996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

17" Wheels on 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
17" Wheels on 996 Turbo?

Guys,

I need 17" wheels on my 996tt.

Any idea what wheels fit?

I want 2 sets:
17x8 and 17x10 (winter setup)
17x8 and 17x11 (all season setup)

If you have some for sale or can refer me, I would appreciate it.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
That would be a tight fit.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:59 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Turkish
Guys,

I need 17" wheels on my 996tt.

Any idea what wheels fit?

I want 2 sets:
17x8 and 17x10 (winter setup)
17x8 and 17x11 (all season setup)

If you have some for sale or can refer me, I would appreciate it.
HI,,I run all season tires on my 18"...235/40/18s and 285/35/18s...Been doing that for 3 yrs and over 22,000 miles....

Old 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Turkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond reputeTurkish has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnspeed
HI,,I run all season tires on my 18"...235/40/18s and 285/35/18s...Been doing that for 3 yrs and over 22,000 miles....
I assume you are on stock wheels?

Also, winter in Minnesota is HORRIBLE, just HORRIBLE!!
I grew up in Chicago and I visit every year, think of Chicago roads
with even bigger holes and huge creases with snow covering them up
for extra points.

I will bend wheels if I dont find some 17s for winter.
18s should be fine for the rest of the year though.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:37 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !

for extra points.

Yes,stock plated rims.Then go to 245/40/18s and 295/35/18s...Thats even better..Conti's DWS tires have a 295/35/18,plus they make that size in the summer DW's....My next set -up is going to be those sizes......Good Luck..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
What brand are you running?

I fit some 285/30 18 Sumitomo HTR-Z thinking they'd be OK on my 11" rims but they are really stretched and only have an advertised 9.9" tread width vs. the PS2 Michelin at 11.5 tread width. This doesn't bother me, but the handling is a bit screwy. The car seems to be resistant to going straight ahead and somewhat nervous.

Going fast on a big sweeper on the freeway I'd keep having to over correct as the car wanted to turn in more that what input I was giving, if that makes any sense? I still have Michelin PS2s at about 50% on the front and the diameter ratio F to R is at the extreme that I feel comfortable with. It has made my PSM kick in a few times way prematurely and brake my slipping tire in a moderate speed turn.

I have the new Sumi fronts and may mount them tomorrow. They and the rears I have are a match in rolling revs per mile. This will help the PSM issue but I'm not betteing the wanting to oversteer issue. My car feels like a motorcycle with the steering head bearings set too tightly. It wants to go either right or left.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think 17" will clear the brake calipers.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
I don't think 17" will clear the brake calipers.
will not clear the Big Red's... unless they are Custom Made like CCW's but i doubt it. Never Seen or Heard a Turbo/C4S with 17's

Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future

for extra points.

You will be fine with 18's. I live in an area that certainly has worse winters than MN. Even this lowly winter has had more snow than you folks get in a big winter and I run 18's all winter long. 17's, unless custom fit, will not work with your brakes.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
You will be fine with 18's. I live in an area that certainly has worse winters than MN. Even this lowly winter has had more snow than you folks get in a big winter and I run 18's all winter long. 17's, unless custom fit, will not work with your brakes.
Its not about the snow, its about the bad roads.
I do not want to have to think about what I run over during winter.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Its not about the snow, its about the bad roads.
I do not want to have to think about what I run over during winter.
Those bigger daimeters that I run give my car more pothole protection and a noticeable better ride ...Plus,I can get under my car easier to change the oil and work on it.....My car is a daily driver all year around...

Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Those bigger daimeters that I run give my car more pothole protection and a noticeable better ride ...Plus,I can get under my car easier to change the oil and work on it.....My car is a daily driver all year around...
How so? You larger diameter wheels have smaller profile tires. It shouldn't make any considerable difference on the overall wheel/tire combo - still probably 25-25.5". Larger diameter wheels will be more suseptable to damage on potholes.

I used to have 19's on my BMW - within 1 week of installing them, I ended up with a bent rim. I understand the OP's concern.

One thing you can do with 18's is to run 235/40/18 and 315/30/18 in the back. They do add a little more depth to the sidewall giving you a little more protection. The stock sizes of 225/295/18 gives you a 25" diameter while the 235/315 gives you 25.5". That little extra 1/4" of sidewall protection will make a little difference.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks Nikolas for the insight.
I thought if all else fails I will do exactly that (235/40 in front),
but I am thinking of going with a 10" wheel in the rear with 275s.

I hope I can find 17s though, I really want to drive this car year round
without having to feel bad about hitting potholes and creases.

BTW Nikolas any tips for winter? I am hoping to lift the coils and get snow tires.
Would a belly shield help?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks Nikolas for the insight.
I thought if all else fails I will do exactly that (235/40 in front),
but I am thinking of going with a 10" wheel in the rear with 275s.

I hope I can find 17s though, I really want to drive this car year round
without having to feel bad about hitting potholes and creases.

BTW Nikolas any tips for winter? I am hoping to lift the coils and get snow tires.
Would a belly shield help?
Right on the smaller rear sizes as there are no winter tires in that larger size. Ride height is key. I am stock and can get through quite a bit. My winter setup is 225/40/18 fr and 265/35/18 in the back. My next set will be similar to what you are looking for with a 235//275 combo. As for underside protection, I don't have it. Our roads are pretty good though. Not that many potholes at all. When they form, they are reparied very quickly.

Finding 17's will be a challenge. I think they would have to be some custom ralley wheels in a P-car offset and bolt pattern. Not likely unless custom made.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
How so? You larger diameter wheels have smaller profile tires. It shouldn't make any considerable difference on the overall wheel/tire combo - still probably 25-25.5". Larger diameter wheels will be more suseptable to damage on potholes.

I used to have 19's on my BMW - within 1 week of installing them, I ended up with a bent rim. I understand the OP's concern.

One thing you can do with 18's is to run 235/40/18 and 315/30/18 in the back. They do add a little more depth to the sidewall giving you a little more protection. The stock sizes of 225/295/18 gives you a 25" diameter while the 235/315 gives you 25.5". That little extra 1/4" of sidewall protection will make a little difference.
HI,It made a noticable difference in ride to me...I went from the 295/30/18(24.9'' dia.) to the 285/35/18(25.9''dia.) when I first bought my car....That is a .5" sidewall difference.And in the front it went up alittle from 25" t0 25.4",a .200" side wall difference..Within 3 weeks with the stock tire sizes I bent a rear rim and a front one on our great Chicago streets,never after the switch again.......
The overall ride with the same tire pressures got better too....
Maybe some of it had to do with tire construction,maybe??.I am not a track road racer,so I did give a little bit of rear width up for comfort and protection..
Now I might go to the 295/35 and 245/40 sizes..
Thats my findings in which made me a happy camper with it.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 17" Wheels on 996 Turbo?