996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

performance mechanic in columbus central ohio area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 AM
DougA is infamous around these parts
performance mechanic in columbus central ohio area

hi everyone,

my first post, mainly because im rather new to the porsche community. long story short, i now have a 2003 twin-turbo 911. while i know jeeps and old vettes, the 911 is an entirely new and much higher level of performance than what im used to working on. so, i need a highly recommended mechanic in the central ohio area. the car just needs a basic going-over. nothing is wrong with it, as far as i can tell. but, given my lack of knowledge about porsches, i thought maybe i should have a performance mechanic go over the car before i keep driving it on weekends (its not my dd).

i searched the forums and found this posting:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...done-ohio.html

switzer and steinel are mentioned a few times in the forums, but they are in the cleveland area.

has anyone ever used innovative performance solutions (north columbus)?
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/

what about the certified porsche mechanics at byers and midwestern auto group?

thanks for any advice.
doug

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-12-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: active link to a commercial non-sponsor
Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
grayman is a jewel in the roughgrayman is a jewel in the roughgrayman is a jewel in the rough
Doug, I'm from Cleveland, but belong to the local PCA chapter (Mid-Ohio PCA)

I've heard from local guys that Auto Assets does decent work, as well as an outfit call Kraftwerks. I've not heard anyone report being unhappy with Byers or MAG.

I personally use Steinels and Autoban Extremist. Switzer specializes in turbo Porsches, and everyone seems to rave about them.

Good luck. You should join Mid Ohio PCA. Good times.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
If you have gotten your hands dirty on Jeeps and vettes you can work on this car too. Do a lot of reading on the forum, check out the DIYs

I know you can do it man

Old 03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
These cars are actually pretty easy to work on, due to the vast knowledge available on sites like this one.

Get a durametric, basic tools and a knack for searching! You can do almost anything you need.

That said, Steinel's rebuilt my transmission a few years ago, they rock.

Tom

Old 03-13-2012, 06:59 AM
thanks for the votes of confidence. im pretty good with the older cars that don't have fuel injection. one of the problems, though, is that i dont have a lift. getting the 911 safely off the garage floor is a bit of trick given that it has only a few lift points.

its clear that steinels is a cleveland favorite. maybe i should make the trip. thanks for the note about auto assets. i googled them. they are in powell which is pretty close to me.

thanks again for the info. i really appreciate it.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
When I had a house down in Hilliard close to Scioto River and then a house in Dublin, close to 18th hole at The Memorial, I searched for any comments for a good indy Porsche mechanic up there for 3.5 years.

I never heard of any one in the Columbus area for Porsche but that doesnt mean there arent any. I practiced down in Dayton and a few of my attendings used some good indys there but that is still 70 miles away.

Switzer is very far from Columbus, but that may be your best bet when you plan your mods. Drive it, Leave it, fly back and get it.

Last edited by turtle n hare; 03-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Hua
Hua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud ofHua has much to be proud of
Stop by IPS, talk to Brandon. Have him give you a tour of what they have going on in the back. There's a ton of new Camaros and Corvettes in the back going for serious power upgrades.

If you just bought the car, just drive it until something is actually broken or malfunctioning.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:12 AM
thanks everyone. i think ill visit ips and get the tour. the pictures on their web page are impressive. good point hua, dont fix what aint broke.

lately ive started to contemplate putting a pit in one of the bays of my garage. its sounds like a simple thing, till i think about the drainage issues. mmmm....

Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
If you want a little shorter trip try these guys. My friend owns a high end dealership and if any of the German cars need work they go here. I've used them as well without complaint.

http://laylandmotors.com/

Old 03-17-2012, 02:40 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
I'm in Columbus. I used to take my 996tt to MAG, but take it to Auto Assets now. They are very knowledgeable and $80 a hour labor is hard to beat.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM
TRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud of
I like Evan's Automotive by Easton