 996 when you were 18 and bought a Boxster that I still have when you were 16 or 17.

Sorry, I totally disagree with you're assessment, but that's to be expected, I'm probably older than your dad!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Morden314 is infamous around these parts
By any technical measure the 996 turbo surpasses the cars that came before it. Safety, speed, handling, etc. The closest analogy is a low priced 959. That said, all 996's share the boxster interior and are not built as "solid" as the previous generations with the 3.2L Carrera being a high point IMO.

If it weren't for the aircooled and headlight nostalgia, 996 prices would be higher, but also being much more massed produced helps drive down price. This makes them affordable and finding parts a non-issue. Its hard to find a comparable car that can seat 2 kids for the price.

That said, I'd wish the interior didn't have the rattles, clutch, sunroof issues but all that is forgotten as you get on boost and drive the car.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 PM
ajay is infamous around these parts
Whoever carries that attitude - you should hope not to run into me in my 'fake' porsche on the highway..

Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Not a real turbo????? LOL I have owned 2 other older 911's and I do not own them anymore because the cooling sys. could not handle the heat here in Arizona. I also have a 300ZXTT with about every upgrade you can think of, and The 996TT is my favorite car by far. According to the Top Gear guys, the 996TT is the best handling Turbo because the addition of AWD has fixed the over-steer problems Porsche had in the past. They said the 996TT is the best to date, but does not say "I'm gonna kill you" when you get in and start driving because it feels so comfortable, but you better make damn sure you know what these cars can do, because it is a beast that gives you a false sense of security. It is a true race car. The only thing I dislike are the headlights. Not a true turbo...LOL....Race me, then let's talk!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I was watching a supercar challenge once on the speed channel and watched an AWD 996TT win every event! It had well over 1000HP. It killed the Viper, Lambo, Vette, Ford GT, and Audi in a series of drag races, drift tracks, and long tracks, ect. 2nd place was another 996TT with RWD, but only 700HP. The american cars kept sliding off the tracks while trying to hang with the 996. I wish I could find that show again. I'm gonna look and see if I can find it and post up.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
Enter Content

Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I know....Been looking, but can't find it. It was quite a few years ago.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about your 996TT?