996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do you feel about your 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:26 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I am 54 year old guy that has had many high performance cars in his life.. Vettes,Z/28s,AMXs,240Zs,300ZX turbos,other Porsches and none of them were left stock for long...
I thought my favorite car was my 1989 944 Turbo (had an 1987 before that) , the motor was putting out back then 325HP/350TQ to the wheels,AutoAuthority package...Even over my C5 vette with a moderate built motor and my last Supercharged 2002 C2.....Still favored the 944 Turbo.
But then when I bought my TT X-50 and flashed it and put an exhaust on>>>That was my new favorite car then and it still keeps me satisfied on the street.....But sometimes I still have thoughts into making it a real power beast and then I realize I dont think its worth doing more work on it because of its age???? I am not a track road racer,so better cornering does not matter to me...... Us gearheads are never satisfied.....

Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 PM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
This thread deserves the same answer I would give anyone who would dare ask me this question on the street:

Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I rarely keep cars for more than 1-1.5 years, and I've held onto the 996TT for nearly 3 years already. I love the car, and keep learning new and cool things about it. Best of all, it keeps impressing me with its capabilities...it definitely flatters me as a driver most of the time (except for the #$#$ stock clutch!!!!).

I love my Turbo!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I'm one of the new people who got their car for under 40,000. I'm 27 years old, and lets just say that I'm freaking ecstatic to be driving this thing. I love the ugly headlights, because without them killing resale value, I'd be driving a hideous GT500 Mustang right now. A legit beautiful supercar for 40,000. I'm just beside myself. Not too many Porsche cars in Idaho, so I'm getting attention like it's a super exotic. Ghettoing the thing out by spraypainting stuff, I'm sure that some of you who paid 80,000 + for your cars are just cringing, but I really am having the time of my life with the thing.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The 996 Turbo is pretty much an ultimate performance car IMO. There are better and newer cars of course.

The only thing I miss are the long smoky burnouts most every rear wheel drive car are capable of (something that a rear engined Porsche just can't accomplish whether RWD or AWD). Also wish it was more easy to launch. The combination of the very short first gear, wheel hop, sloppy clutch and on/off turbos make it hard to do well in a repeatable fashion.

It is very easy to get spoiled in this car. The truth is that very few cars/drivers can outrun even a stock 996 turbo. Pretty amazing for a 10 year old (2 generations old) car.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
I bought mine last summer, I took it as I saw godfather, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so from investing point of view 996 tt might be the best car of the moment.

gt1 engine is the key in my opinion, i started to like it more than my cousin's 997.2, yes it is raw but this what I wanted. I ordered some big turbos in the meantime, price will be much lower now also for tuning as it used to be, will have soon a car hopefully in the gt2rs area of performance for much,much less, even much less than my 335 bmw when new and stock. What to wish more ? I might never sell this one, I might become a collector, first piece 996 tt - first water cooled 911

Old 03-10-2012, 11:14 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fadi
I bought mine last summer, I took it as I saw godfather, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so from investing point of view 996 tt might be the best car of the moment.

gt1 engine is the key in my opinion, i started to like it more than my cousin's 997.2, yes it is raw but this what I wanted. I ordered some big turbos in the meantime, price will be much lower now also for tuning as it used to be, will have soon a car hopefully in the gt2rs area of performance for much,much less, even much less than my 335 bmw when new and stock. What to wish more ? I might never sell this one, I might become a collector, first piece 996 tt - first water cooled 911
Yep I agree!!! Hang on to it...

Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Just for fun.... a little personal touch for the best car out there... Cheesy or nice??

Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
The wheels are awesome. The crest is terrible.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:35 AM
dfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud ofdfwerdoc has much to be proud of
the first of the watercooled twin turbos ............ i like that. i love my 996tt. it's fast, reliable, the ac blows cold, it eats up miles like no other car i have .... and yesterday some kid asked to take an iphone pic of it.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 PM
bushman66 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
Not a real turbo????? LOL I have owned 2 other older 911's and I do not own them anymore because the cooling sys. could not handle the heat here in Arizona.
Exactly my experience here in AZ. Had a 1980 SC that was pretty much undriveable 6 months out of the year due to the worthless A/C system. No matter what I did to that system, it would barely blow cool air. Lest anyone think I'm being wimpy, I challenge you to drive in 113 degree heat without A/C!

Anyway, I'm new to the 996 TT (picked it up from a friend last week) and its awesome. Fast, comfortable, handles and brakes great...and the A/C works!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
There are many way cooler cars out there in my opinion, but they all cost huge cash even used and are they as usable as a good old P car.

For the money it is hard to beat a good used Porsche, stellar performance and german quality all in a package that you can drive in comfort daily.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
I love my car but I also hate it because I can't find a client for it!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
I am surprised it is hanging here and at mobile for so long Alex!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The 993 and 946 Turbos are inferior to the 996 in every possible metric. Unfortunately, some "purists" refuse to acknowledge this fact.

Ignore them. You own one of the best cars available.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about your 996TT?